• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When the Zombies come... you will wish you had more ammo.

I still have a few cases of this stashed in a Navy battleship ammo can.

geez was this 12 years ago?

It's Critical Defense with a green tip vice red. Gotta like the marketing though!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I stopped by the AE Ammo store in Greenwood Friday and was chatting with the guy who runs the counter. I learned a bit about how they run their operation. It is nothing short of genius and their orders typically have more than 2 commas in the number and arrive on pallets. Oftentimes when they run a sale it is to fund their next purchase.

They make an honest margin and don't gouge. I'm getting all of my tacks from them nowadays.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

yanmarguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Bloomington
    Shoot each round once.
    :dunno:
    Seriously though, if stored properly it'll out live you.
    In theory, but I would bet anything you would be lucky to find one out of every 100 people that actually have ammunition stored properly. Maybe even one out of a thousand. I mean realistically you would have to run a dehumidifier 24 hours a day I would assume. Most people just have stuff jammed in a safe in their garage or their closet or something. So I feel like the question is legitimate for the average person anyway.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    In theory, but I would bet anything you would be lucky to find one out of every 100 people that actually have ammunition stored properly. Maybe even one out of a thousand. I mean realistically you would have to run a dehumidifier 24 hours a day I would assume. Most people just have stuff jammed in a safe in their garage or their closet or something. So I feel like the question is legitimate for the average person anyway.

I've bought a lot of older ammo from individuals the last few years to shoot in milsurp guns, and never had a problem with any of it. By your logic, it should've all been ruined, OR I've just gotten unbelievably lucky. I don't think ammo is as sensitive as you think it is. As long as it's in its original packaging or an ammo can, and stored in a relatively dry location (i.e., not a garage or shed), it'll probably go bang. Throw in a desiccant pack for good measure, and do your best to always shoot your ammo FIFO (first in, first out).

Honestly, you can still buy 80 - 90 year old turkish 8mm Mauser ammo from J&G Sales. It'll probably have some duds, but the fact that they're still selling it (and people buy it) should tell you something. I'm guessing that ammo has seen all sorts of stuff in the last century and probably hasn't been stored in climate-controlled safes.

Last edited:

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Meh. I don’t think so. Maybe if we were talking paper black powder cartridges from the 1860’s. Modern ammo, don’t store it in the rain, or a super humid environment, and it will be good long after you are gone. We don’t need to overthink ammo storage.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I stopped by the AE Ammo store in Greenwood Friday and was chatting with the guy who runs the counter. I learned a bit about how they run their operation. It is nothing short of genius and their orders typically have more than 2 commas in the number and arrive on pallets. Oftentimes when they run a sale it is to fund their next purchase.

They make an honest margin and don't gouge. I'm getting all of my tacks from them nowadays.

I want to find time to stop by and check this place out. I would be happy to support an Indiana business.

My most recent online purchases have been from Target Sports.

Locally I clean out the ones and twos at the local gun shop. If I see a lone unloved box of something I could use on the shelf I buy it. That way the guys at the shop can pull the tag to make room for another brand.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I want to find time to stop by and check this place out. I would be happy to support an Indiana business.

My most recent online purchases have been from Target Sports.

Locally I clean out the ones and twos at the local gun shop. If I see a lone unloved box of something I could use on the shelf I buy it. That way the guys at the shop can pull the tag to make room for another brand.
    I have never bought from AE, up probably will in the future. Their prices seem pretty good.

penguinship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    Bloomington
    I've been meaning to check them out when I'm in the area. I remember seeing them online for a bit but only realizing fairly recently that they're local to me

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    AE Ammo is great. I have a good amount of 9mm stocked up, but I probably need to see them again soon. I keep spending money on other stuff, like when Rhino tells me about knife sales. :ugh:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I have an endless supply of desiccant that I place in my safes. When the phone company walks away from lead cable I’m in trouble.

Top Bottom