• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    You apparently haven't seen the size of the illegal population.

Are they 1900+ miles across?

If not, then they are a smaller problem than the open border.
    You can build a wall, but if people want to get into the country bad enough they will find a way. Just look at all of the Cuban refugees that float ashore in Florida.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    You can build a wall, but if people want to get into the country bad enough they will find a way. Just look at all of the Cuban refugees that float ashore in Florida.

So I take it you don't lock doors either? After all, if people want to break into your house badly enough they will find a way.

Some people will manage to get past any wall. So what? Nobody claims that it would be a perfect solution nor is "perfection" the only standard to judge whether something is worth doing.

Building the wall will make crossing the border illegally harder. If you make it harder, fewer people will do it. If fewer people do it, the problem will be smaller.

It doesn't get any more straightforward than that.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    So I take it you don't lock doors either? After all, if people want to break into your house badly enough they will find a way.

Some people will manage to get past any wall. So what? Nobody claims that it would be a perfect solution nor is "perfection" the only standard to judge whether something is worth doing.

Building the wall will make crossing the border illegally harder. If you make it harder, fewer people will do it. If fewer people do it, the problem will be smaller.

It doesn't get any more straightforward than that.
    I do lock my doors and if someone is able to pry my windows open then they are really serious about a b & e.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I do lock my doors and if someone is able to pry my windows open then they are really serious about a b & e.

But you still consider it worth locking your doors? Even though someone who is really serious can still get in?

There's a metaphor hidden in there, in case you were wondering.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I'm curious, this wall that so many of you seem to want built, who is going to pay for it?

Very well observed. The Liberals here propose a big government "solution" to a big-government "problem."

The illegals are less of a threat to our freedom than this country becoming a police state. The last thing I want to see is an escape hatch welded shut.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'm curious, this wall that so many of you seem to want built, who is going to pay for it?

Add up the costs of illegal aliens by the thousands, if not millions, going to Emergency rooms for health care and not paying for it. Add up the costs of illegal aliens being arrested and sent to jail. Add up the costs of illegal aliens being deported multiple times and somehow finding their way back. Add up the costs of lost productivity from people being victimized by illegal aliens committing crimes after those multiple deportations (see OP). Add up the costs of thousands to millions of people being paid "under the table" and therefore evading income taxes.

Add up all those costs and compare them to the cost of building an appropriate border fence (I kind of like the idea of a double fence with 10 to 20 yards separation with land mines filling the gap). I think you'll find that the cost of the fence is less than what we're paying now.

We're paying one way or the other. I'd rather pay to secure our borders than pay the costs of not securing our borders.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have wondered about that. We have so many of them here in northern Indiana. From what I read and see on TV, it doesn't sound uncommon across the country in other states. Then of course it is even worse in the Southern part of the country. I think there has to be much more than they are saying.
    There were newspaper stories out of Allen County where reporters were watching two buses a day leaving for Mexico. The presumption* in the story was that the buses were filled with illegals* that were returning to Mexico or points south because of the shrinking economy. They had various anonymous quotes about how the alleged* illegals couldn't afford to live here and send money to their families in their home countries, as well as quotes from family members in those countries telling that they couldn't afford to live in those countries with the American dollars not flowing their way.

Similar things were written about the Spanish? Mexican? Hispanic? community that lives/lived in Ligonier, Indiana.

I don't remember the estimates of people that supposedly left Allen County and Ligonier, but it was at least in the 10's of thousands.

*Alleged and illegals because the reporters had no proof that they were illegal.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    You know there's these blueprints to this really bad @#@ss wall. I think they are in Germany or Russia some where. They aren't using them any more, and I hear it worked really well......

It would be a great start to getting the problem under control thats for sure.

No need for a wall....we have 28,500 troops in the middle of a mess in Korea that could be placed along the border. How many in Japan, Thailand, Afghanistan, Iraq, Europe and who knows where that could be keeping everyone from crossing our border. Just bring a large amount back and give them permission to fire on anyone crossing that border zone.

Combine that with the wall and we can secure it. America has this reputation for doing the impossible.

Well the money that illegals get from us Americans would be a good start. Currently it cost roughly 4.3 BILLION just in healthcare, add all the other entitlements they get and ya got your funding in less than I estimate 5 years. Sounds like a good investment to me. When the HC bill takes effect it could top 30 BILLION.

Sourced New Study Shows Costs of Illegal Aliens Under House Healthcare Could Top $30 Billion Yearly | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

Last edited:
    Top Bottom