• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe building a homemade shotgun such as this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Va87gB_4AI

...is perfectly legal in Indiana as long as the barrel length is at least 18"?

Is there also an overall length requirement? I think I also read somewhere that the maker would also need to engrave a serial number in the receiver, but I am not certain if this is correct.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Barrel length has to be at least 16.5 as far as I know..

But I am sure someone will be along to correct me shortly

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Building your own weapon is definitely legal. The issue would be building a weapon that is outside legal secs. The only problem I see with building it is that it may, somehow, fall under the "any other weapons" label, which would mean a $200 tax stamp liability. That would be a deal breaker for me!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The one in the video would be an AOW and subject to the $200 tax for manufacturing an NFA item. Also, there would be no restriction on length as long as there was never a stock installed.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Talk about the ultimate SHTF weapon, Felon's hide my illegal firearm, weapon, hide my HD from the kids cause it looks like a curtain rod, keep in my car Bug Out rod.

I'm curious on a few things.

How hot does it get.

What kind of steel did he use.

How do you fix the firing pin in the back and keep the chamber supported enough.

I want, I want, I want!

(I won't break the law to get, to get, to get!)

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Looks pretty straightforward to me, if I was to guess, I'd say it's probably something like a piece of schedule 80 3/4" pipe (about right for a 12ga)inside of a pipe big enough to slide over the 3/4" with a cap on the larger end with some sort of protrusion inside to pop the primer. I don't think a 1" will slide over a 3/4", never tried. It kinda makes sense with his logic of the 18"bbl/26" OAL to make it legal- but I don't know, nor do I have any desire to be a guest at club fed...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My concern is that the depicted firearm is close to a cane gun.

Perhaps he has a letter ruling from ATFE stating that it is not capable of being concealed on the person?

26 U.S.C. § 5845(e) defines the term “any other weapon” (AOW) as any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

In the video he talks about "in my state" but never says anything about the federal definition of AoW. I have concerns.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Looks pretty straightforward to me, if I was to guess, I'd say it's probably something like a piece of schedule 80 3/4" pipe (about right for a 12ga)inside of a pipe big enough to slide over the 3/4" with a cap on the larger end with some sort of protrusion inside to pop the primer. I don't think a 1" will slide over a 3/4", never tried. It kinda makes sense with his logic of the 18"bbl/26" OAL to make it legal- but I don't know, nor do I have any desire to be a guest at club fed...
    Just google 12 gauge booby traps and/or alarms and you will find your dimensions.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    stolen from another site....

Title I firearms you can make freely, and even sell them at some point if you so choose, however, you cannot engage in the business of manufacturing and dealing fireams with being licensed under the provisions of 18 USC Chapter 44.

Title II firearms you can also make, but you must file a Form 1, pay the making tax and receive approval before manufacturing a Title II firearm. It is generally unlawful for a non licensee to make a machine gun (18 USC §922(o)).

The smooth bore rule you reference falls under the definition of AOW for smooth bore handguns. As such, if you intend to manufacture a handgun with a smooth bore or that fires fixed shotgun shells, you'll need to file a Form 1, pay the $200 making tax and comply with the provisions of the NFA, GCA and state laws.

I don't believe IA is an NFA state, check to see if IA permits AOWs.

Further, some states prohibit "zip" guns all together, VT comes to mind.

26 USC §5845(e) Any other weapon

The term “any other weapon” means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    What is the distinction between a cane gun (AOW) and this?

I need to look it up at lunch.
    What is the distinction between the Mossberg Persuader and this?

mossberg-persuader-300x99.jpg

A pistol grip?

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    stolen from another site....
    Title I firearms you can make freely, and even sell them at some point if you so choose, however, you cannot engage in the business of manufacturing and dealing fireams with being licensed under the provisions of 18 USC Chapter 44.

Title II firearms you can also make, but you must file a Form 1, pay the making tax and receive approval before manufacturing a Title II firearm. It is generally unlawful for a non licensee to make a machine gun (18 USC §922(o)).

The smooth bore rule you reference falls under the definition of AOW for smooth bore handguns. As such, if you intend to manufacture a handgun with a smooth bore or that fires fixed shotgun shells, you'll need to file a Form 1, pay the $200 making tax and comply with the provisions of the NFA, GCA and state laws.

I don't believe IA is an NFA state, check to see if IA permits AOWs.

Further, some states prohibit "zip" guns all together, VT comes to mind.

26 USC §5845(e) Any other weapon

The term “any other weapon” means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.
    It seems to me that this is saying that a barrel longer than 18 inches is not an AOW. :dunno:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I guess there is no reason I couldn't build the rear pipe into a small tubular buttstock that would look a little like this...

1777-1.jpg

It might add an inch to the OAL. Perhaps not even that much.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The one in the video would be an AOW and subject to the $200 tax for manufacturing an NFA item. Also, there would be no restriction on length as long as there was never a stock installed.

I disagree.

IMHO, the zip gun in the video meets all the same specs as a title I firearm in regards to length. There is essentially no difference between the zip gun and a Mossberg Persuader.

Top Bottom