Bump in the night, likely tweaker on the porch hands in pocket...lessons learned

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Props for using this as an honest audit of your plan...

Fun little story...I have a friend who has firearms "planted" around the house (no kids/family, not much of an entertainer); claims he does that so he is "never more than x feet away from a firearm". At my work,we were doing an electrical upgrade, adding variable frequency drives to some big pumps. During start up, something in one of the old electrical panels gave up the ghost, emanating the unmistakeable smell of something letting out the magic blue smoke. I ran past 3 fire extinguishers to get to the one just outside my office door; the one I see 25 times a day. aside from the fact that the extinguisher I grabbed wasn't rated for electrical fires (like the one in the MCC room that I ran past), I reverted back to what I KNEW; i.e. where THE fire extinguisher was, outside my office.

This is the calculus you have to play out in your situation. When it hits the fan, will your brain default to the closest firearm hidden (that you probably haven't handled for 3 mos, maybe more)? Or will it default to the most familiar firearm? Unfortunately, this probably won't be apparent until a fan moment. You had one, take the time to evaluate your response and plan accordingly.

Thank you for candidly sharing your experience. It's made me take another look at how I handle things at home after the lights are out!

Excellent points on memory and responses under pressure.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Props for using this as an honest audit of your plan...

Fun little story...I have a friend who has firearms "planted" around the house (no kids/family, not much of an entertainer); claims he does that so he is "never more than x feet away from a firearm". At my work,we were doing an electrical upgrade, adding variable frequency drives to some big pumps. During start up, something in one of the old electrical panels gave up the ghost, emanating the unmistakeable smell of something letting out the magic blue smoke. I ran past 3 fire extinguishers to get to the one just outside my office door; the one I see 25 times a day. aside from the fact that the extinguisher I grabbed wasn't rated for electrical fires (like the one in the MCC room that I ran past), I reverted back to what I KNEW; i.e. where THE fire extinguisher was, outside my office.

This is the calculus you have to play out in your situation. When it hits the fan, will your brain default to the closest firearm hidden (that you probably haven't handled for 3 mos, maybe more)? Or will it default to the most familiar firearm? Unfortunately, this probably won't be apparent until a fan moment. You had one, take the time to evaluate your response and plan accordingly.

Thank you for candidly sharing your experience. It's made me take another look at how I handle things at home after the lights are out!

That's a great example illustrating an important reality that few consider. Carrying on your person all the time at home solves that potential problem as well as a variety of others.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I observed a shirtless white male with hands in pockets tweaking out on the other side of largely glass door ten feet in front of me, peering through my front window and banging on the door staring at me and then waving.

Me, talking through the door, nonchalantly putting hand in pocket getting a full firing grip on 642: Yo WTH do you want?
    Tweaker: [who cares what he says]
    Me: Wrong house dude, GTF outta here.

end of story.

-rvb

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Me, talking through the door, nonchalantly putting hand in pocket getting a full firing grip on 642: Yo WTH do you want?
    Tweaker: [who cares what he says]
    Me: Wrong house dude, GTF outta here.

end of story.

-rvb

Yes but you still want LEO involved. They need to know a nut is wondering around loose.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Yes but you still want LEO involved. They need to know a nut is wondering around loose.

We call the cops every time a looser gets the house wrong and should have been next door? Was he threatening? He said he was waving.
    And we wonder why the cops are so busy it takes them 15 min to respond.....

Turns out, it was a very very drunk friend of a neighbor who was confused what house he was returning to.

-rvb

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We call the cops every time a looser gets the house wrong and should have been next door? Was he threatening? He said he was waving.

-rvb

So the tweaker wonders down the street and bothers someone else and then some one else until it escalates into something bad. It happens. Not very time depending on the situation in total. I guess I have just dealt with a whole different level of nut jobs.

one example....late night door knock at a neighbors house, neighbor responded as you did. Nut job drunken drugged up idiot goes down and knocks again, different house. Same response, they sent him packing until he broke into next door neighbors truck and passes out in the seat. Neighbor found him in the morning in a pool of puke and **** in his new truck. Window broken out. When LEO came to scoop his worthless butt up the people up the street came down and talked to LEO. Seems this all could have been averted.
    Just one example.

