• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    To remove a bullet or a shotgun wad stuck in a barrel is fairly simple.

Cut a length of copper pipe that is smaller than the diameter of the barrel. Put a copper cap on one end. Fill the pipe with lead birdshot, heat with a torch to melt the lead. Add more lead, heat again until the copper pipe is full.

For a shotgun a 4" pipe will do the trick, drop it in the breech and the wad will be pushed out the end of the barrel.

For a handgun use a length a couple inches longer than your barrel, slip it in behind the bullet and attempt to push it out. If it won't push out, beat it out with a mallet.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    To remove a bullet or a shotgun wad stuck in a barrel is fairly simple.

Cut a length of copper pipe that is smaller than the diameter of the barrel. Put a copper cap on one end. Fill the pipe with lead birdshot, heat with a torch to melt the lead. Add more lead, heat again until the copper pipe is full.

For a shotgun a 4" pipe will do the trick, drop it in the breech and the wad will be pushed out the end of the barrel.

For a handgun use a length a couple inches longer than your barrel, slip it in behind the bullet and attempt to push it out. If it won't push out, beat it out with a mallet.

Find yourself a small "Steel Sales" retailer and they should also carry brass rod in various sizes. I have a complete set starting at .15 up to .47 that I bought as 18" lengths for about $25 and cut so I have a 6" and 12" rod in each diameter. And yes, I have used the .15 one :) a customer at the range had a squib in a .17 revolver then put a second round down the tube behind it.
    When removing squibs, it is easier if you drive the bullet back toward the chamber.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I probably did it the wrong way but I just beat it out with a nut driver a lil bit smaller than the barrel. Cleaned it and doesn't seem to look like any damage was done.

The reason you use a soft metal like copper or brass is that it won't damage the threads in your barrel. A chrome plated nut diver probably could do a heck of a lot of damage if you were not careful, but if you were careful, and if the bullet wasn't too stuck, you probably got it out without any real damage. But next time use copper or brass.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Duly noted! Thanks guys!

I thought about that as I was doing it. I was being pretty careful not to hit the barrel with the driver.

QUOTE=melensdad;2363082]The reason you use a soft metal like copper or brass is that it won't damage the threads in your barrel. A chrome plated nut diver probably could do a heck of a lot of damage if you were not careful, but if you were careful, and if the bullet wasn't too stuck, you probably got it out without any real damage. But next time use copper or brass.[/QUOTE]

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have shot some good reloads, and I have shot some pretty poor. I am kind of selective. Every firearm I have ever seen blown up while using reloads had these things as factors:
    1) The guy who reloaded them was new and sloppy, or,

2) the guy who reloaded them was a blow hard that "knew" how to get the best performance out of a caliber (assuring everyone that he knew better than the engineers, or

3)a baggie of unknown reloads from a gun show, cheap, but no brand name, no label, no address, no phone number, no retail merchants certificate, no license to manufacter and no insurance bond.

Armed with this knowledge, If I am going to shoot anyone elses reloads, they will be from a company that has an address, a manufacturers license and a business license. That seller has something to lose and since he went through all the steps to do his business right, he will probably make the loads correct also.

My two pennies, your mileage may vary
    Good Luck

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I too would never buy reloads with no name brand, address, etc. I have let friends shoot some of my reloads, but only after they saw me test fire them first.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Leo, you are destroying my retirement plans. I figure when I get too feeble to shoot, I can supplement my income by reloading all the brass and bullets I have accumulated and selling the reloads.:D

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    Personally, just about every round I shoot is a commercial reload...a company from Peru IIRC sells them at my LGS...never really had any serious problems. Have had a few FTF's, but on the second strike they fired. Could just have easily been a light hit from my gun.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ah hell you can just shoot those out

I seriously had a "range safety officer" tell me I could do just that when he was supposedly "supervising" me and I was trying to burn up some junk Russian .22LR...

I looked at him and asked if he was really trying to injure me, or just that enormously stupid?

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Well I bought some range reloads the last time I was out and the quality was terrible. I had a bunch of FTE due to light loads and had a few that the case was so bugled that they would load properly. AT first I thought my buddy might be limp wristing my glock but when I had the same problem I said screw and threw that crap away. It almost seemed like they might have taught a class on reload then keep the reloads to sell to people.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Reading some of the complaints makes me question if there is a confusion between what I call commercial reloaded/re-manufactured and just crap reloads from an unknown origin loaded by someone starting their second twelve pack !

I have seen issues and the after math of the latter, but have always fared well with the ammo from the reputable reloaders.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sloughfoot, I would have no problem shooting your reloads. I know that if you were going into the business, you would do things the right way and the ammo would be of quality also.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    The reason you use a soft metal like copper or brass is that it won't damage the threads in your barrel. A chrome plated nut diver probably could do a heck of a lot of damage if you were not careful, but if you were careful, and if the bullet wasn't too stuck, you probably got it out without any real damage. But next time use copper or brass.

could you also use a wooden dowel?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I suppose so, but most trap shooters seem to keep a weighting copper knock out in their pocket because they get used from time to time. Handgun not so much, but its the sort of thing you make one time and have forever.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    There's so many issues/horror stories out there with ammo reloaded from individuals (not manufacturers/commercial reloaders) that when I started shooting, dad won't even reload for me, I can use his equipment, but I have to load it myself.

Apparently he had a coworker that loaded some .357 for a brother, something happened (never found if it was faulty ammo or faulty gun, or what). Long story short, gun blew, mangled hand, brother sued brother.

Dad won't let me shoot his reloads, he doesn't shoot my reloads, makes it simple and easy. Besides, I've always learned better hands on.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've seen it happen in a similar setting. Squib round in a loud, multi-shooter environment and shooter didn't know it. Second round smacked into first and ruptured the barrel and split it lengthwise from muzzle to chamber. It took a couple large hammers to get the bushing to slide over the bulged/split barrel. Nearly ruined the entire gun.

You may get lucky, or you may not, I wouldn't count on luck any day of the week though.

Don't try this at home, but I had a squib once on a noisy, high intensity training class firing line. I kept shooting several hundred rounds during the rest of the day.

The second bullet smacked into the lodged bullet and they both left the barrel. It swelled the barrel under the locking lugs into the slide. Instant accuracy job.

I still have that 1911 and I'll bet I have 20,000 rounds through it since that day in 1990.

Top Bottom