Bump in the night, likely tweaker on the porch hands in pocket...lessons learned

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    All this talk of neighbors watching out is a reality I wish I had. Living in a less than desirable apartment complex has led to some rather interesting interactions with neighbors and more than one instance of people knocking on the door at 2am. Usually they are looking for their dealers house. Through experience we have learned impd takes about 20 minutes to show up. Let's just say that if its after 10pm and you knock on our door you no longer receive a warm welcome. Our bedroom window has a view of the front door and my woman is there ready with a 20ga while I answer the door with a holstered handgun. I always carry at home until bed, then it's in a pistol safe on the nightstand. Thankyou for sharing your experience, hopefully we can all learn from it and use it as a chance to go over our own plans.

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    So you would ignore as well. ???

I did not say ignore. I said I tended to agree with rvb's point, but the OP was in the situation, not me.

I don't live in the city in a home with a glass door. It would not be possible for a drunk to be standing on my front porch after mistaking my family's house for a neighbor's house...and for a drunk to be on my porch at night means several other systems had failed completely...or someone had stolen the gate, fence, security system and kidnapped the dogs:)

Where I live if we see someone who is sketchy walking the road, or driving / parking here and there...we call our neighbors and they call us. I take looking out for our neighbors very seriously, as they are also all our friends.

If a person believes they have an emergency that they cannot handle, call 911. An interesting aside, 911 just celebrated its 50th birthday in Indiana. First ever 911 call in Indiana was made in 1968, in Huntington Indiana.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did not say ignore. I said I tended to agree with rvb's point, but the OP was in the situation, not me.

I don't live in the city in a home with a glass door. It would not be possible for a drunk to be standing on my front porch after mistaking my family's house for a neighbor's house...and for a drunk to be on my porch at night means several other systems had failed completely...or someone had stolen the gate, fence, security system and kidnapped the dogs:)

Where I live if we see someone who is sketchy walking the road, or driving / parking here and there...we call our neighbors and they call us. I take looking out for our neighbors very seriously, as they are also all our friends.

If a person believes they have an emergency that they cannot handle, call 911. An interesting aside, 911 just celebrated its 50th birthday in Indiana. First ever 911 call in Indiana was made in 1968, in Huntington Indiana.

Thank you.

I am not knocking anyone's outlook on how they address these situations. We all see the world through our own eyes from our own experiences.
    My area has been and can still get a little rough when outside influences come in looking for trouble. The drug sub-culture has a hold on the fringes. There seems to be no escape from this if you live in the city. Not completely.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    It's not just the big cities my friend... lots of little places around here that are ate up with the nasty.

You are right my friend. Evil has no permanent zip code. I have many real life experiences that have chiseled out my beliefs. Even my friend Mas will tell you it is very hard to take statements or write in true detail about crime and scenarios. I can however justify my StreetWise Series of education by making exact statements on what I do. I will be glad to discuss any of these in a session or one on one over coffee.

I work hard at mastering all the firearms to the very best of my ability including revolver and long guns.
    I will continue the shooting sports and load and shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year until I cannot afford it.
    I will wipe all my carry ammo.
    I will not call police until I think it is time to turn over control.
    I will not trust my street holsters to plastic.
    I will not trust my street guns to rails, lights, lasers, dots, Fiber Optics, plastic magazine followers, cheap ass third world ammo or subcaliber bullets.
    I will always work on SA and continue to teach my family.
    I will always build relationships with the people i do business with including the postmaster, UPS and FedEx.
    I will work hard and maintain a neighborhood watch program and will question any one on my street I feel the need to.
    I will try to avoid the fight.
    I will trust my personal lighting to Surefire.
    I will trust my tools to Cold Steel and Randall.
    I will support our Freedoms and the 2nd.
    I will continue to teach and help the sportsman enhance his skill set.

My Life. My Creed.

Be careful out there.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Me, talking through the door, nonchalantly putting hand in pocket getting a full firing grip on 642: Yo WTH do you want?
    Tweaker: [who cares what he says]
    Me: Wrong house dude, GTF outta here.

end of story.

-rvb

Can you send an officer to answer my door?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I don't wipe ammo.:dunno:
    My best shooter has fiber optics.:starwars:
    I fight when hands are put on me.:nono:

I too like my FO sights on my race guns but still will only carry solid steel on the street. I have seen too many failures of FO. They get compromised by the elements and cleaning agents, become brittle and then fall out when you need them most. Not to mention breaking on urban clutter. The frame work that holds the tube is a weak link as well. I can rip a jugular, tear up unwanted hands on my gun, break glass, even rip open a bag of beans if need be and my front sight will still be there. Just sayin...

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I will say, not all officers will perceive you as a threar just because you have a firearm in hand. I was out looking under my barns for coyote pups that were whining at 0200. I had my handgun and a light out looking. Officer walked up, shined his light right on my hand, asked why I was outside at 0200 in a backyard with a flashlight and then wished me a good night

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are right my friend. Evil has no permanent zip code. I have many real life experiences that have chiseled out my beliefs. Even my friend Mas will tell you it is very hard to take statements or write in true detail about crime and scenarios. I can however justify my StreetWise Series of education by making exact statements on what I do. I will be glad to discuss any of these in a session or one on one over coffee.

I work hard at mastering all the firearms to the very best of my ability including revolver and long guns.
    I will continue the shooting sports and load and shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year until I cannot afford it.
    I will wipe all my carry ammo.
    I will not call police until I think it is time to turn over control.
    I will not trust my street holsters to plastic.
    I will not trust my street guns to rails, lights, lasers, dots, Fiber Optics, plastic magazine followers, cheap ass third world ammo or subcaliber bullets.
    I will always work on SA and continue to teach my family.
    I will always build relationships with the people i do business with including the postmaster, UPS and FedEx.
    I will work hard and maintain a neighborhood watch program and will question any one on my street I feel the need to.
    I will try to avoid the fight.
    I will trust my personal lighting to Surefire.
    I will trust my tools to Cold Steel and Randall.
    I will support our Freedoms and the 2nd.
    I will continue to teach and help the sportsman enhance his skill set.

My Life. My Creed.

Be careful out there.

Now that would be a good cup of coffee right there.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I too like my FO sights on my race guns but still will only carry solid steel on the street. I have seen too many failures of FO. They get compromised by the elements and cleaning agents, become brittle and then fall out when you need them most. Not to mention breaking on urban clutter. The frame work that holds the tube is a weak link as well. I can rip a jugular, tear up unwanted hands on my gun, break glass, even rip open a bag of beans if need be and my front sight will still be there. Just sayin...

:yesway:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I got one of those video doorbells. My house, like yours is not tactically set up, I have to walk past the front door window to get to my firearms if they are not on my person. The video doorbell gives me the chance to at least see what is going on from a hidden location before I turn to corner to a surprise. If the coast is clear, I can get to my firearms quickly. If it isn't, I can escape through an alternate exit.

There are many on the market, for about $200 bucks, you can likely install in yourself - I did.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    When I move into a house; I take the screws out of the door hinges and replace the screws with 4" long ones. Same on the plates for the latches. You did well. Looking to do better is smart.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    We received a Ring doorbell as a gift, I like having it. I can get movement and doorbell notifications. I can view the camera live at any point. I can talk to who is at the door and hear what they have to say. The battery is going on 1 year and 4 months on the initial charge. I pay a $35 yearly fee for local notifications from other users and it stores video for playback a longer period.

Top Bottom