• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Haven't gotten as much done as I've wanted, but pesky things like work keep getting in the way.

Anyway...

I welded the backside of the side of the smoker.

Then I drilled a hole in the side to run a piece of pipe. This will be to run a probe thermometer through the side without having to smash it in the door. When not being used, it can be plugged. Then I welded the pipe in place.

Next, I welded and cleaned up the inside so it will be ready for the next step.

Welded in the front...

And added a brace for tuning plates. Will it need tuning plates? I don't know, but it's a lot easier to do it now then to add it later.

I also added the fire box to cook chamber opening.

BTW, I added a new tool to my garage.

Where has this been all my life? It cuts through metal with ease and leaves a nice, burr free edge.

That's it for now...

USMC-FF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Looks outstanding! Great idea on the tuning plate, are you going to be adding a spot/slot on the bottom for a slide in water pan? It looks like it'll be a nice smoker when finished.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I hadn't thought about it until you said something. Owner wants one, so I'll build something for it.

Thank you.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    No problem. Its a nice option to have. It really helps with cleaning up and keeping the meat moist.

I've never had a water pan keep meat moist. The only benefit I've found is stabilizing the cooking chamber temperature. Water pans do not equal meat moisture.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Got a little more done. I welded in the rails for the racks and welded in the stops to keep the racks from tilting and falling out.

Yes, I marked out my welds so they would line up. Lol, what can I say, it would have driven me bonkers looking at them if they were uneven!

Flipped it over, and did the same to the other side. I also added the rail for the water pan and a piece of angle iron to help keep grease out of the fire box.

It has now gotten too heavy for me to safely pick up. Fortunately, I have a friend who loaned me his engine hoist. I'm going to leave the back off, for now, so I can run a strap through to hook to the lift.

Tonight, I'll start on the door.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I got a little more accomplished yesterday. I decided to start on the fire box instead of the door. I built the frame,

And added supports for the fire box.

I can't say enough how much I love the Evolution Rage. It makes perfect cuts every time with virtually no clean up. I've got a Milwaukee chop saw that is going to the trash, I'll never use it again.

Then I added the bottom and the sides.

Before I set the bottom, I realized that my measurements were off and my fire box was going to be 25 inches wide. Instead of wasting metal, I adjusted my frame dimensions to allow me to make the fire box 24 inches. This is what I love about working with metal. A little hack, tack, and grind and no one would ever know. You can see below the bottom where I took metal out and re welded. After paint, it will be invisible.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Been at it all day. Had a few set backs (due to rushing), and I'm too tired to post a bunch of pics and an update. So, I'll post a teaser...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Vents are only four inches tall, but the 44 inch cabinet will also act as a vent. It's also getting a BBQ guru, so it will have forced air.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Update...

I got the sides welded on and then realized that the back wasn't flush with the bottom. So, I cut it out, ground the welds down and rewelded it. Then, I put in the piece that will be above the door.

Trimmed out around the top of the fire box and left the sides long enough to weld a handle in.

Got the wheels on, put the smoker cabinet on, did a few measurements, and realized that I had another problem to fix. Originally, the owner wanted five inch steel wheels, but I talked him into rubber wheels. The problem is, they're five inches taller. Overall height of the smoker would have been85 inches and my garage door is 83 inches. So, I took it apart, cut out a section of the frame, and put it back together.

Then, I moved onto the grill...

Spot welded the hood...

Welded and ground it all down to make it pretty...

And framed out the front.

Hopefully, tomorrow I can get the grill completed and move back to the smoker.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Got the lid done the yesterday...

And I started insulating the cabinet.

I got two sides and the bottom completed and I ran out of sheet metal. I should have more delivered tomorrow. I welded the two halves together, and did a lot of grinding.

Water jets are amazing tools. You get to make cool things that are absolutely perfect.

These are tie down points for whenever the smoker is on a trailer. I spotted them where I wanted and welded them in place.

I can't wait to show you what a water jet can really do! Soon, I hope...

It seems that I haven't gotten much done, but I'm making headway. I was hoping to have it done by the end of the week, but I don't think I'll meet my goal.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Got the racks done today. Almost finished up the charcoal basket, and I got the last side stuffed with insulation and welded up. My to do list is getting shorter!
    20140515_131615.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Getting closer...

Drilled a hole in the side...
    20140515_202838.jpg

Why? I'll give you a hint.
    20140516_200135.jpg

20140517_064130.jpg

I fabricated a pour spout and welded it in place.
    20140517_080455.jpg

Then, it was on to the door. Welded the frame...
    20140517_101959.jpg

Tacked one side to the frame...
    20140517_104707.jpg

Insulated it...
    20140517_105048.jpg

Then started welding the sides to the frame.
    20140517_120908.jpg

Got the hinges tacked on
    20140517_143347.jpg

And got the door hung!

To do list...
    Finish charcoal basket.
    Fire box door.
    Dampers.
    Shelf.

Top Bottom