• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    Yes, I used ATT-compatible "burner" flip phones with my ATT SIM card for many years. I'll do the same with my StraighTalk SIM.

I must have misunderstood the concept of the topic! As long as the SIM card is functioning, you're good to go with anything that will function with it.

Yep. Can 2nd this. For years I would buy ATT go phones and just flip my sim card to the next one when things happened. Cannot do that now with my so called 'smart phone'. But I do keep a $20 unopened go phone in the truck. Figure I can charge it off the truck / solar panel worst case. I have my phone list in various electronic storage since its not going to be on the burner phone.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    If you go to Tracfone's website you can get the 365 days for $49.99.

With Tracfone, you can buy, say 60 minutes that gives you 90 days of service, or just buy 365 days of service that keeps the phone active regardless of the number of minutes. If you need more minutes, buy them. The service days that go with the minutes will add onto whatever service time you have, so if, for instance, you buy the 365 days and then, a couple of months later, buy 60 minutes that come with 90 days, those 90 days will tack on the end of the 365.

So if I were to purchase 365 days on its own, it would come with at least 1,500 minutes and cost $125.00 (there are other options, but this is the lowest price stand-alone for 365 minutes currently). However, if I buy 200 minutes for $15.00 that includes 30 days, I can add the 365 days on for $49.99. I seldom use all my minutes, so this is what I do.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Also, any phone capable of connecting to the tower will by law place a call when you dial 911, regardless of service plan or the lack thereof.

^^This!^^ My old LG "candy bar phone" gets charged once a week.

doubt that old phone will connect. I know I was forced to upgrade my flip phone maybe 3 years ago when ATT quit supporting 2G. Not too long after 5G goes mainstream I suspect backwards compatibility to 3G will end...

-rvb

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    MTS / IMTS = Radio Telephone ( 13 channels ) = 1 call / 1 channel Max 13 calls per Tower
    Old Phone = Frequency Multiplex ( ~333 channels per A/B carrier) = 1 call / 1 channel max 666 calls per Tower
    New Phone = Time Division Multiplex ( each of ~333 channel subdivided ) = 3 calls / 1 channel max 1998 calls per Tower
    None are backward compatable ...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A few months later, thought I'd pass along an update.

I picked up a 3 year old eBay Galaxy S7 Active for $55 bucks. Figured it was worth the risk, especially with an advertised 30 day guarantee. The phone has a pretty pink line down the edge of the display, as advertised (a known display problem with this model.) Otherwise a "new" looking refurbed phone.

I was so impressed that I picked up a duplicate phone a week later for $50.

I'm really happy with the phones so far. I swap them out on occasion to keep them updated and the same. The difference between the old Note 4's Android 6 OS and these phone's Android 8 is huge and has changed the way I use my smart phone everyday.

I ended up with a once flagship phone and a duplicate backup for $105, way better than I expected to replace one phone for.

It'd be great to find a way to duplicate the SIM, but it looks as if that is no longer possible. I'll be at the mercy of going to the AT&T store to get another SIM card if the user phone is lost, stolen or destroyed. I did learn some tricks about that experience while getting the last card though. :shady:

First waterproof/shockproof phone I've had. Don't know how much to trust either feature, especially on refurb phones, but having a backup phone seems like a decent solution to not be afraid to kill one. No expensive bulky Otterbox Defender for these phones.

This is also a self taught lesson to stay abreast of the market and such. Year or two down the road, probably worth looking at new "old" phone models, at heavy discounts.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't know what Burner/Backup entails, but you can use any cell phone to call 911, long as the phone can get a signal the 911 call will be routed.

Yes. On top of the fact that WIFI calling and other web services work really well via WIFI. Even at my rural location, I've made Google Voice calls that sounded the same as any other call. Txting and sending pics works great without the SIM via Google Voice also.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    “Waterproof” phones are only IPX rated, eventually they’ll stop working after being exposed to so much water.

The Active line has been pretty reliable from what I’ve seen.

I work in the wireless/tech field so, just giving my impressions from the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    “Waterproof” phones are only IPX rated, eventually they’ll stop working after being exposed to so much water.

I've thought about upgrading to an "Active" phone.
    When I say upgrade, I mean I'm using an S3 which was my upgrade from the S2 which was my upgrade from the iPhone2.(which is actually the iPhone1)
    I'm kinda hard on phones and usually get an Otter Box case of some kind to armor it up. Waterproof from the factory would be cool.

I use Pure Talk which is super cheap. I wonder if the older "Broke" Active phone will take my sim.

What's this I hear about the Active S-5 and up phones that you can't change the battery when depleted? That would suck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I've thought about upgrading to an "Active" phone.
    When I say upgrade, I mean I'm using an S3 which was my upgrade from the S2 which was my upgrade from the iPhone2.(which is actually the iPhone1)
    I'm kinda hard on phones and usually get an Otter Box case of some kind to armor it up. Waterproof from the factory would be cool.

I use Pure Talk which is super cheap. I wonder if the older "Broke" Active phone will take my sim.

What's this I hear about the Active S-5 and up phones that you can't change the battery when depleted? That would suck.

Especially with a refurb phone, I wouldn't be comfortable intentionally immersing the Active phone. Still I like the idea that the phone won't readily get water damage from a splash or rain or sweat. The backup phone give me confidence to risk a dip in the water when paddling the kayak.

I don't care for non replaceable batteries either, but that seems to be the direction all companies are going. I have a year of Motorola warranty work under my belt from years back, so website or youtube instruction info will have to work for my battery replacements. eBay has name brand replacements for $10.

The Galaxy phones, especially the ones that were once flagships, are like top selling Ford vehicles, there is a ton of info to be googled up on them and a ton of replacement parts out there. The model I happened to pic is noted for it's high capacity battery.

The S7 Actives take the nano SIM. I had to have At&T make me one, as my old one was was a micro.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    Check out your blue/red big box store and look in the cell phone area. There are always clearance devices for sale up to 70% off.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The reason phones done come with changeable batteries anymore is to make them more water proof is what I was told. Having a removable back panel would let water in. My galaxy s8+ has went swimming with me 2 times due to me being forgetful and maybe having a few to many margaritas before getting in the lake. Both times it was submerged for several minutes and the only thing that happened was the last time it gave me a notification that the charging port had moisture on it. I put it in front of a fan for and hour and the warning went away. Never shut off or anything.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Touching bases on this subject again.

I just picked up another backup "old" smart phone that I've been playing with. Many thanks to the INGOer that sold the phone in the classy's for a great price!

Incidentally, it looks apparent that I'll always be shopping for solid used android smart phones to keep as high as possible on the android version supported.

I'm now looking into having a backup SIM card of some sort to make the backup phone work beyond emergency calls if necessary. Again, I'm looking for the best deal possible for something I hope to never use. I use an AT&T GoPhone account/SIM for my main number.

I wonder if there are alternative companies that offer service on At&t towers with a better deal for a SIM card emergency activation? Maybe something that doesn't start a countdown clock that will force using a phone number I don't want to use beyond the time it takes to get my normal AT&T number working again?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So you need some extra unactivated ATT SIM cards?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well I'm not sure. Do I? I'm not sure of all the options with this?

I'm looking for the best way to have use of my backup phones. I carry a backup phone in my road bag, but it is not usable beyond a 911 call. In the absence of an open WIFI signal, the backup phone is hardly usable at all. Unusable until I get to an AT&T store to get a new SIM and have it programemed to my number.

In a perfect world, I'd have a cloned SIM card, but I don't believe that is doable, like it once was?

I'm hoping someone will know of a better alternative than activating another number/SIM card that I will then have to let expire upon reactivating a new SIM with my regular contact number.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Not sure if its been mentioned much ham radio.... free To use and almost works like a phone. Gotta know what number to put in to reach whoever you want. I guess the only issue would be not alot of people have one.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks, I'll work on the ham thing after I get this sorted out.

Right now working on having a working backup phone in the event of loss of the primary. Or even just somehow getting out of the house without my phone.

It'd be great if there was a worthwhile way to do this.

Top Bottom