You do it your way I guess.

-CM-

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    Glad it all worked out.

Glass is not much of a barrier...visually or physically. Lots of great looking solid doors out there. Think of all the people who might look in the house from the front porch when no one is home...sizing it up.

I tend to agree with rvb here about the 911 call...but you were in the situation and I wasn't. Remember though, most departments are inundated with calls and usually have to leave one call to get to another call.

You have security cameras? Might print off a few still photos of the drunk dude just in case something comes up missing around the place soon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Glad it all worked out.

Glass is not much of a barrier...visually or physically. Lots of great looking solid doors out there. Think of all the people who might look in the house from the front porch when no one is home...sizing it up.

I tend to agree with rvb here about the 911 call...but you were in the situation and I wasn't. Remember though, most departments are inundated with calls and usually have to leave one call to get to another call.

You have security cameras? Might print off a few still photos of the drunk dude just in case something comes up missing around the place soon.

So you would ignore as well. ???

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    So the tweaker wonders down the street and bothers someone else and then some one else until it escalates into something bad. It happens. Not very time depending on the situation in total. I guess I have just dealt with a whole different level of nut jobs.

one example....late night door knock at a neighbors house, neighbor responded as you did. Nut job drunken drugged up idiot goes down and knocks again, different house. Same response, they sent him packing until he broke into next door neighbors truck and passes out in the seat. Neighbor found him in the morning in a pool of puke and **** in his new truck. Window broken out. When LEO came to scoop his worthless butt up the people up the street came down and talked to LEO. Seems this all could have been averted.
    Just one example.

You do it your way I guess.

-CM-

Cop calling is not a 100% given. Depends on each situation as to if I want to expose myself to lawyers, court, testifying etc for a transient scumbag. Have to hope the neighbors are on top of things as I can't save everybody.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cop calling is not a 100% given. Depends on each situation as to if I want to expose myself to lawyers, court, testifying etc for a transient scumbag. Have to hope the neighbors are on top of things as I can't save everybody.

Thats not my point. Not my point at all.

How is letting the local LEO know there is some questionable activity afoot going to subject you to the system.
    Agreed it depends on the situation. But if you deem it needed to get the wife to a safe area and arm up then yeah.......make the call.
    Looking out for the neighbors is a round robin deal. We watch out for them and they watch out for us. When we can.

Did you not actually read what I posted. A simple call "Might" have saved my buddys new truck from the damage that was done. Possibly not but yes, if there is some odd crap going on then make the call.

This is just 1 situation I have seen from ignoring the world outside your door.

No worries fellas. Just making what I see as a solid point.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

How is letting the local LEO know there is some questionable activity afoot going to subject you to the system.
    Agreed it depends on the situation. But if you deem it needed to get the wife to a safe area and arm up then yeah.......make the call.
    Looking out for the neighbors is a round robin deal. We watch out for them and they watch out for us. When we can.

Did you not actually read what I posted. A simple call "Might" have saved my buddys new truck from the damage that was done. Possibly not but yes, if there is some odd crap going on then make the call.

Agreed. And if you just arent sure, call the non emergency number and tell dispatch what's up. They'll kick it up to the 911 dispatchers if they think its really important. (firsthand experience)

See something, say something.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    -rvb

When a shirtless man is trying to open your door, and your three young children and wife are there, you certainly don’t go to the door and ask the fine gentleman, “Are you by chance a loser who just got the wrong house? I’m sorry to have been frightened by you in the middle of the night. Please have a good evening.” Circumstantially,
    you seem to assume I realized he was a drunk who was friends with a neighbor, processed it and then wasted the police time for calling them.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Guns hidden throughout the home.. reminds me of an episode of Psych where detective Lassiter has guns hidden all over.

Of course, I can't find it on YouTube.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

i am glad that you have a great neighborhood watch system and everybody is comfortable. However it is been my experience that not all neighborhoods are as warm and friendly as yours. You might be surprised that in the real world of ingoers many do not even know anything about their neighbors or care to for that matter.

Also I hope you never have to hear from the police .....please Mr. mouse come down to the station and look at these photos and pick scum bag out of a lineup for us.

Just saying it is never black and white on calling the police.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i am glad that you have a great neighborhood watch system and everybody is comfortable. However it is been my experience that not all neighborhoods are as warm and friendly as yours. You might be surprised that in the real world of ingoers many do not even know anything about their neighbors or care to for that matter.

Also I hope you never have to hear from the police .....please Mr. mouse come down to the station and look at these photos and pick scum bag out of a lineup for us.

I would go. In a heartbeat. I have before. So what is the fear in this. Retribution...???
    I do not understand your feelings in this but like I said, they are yours. I am good with that but even if you were my neighbor I would watch out for you even if it was not a shared thing.

The real world....really. I live in it. Right smack dab in the middle of it. 2 older single ladys live right across the street. We do all we can for them. They watch our homes. My daughter , her significant other and the terrorists in my avatar live in the house to the north of us. Neighbors to the north and south of us have security cameras as well as we do. We have the area covered. Completely. That is our watch system.
    Yes we live in the real world my friend.

My area has seen a time it was anything but warm. Shootouts in the streets. But that dynamic has changed a lot. Thanks in part to the local LEO and the people that have displaced the bad elements. Pretty quite around here these days. But those times taught us a lot.

Putting your head in the sand is not what we choose to do. We live here. We are part of the area. Agree or not it is what we choose to do living in the real world.

Be safe.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Just saying it is never black and white on calling the police.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps my bad in not making point clear. I am not talking about any one incident or persons relationship or involvement with his community.each one of has different social skills. I am saying that each call and case is different and a Prepped doctrine may have to be altered in progress as to avoid a Conditioned Result that the homeowner does not want for him or his families endangerment. I wish the legal system worked like it is supposed to. But it hasn’t been perfect in my world. Scumbag gets questioned. Scumbag released at local Denny’s, scumbag comes back for revenge.

Not burying head in sand but being VERY aware and deciding if the means justify the end in each case. When the homeowner has to spend thousands of dollars to Perry Mason for a misunderstanding, the family hurts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Perhaps my bad in not making point clear. I am not talking about any one incident or persons relationship or involvement with his community.each one of has different social skills. I am saying that each call and case is different and a Prepped doctrine may have to be altered in progress as to avoid a Conditioned Result that the homeowner does not want for him or his families endangerment. I wish the legal system worked like it is supposed to. But it hasn’t been perfect in my world. Scumbag gets questioned. Scumbag released at local Denny’s, scumbag comes back for revenge.

Not burying head in sand but being VERY aware and deciding if the means justify the end in each case. When the homeowner has to spend thousands of dollars to Perry Mason for a misunderstanding, the family hurts.[/QUOTE]

It is a sad thing that we have to make these judgement calls in this society. The legal system in the end can be the enemy. I do see your point but also hope you see mine.
    I would hope the system would work when we are forced to use it. Taking these idiots off the streets but yes, I see your point. While I may not fully agree with it I do see it.

At some point we have to take a stand. The only way I could really explain would be over coffee. To share on the internet is not always the best way. The printed word just does not carry the weight.

Be safe.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OC at home except in bed and then in bed holster.

New door! If you are going yo frost it you are losing the benefit of being able to see through it anyway.

The Larsen security storm door is a VG product.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Not burying head in sand but being VERY aware and deciding if the means justify the end in each case. When the homeowner has to spend thousands of dollars to Perry Mason for a misunderstanding, the family hurts.

Yes I do see where you are coming from that is why I use the terms "not always"

Would love to chat over coffee and maybe pie....

317-258-5545

It is a sad thing that we have to make these judgement calls in this society. The legal system in the end can be the enemy. I do see your point but also hope you see mine.
    I would hope the system would work when we are forced to use it. Taking these idiots off the streets but yes, I see your point. While I may not fully agree with it I do see it.

At some point we have to take a stand. The only way I could really explain would be over coffee. To share on the internet is not always the best way. The printed word just does not carry the weight.

Be safe.[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom