• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    So I was trying to save some money and bought some reloaded .45 at the Greenfield gun show a while back. I thought they may have been a better quality than the steel case ammo I was shooting before.

I've had quite a few fail to fire ( about 10% ).

Today one got stuck in my barrel! Wtf?

Yet another lesson learned.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So I was trying to save some money and bought some reloaded .45 at the Greenfield gun show a while back. I thought they may have been a better quality than the steel case ammo I was shooting before.

I've had quite a few fail to fire ( about 10% ).

Today one got stuck in my barrel! Wtf?

Yet another lesson learned.

Good thing you didn't fire after that squib. :eek:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Don't try this at home, but I had a squib once on a noisy, high intensity training class firing line. I kept shooting several hundred rounds during the rest of the day.

The second bullet smacked into the lodged bullet and they both left the barrel. It swelled the barrel under the locking lugs into the slide. Instant accuracy job.

I still have that 1911 and I'll bet I have 20,000 rounds through it since that day in 1990.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I tried to do the same thing recently. I bought some commercially loaded ammo. It was supposed to have been Leo once fired that had been put through all of the paces. I thought for $10 a box I couldn't go wrong. I was wrong, if it would even chamber(bulged cases) you could be sure to have some other problem.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Don't try this at home, but I had a squib once on a noisy, high intensity training class firing line. I kept shooting several hundred rounds during the rest of the day.

The second bullet smacked into the lodged bullet and they both left the barrel. It swelled the barrel under the locking lugs into the slide. Instant accuracy job.

I still have that 1911 and I'll bet I have 20,000 rounds through it since that day in 1990.

That is one rough way to tighten up and old "rattletrap":D

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I never trust reloads from a gun show. You never know what kind of quality control (if any) went into them. I only trust my reloads.

I don't think that one bad experience with reloaded ammo should deter you from trying other brands. It's like having one bad experience with the wait staff at a restaurant, then swearing off ever eating there again. It's not the restaurant's fault.

There is SO MUCH animosity toward commercial reloaders on the internet. Everyone says they'll never shoot 'commercial reloads', but they've never tried it, so they don't know how good it can be.

Some commercial reloaders have very high quality control. Perhaps you may never shoot 'Brand X' again, but I urge you to try the other options on the menu before making a blanket statement like that.

Top Bottom