Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    more thought

[FONT=&amp]bul·ly
    [/FONT]

[ˈbo͝olē]

VERB

bullying (present participle)

• seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable)

I understand this is about kids. Most of it goes away after high school? What about after high school? How do people let themselves be coerced or intimidated in our everyday lives? It may or not be more subtle.
      Teaching your kids about deciding how much they will take before standing up is a life lesson. How to deal with unreasonable people which is what a bully is.
    • After a little more thought. I must admit I have no experience with the kids and social media thing. It sounds like an out of control circus. I have already sent a message to a family member on what most important lesson did our parents not teach us. We will meet in a few days to discuss it. How to deal with unreasonable people will be one of my #1s. And to immediately come up with a plan to not let it happen to grandkids. What would that plan entail?

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Bullying isn't a situation where 1 or 2 kids like to pick on the rest. It's where 1 or 2 kids are ostracized and bullied by the ENTIRE student body. If you are different, if you don't fit in with the majority, they will let you know about it every second of the day. It is continuous, it is relentless, and the victims are severely outnumbered.

How does a kid "stand up" to the entire student body making fun of them for being different on a daily basis?

Let's face it. Kids are *******s. They will be as mean as possible whenever possible. Lord of the Flies was not fiction, it was social commentary. And the worst part is that our society ENCOURAGES this type of behavior. Go along to get along...The only way to get up is over someone else, because it's a zero sum game. If you want it, take it, and if you can't take it, break it. We like to laugh at the nerds and the dorks, and put people down for speaking intelligently. We don't value education. We don't value the arts.

What do we value? We value strength, violence, and winning at all costs. Anything else is derided as weakness and foolishness.

In our post modern society we get to make our own rules and our own values, we're held accountable to no standard but our own.

We have created these children through our own values and our standards, and we, as a culture, are reaping the whirlwind.

If you are concerned about the children of this generation, look at the generation that is raising them.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    [FONT=&amp]bul·ly
    [/FONT]

[ˈbo͝olē]

VERB

bullying (present participle)

• seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable)

I understand this is about kids. Most of it goes away after high school? What about after high school? How do people let themselves be coerced or intimidated in our everyday lives? It may or not be more subtle.
      Teaching your kids about deciding how much they will take before standing up is a life lesson. How to deal with unreasonable people which is what a bully is.

Most of it, yes. Just like most people learn to deal with bullies. It's the 2% that don't that cause issues. My wife has low self-esteem and is easily upset by even the pressure of the monthly 1:1 status meeting with her manager (whom she otherwise is fine with). she just doesn't have the confidence in herself to deal with it thanks to her parents woefully under-equipping her for life (she's gotten MUCH better under my tutelage of near-constant sarcasm). She left her last job because the expert that's been there for decades and is in charge of showing newbs the ropes is a jacka$$ afraid someone might take his job (nevermind retirement or death in the near future) AKA a bully. The turnaround for that job is 18-months... same as the bid restriction. IIRC, she was #3 of 5 that have tried now.

My daughter (in kindergarten now), on the other hand, got in trouble for kicking a kid in the stomach yesterday for deliberately mispronouncing her name as a food. Sorry kiddo, gotta tell the teacher till you learn how to take care of things without getting in trouble.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I experienced some bullying. My dad told me you just go ahead and stick up for yourself and do what you need to do. I'll take care of the rest with the school administration.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Two factors that are different now:
    1. Our society is now raising so many weak little ******* that bullies have a target-rich environment of unprecedented density.
    2. Parents won't limit and won't (or can't) properly discipline their kids, many of whom engage in the "bullying" with no fear of consequences because there are few.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom