• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My cousin is the county highway engineer here and we have a road sign with 420s on it that is always stolen. He said they tried using bolts that required a special tool to remove and people just ripped the entire pole out of the ground. They went back to regular bolts so they just have to put up a new sign every few weeks.

We have joked about hooking up a fence charger to it, which I think would be hilarious.

That brought up a great memory and made me smile. I was born and raised in Roselawn, In.. Back in the 1950's we had a stop sign in the middle of the street where the street met route 10. A couple of misfit kids thought it was fun to knock the sign down with their old car.

After replacing the sign post 3 or 4 times the Highway dept. set an 8 foot or so of railroad rail in as a signpost probably 3 foot deep.

A couple of days later the rail was leaning just a little and there was car grill pieces and antifreeze in front of it. There was also a car parked in front of an old house with a whole lot of front end damage. (later moved to the junk yard). I'll bet the highway workers chuckled every time they passed the sign!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Speaking of mailbox baseball, what is it with kids these days....

[video=youtube;_3uqkFhnmb0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3uqkFhnmb0[/video]

They don't even know how to do it right!

The world is going to pot.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    My cousin is the county highway engineer here and we have a road sign with 420s on it that is always stolen. He said they tried using bolts that required a special tool to remove and people just ripped the entire pole out of the ground. They went back to regular bolts so they just have to put up a new sign every few weeks.

We have joked about hooking up a fence charger to it, which I think would be hilarious.

He should so do that! But, first, he needs to talk to whoever owns the adjacent land and put up a trail camera to get pics of the dbag getting zapped!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It isn't just signs. Don't leave anything at an unattended shooting range. It will get shot up. I know of what I speak. People are pigs.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Some of you that have been in the shop may have noticed I have a porcelain "Falls City Beer" sign from the early 20th century that is shot to hell...But with like seven distinctive groups....These signs were only at the brewery...Not throughout town and only on their property...The bullet holes were a mystery...Until this past year...

I had a retired Louisville Police Officer come in one day...Looked at the sign and smiled and told me "the rest of story".....

He said back in the 1960's Louisville had a police substation down in the west end...The officers (along with the railroaders like my dad and papaw) would eat in the break room there at the brewery...Beer on tap...You couldn't be "drunk" as a cop or a RR man but you could have a beer with your lunch.....He said the sign was used to test fire revolvers after they had been worked on by the police gunsmith.......It was not a range "per se"...More a "I need to make sure my gun is working and I don't want to have to drive to the County range to do it" kind of target....

My sign has more holes and groups than this one....$1200 with no holes is what these go for....

signs_f-m_005-580x790.png

Vintage-1960%E2%80%99s-70%E2%80%99s-Falls-City-Beer-Store.jpg

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    I shot a hole in a windmill fan in 1965 checking my rifle. It was stupid but everything worked out okay because I bought the windmill in recent years and moved it to my place. I paid $500 for it and a great talking piece.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Same people keep taking a baseball bat to my mailbox.

I’m getting paid back 10 fold for all my stupid shenanigans.
    Where I used to live, kids would take batting practice on mailboxes during high school graduation week. Some neighborhood teens were shooting at my mailbox in broad daylight. I confronted them and they continued. Called the local police and it stopped. I decided to have the unused brick that was used on my house to have someone construct a brick mailbox/ flower box. That solved the problem! My neighbor did call my mailbox, "Fort Mike" after that.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    You all are missing the point. People steal signs because the can not afford targets. (Pay no attention to the fact that they carry a Colt Python or such.) Where is your social conscience? These poor, disabled people need the federal government to provide them with FREE TARGETS. That's the only way to STOP the INSANITY!!! I'm just sayin...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You all are missing the point. People steal signs because the can not afford targets. (Pay no attention to the fact that they carry a Colt Python or such.) Where is your social conscience? These poor, disabled people need the federal government to provide them with FREE TARGETS. That's the only way to STOP the INSANITY!!! I'm just sayin...
    I agree completely. I'll donate my tax money to fund the signs for the impoverished knucklehead shooters. BTW, your icon photo is upside down.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Speaking of mailbox baseball, what is it with kids these days....

[video=youtube;_3uqkFhnmb0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3uqkFhnmb0[/video]

They don't even know how to do it right!

The world is going to pot.

I know someone who got tired of having kids intentionaly run over or bat their mailbox in the country so they basicly turned it into a concrete and welded metal barrier. I think it took out 1 car and no others have attempted. Of coarse in today's society of sue happy pansys and crooks that person could never say that's the reason they made a reinforced mailbox or face possible liability. It's like how you can't put bear traps in your yard or some trespasser can sue you. Stupid laws

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I'm a courier. I deliver all over Delaware, Madison, Blackford, Grant, and Henry counties as well as parts of Jay and Randolph. No matter the county, out in the middle of nowhere, I'll see stop signs that have been shot. I have to ask: Why? What's the point? Please, someone enlighten me.

Heh, growing up in Texas where sign hunting was a national sport, it was a sad turn of affairs to realize one day that highway signs were no longer getting plugged. Heck, any more folks don't even shoot out ice house parking lot lights after closing time.

Top Bottom