• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A buddy at work has been talking about wanting a smoker, so I figured why not?

It's going to be a 24x24x44 double wall with insulation and fire box/grill combo. If anyone is interested, I'll update as I build.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I Figured it was going to be one of those 55 gallon drum builds ( i think they call them big ugly smokers?) I like the direction this one is going!

Ugly Drum Smokers. Cheap, easy to build, effective. Please update your build. I'm currently collecting components for my own smoker build. I'm going to be using an 80 gallon air tank for the cook chamber. It will be a reverse flow design and I'm trying to decide if it will have an additional cook chamber above the firebox or not. Long way from lighting the torch due to too many projects though.

With all the various smoker threads perhaps a sub-forum in the break-room is appropriate?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Got a little bit done tonight. I was squeezing the last bit of shielding gas out of my welder, so my welds don't look the best. I'll grind them down and do it right when I get more gas tomorrow.

Got it framed out last night using 2x2 angle. Tonight, I got started on the bottom. First thing was to install a drain for easy cleaning. I welded tabs to a 1 1/4x6 pipe.

Then, I centered it and welded it to the inside of the smoker. I set it an inch down so I could slope the bottom and make it easier the clean.

Now, time for the plasma cutter.
    I couldn't imagine ever going back to a torch. With the drag tip, cutting is quick and it leaves an almost perfect edge and almost no slag. More pics...

That's it for now. More to come...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Got more shielding gas today and finished welding the bottom.

After that, I moved onto the top. I cut a piece, got it set in.

And marked out for the exhaust vents. The barbeque calculator suggested one 4x4 exhaust, but I figured it's easier to close one off than to wish you had two. So, I cut two in.

After I cut the exhausts in, I welded it in place. I went ahead and sloped it front to back. My thinking is, this will keep any nasty stuff from dripping on the food.

After that, I started piecing together the vents...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom