• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Several years ago seagate let a huge batch of flawed drives out that caused a lot of problems for me
    But on a personal level Seagate has a been a solid work horse for me for years. Weatern digital onced burned me hard on a warranty issue which caused me to lose nearly 300G worth of media.

Professionally in recent years I've seen the typical 5years worth of solid performance from Seagate.

So aside from their oopsie several years ago. My money goes to them first and wd can eat a bag of ..youknowwhat

How did they burn you on warranty?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Biggest issue right now is PMR vs SMR disks and not all the manufacturers are clear about what disk you're getting. And knowing what flavor of advanced format your equipment will support. 512e works with most things but there is a lot of 4kn stuff coming out that won't work on older hardware.

I have a fair number of WD drives, (Green, Black, Red) with between 2 - 4 years on them. Had some seagates from years ago that failed and were replaced under warranty only to have the replacements fail as well within a year. Just assume they are all equally probable to fail. That is why you add them to a RAID array. Warranty is mostly irrelevant to me as most give you a "refurbished" replacement and my track record with those is very bad.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Biggest issue right now is PMR vs SMR disks and not all the manufacturers are clear about what disk you're getting. And knowing what flavor of advanced format your equipment will support. 512e works with most things but there is a lot of 4kn stuff coming out that won't work on older hardware.

I have a fair number of WD drives, (Green, Black, Red) with between 2 - 4 years on them. Had some seagates from years ago that failed and were replaced under warranty only to have the replacements fail as well within a year. Just assume they are all equally probable to fail. That is why you add them to a RAID array. Warranty is mostly irrelevant to me as most give you a "refurbished" replacement and my track record with those is very bad.

You go with the WD red pro line with 7200rpm or the regular WD red with the 5400rpm?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    How did they burn you on warranty?

Had a disk go bad. I contacted support. They ignored me. I contacted support again. Was ignored again.

Contacted again. They replied and asked me a couple questions. I sent back the answers. They then told me the warranty had expired and there was nothing they could do for me. The warranty ended the day after they sent their questions.

Despite the fact I had proof I had contacted support well with in the warranty window they told me I could purchase support if I wanted help.

Wd will never get another dollar from me.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Had a disk go bad. I contacted support. They ignored me. I contacted support again. Was ignored again.

Contacted again. They replied and asked me a couple questions. I sent back the answers. They then told me the warranty had expired and there was nothing they could do for me. The warranty ended the day after they sent their questions.

Despite the fact I had proof I had contacted support well with in the warranty window they told me I could purchase support if I wanted help.

Wd will never get another dollar from me.

My concerns about the seagates are the hard drives reviews that are DOA.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Only on :ingo: can I hop from a reloading thread to a NAS thread :yesway:...

Question Ingo IT genius'... I have a old Iomega Storcenter IX2-200 NAS 4x1T RAID and now have a drive failing... Can I install a larger than 1T drive say 2T and have the array rebuild ok since they are not matched drives?

Thanks.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Question Ingo IT genius'... I have a old Iomega Storcenter IX2-200 NAS 4x1T RAID and now have a drive failing... Can I install a larger than 1T drive say 2T and have the array rebuild ok since they are not matched drives?

Thanks.

Not sure about your device, but when setting up a raid, it's always to the lowest common denominator...so if you have three 1TB and you stick a 2TB hdd in there to replace the one bad 1TB drive, you will only use 1TB of the new hdd.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mine are all 5400. They are some of the first WD red series. At that time the pro version wasn't offered. Difference between 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM is irrelevant for anything but high IOP (random read & write) numbers and they still don't hold a candle to an SSD for that purpose.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not sure about your device, but when setting up a raid, it's always to the lowest common denominator...so if you have three 1TB and you stick a 2TB hdd in there to replace the one bad 1TB drive, you will only use 1TB of the new hdd.

This.

Also, Ive been doing this 25 years. If I am RAIDing, (always) I just buy the cheapest 5400 I can at the correct capacity. Odds are its going to run as long as the newer specialty drives. And if the gamble doesnt pay off, my data is still safe.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Thanks.

Small world. True story many years ago I actually worked on the helpdesk for iomega. I supported these devices all day long. So I feel like I may be the most qualified on this forum to answer this question.

These devices are NOT hot swappable. Despite the fact the manual may say so.
    Replacing a drive with the exact right drive provided by support would fail nearly Everytime, so putting in a diff drive will more than likely nuke your data.

My advice would be to move all your data off if this thing as soon as possible.

Then try out your new high powered rifle or shotgun on it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I am so thankful to God Allmighty that I am past this phase of my career. I come from the days of the ST-251 (the one that if you hit it just right it would start working again), the era when Dell's Array Controller would initialize the entire RAID Array if you had to change the ROM battery. I don't envy you guys one bit, and I don't miss those 3am con calls explaining to the VP that it's gone, all of it, and we're not sure if the backup has all of the month end data.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am so thankful to God Allmighty that I am past this phase of my career. I come from the days of the ST-251 (the one that if you hit it just right it would start working again), the era when Dell's Array Controller would initialize the entire RAID Array if you had to change the ROM battery. I don't envy you guys one bit, and I don't miss those 3am con calls explaining to the VP that it's gone, all of it, and we're not sure if the backup has all of the month end data.
    Those days are mostly gone, replaced by the likes of cloud storage. It of course has its own problems but usually doesn't involve dying hardware and lost data.

Storage hardware costs have dropped far enough that anyone still maintaining it should have spares on hand ready to go.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    This.

Also, Ive been doing this 25 years. If I am RAIDing, (always) I just buy the cheapest 5400 I can at the correct capacity. Odds are its going to run as long as the newer specialty drives. And if the gamble doesnt pay off, my data is still safe.

Interesting take, I'll have to see what they have available in the 10tb and up group

Top Bottom