• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    Keep that sim and a spare phone. When your phone disappears, (stolen, at the bottom of a lake, etc) , contact your carrier and let them know you need to move service to a new sim. within 20 mins you will be back in business on your old number.
    I get what you are saying for a general spare or backup plan. But, if your phone is at the bottom of the lake how are you contacting your carrier?

I’m thinking about what I would do if in an emergency situation either myself or someone else needed help. How would I contact help. Assuming no cell phone because of mechanical failure, lost, in the lake. I would most likely try reaching out on 2m. After that I’m at a loss in my plans.

Salmonslice

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I get what you are saying for a general spare or backup plan. But, if your phone is at the bottom of the lake how are you contacting your carrier?

I’m thinking about what I would do if in an emergency situation either myself or someone else needed help. How would I contact help. Assuming no cell phone because of mechanical failure, lost, in the lake. I would most likely try reaching out on 2m. After that I’m at a loss in my plans.

Usually you can activate from a dead phone with *228 or various other methods, also call emergency line without a sim and have them foward you if u get the right dispatch and know how to talk like a gentleman

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Usually you can activate from a dead phone with *228 or various other methods, also call emergency line without a sim and have them foward you if u get the right dispatch and know how to talk like a gentleman
    THIS. 911 is REQUIRED to work on ALL phones, activated or not. Its a safety feature. If you have a phone and a signal, you can call for help.

One of the side effects is womens shelters can take donated cell phones and give them to victims for free. They dont need to pay for service if the ONLY reason for the battered woman to need a cell is to call police when the ex shows up.

But as to calling your carrier, my scenario is you drop your phone overboard, you motor back to the truck, load up the boat, and go home. Then use the home phone or a buddy's phone to call them. I didnt mean it in a SHTF/dangerous accident scenario.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    THIS. 911 is REQUIRED to work on ALL phones, activated or not. Its a safety feature. If you have a phone and a signal, you can call for help.

One of the side effects is womens shelters can take donated cell phones and give them to victims for free. They dont need to pay for service if the ONLY reason for the battered woman to need a cell is to call police when the ex shows up.

But as to calling your carrier, my scenario is you drop your phone overboard, you motor back to the truck, load up the boat, and go home. Then use the home phone or a buddy's phone to call them. I didnt mean it in a SHTF/dangerous accident scenario.

I've haven't tried it recently, but can't you use WIFI calling without an active SIM? If you have a service like Google Voice or the like?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've haven't tried it recently, but can't you use WIFI calling without an active SIM? If you have a service like Google Voice or the like?
    yeah, if you are using a voip provider that doesnt use a cellular number, you betcha.

I can call either one of my kids on their simless iphones by placing a facetime audio call. As long as they are on wifi whether home or public wifi it rings their facetime app.

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    Sorry for my ignorance, but can the card be activated through an automated system. Simply by installing the card into a phone? I understand it can’t be given the old phone number without the help of the carriers customer service.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry for my ignorance, but can the card be activated through an automated system. Simply by installing the card into a phone? I understand it can’t be given the old phone number without the help of the carriers customer service.

I think bundled carriers that sell phones at big box stores will do new service online. Tracfone, Straight Talk, etc. But that requires you to buy the phone and sim together. BYOD makes it a bit trickier.

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    I think bundled carriers that sell phones at big box stores will do new service online. Tracfone, Straight Talk, etc. But that requires you to buy the phone and sim together. BYOD makes it a bit trickier.
    Gotcha. The movies make it look much easier. No, I’m not that ignorant.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Gotcha. The movies make it look much easier. No, I’m not that ignorant.
    No implication of ignorance intended.

Basically if its any of the big carriers, forget it. They rely on reps, resellers, etc.

You want a cheap 2nd tier carrier. They rely on automated systems for activation.

In theory I think you could buy a sim from straight talk to keep on standby for a later activation. But avoid Straight talk because they are sketch AF. I abandoned them due to them trying to screw us over repeatedly. I think I covered it here before, but this isnt the thread to rehash the story.

Salmonslice

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    No implication of ignorance intended.

Basically if its any of the big carriers, forget it. They rely on reps, resellers, etc.

You want a cheap 2nd tier carrier. They rely on automated systems for activation.

In theory I think you could buy a sim from straight talk to keep on standby for a later activation. But avoid Straight talk because they are sketch AF. I abandoned them due to them trying to screw us over repeatedly. I think I covered it here before, but this isnt the thread to rehash the story.

STRAIGHTTRASH

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Best way to get one

Have a friend ask their friend you don't know to meet you in a corn Field.

Make sure you both leave your normal phones and any gps device at home.

Give them cash. Ask them to ask a hibo to buy a burner phone for a cash reward.

Have the phone passed to you through a series of friends of friends in a sealed unmarked box.

Once received only turn it on when away from home and with out any other gps devices.

Then stock pile cash.

Then one day walk away from home with out any devices other than your turned off burner phone pay cash for a used car. Drive car out of state. Ditch it buy a used rv. Drive for a long time.

Find a new city. Introduce yourself with a new name. Use burner phone to get a job. Live in RV . Stack cash.
    Get an apartment.

Boom you're a new man.

• Haha
    Reactions: Hop

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I'm shopping for a newer phone. I'm noticing that Amazon has renewed phones for comparable pricing to other resellers and eBay. Anyone had experience buying an Amazon renewed phone? Amazon seems like a go to when there is a choice in the matter?

:dunno:
    I got a Pixel 6 Renewed from Amazon. It has been fine. I realize you may have moved on from this post by now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the input folks!

I believe I have my search narrowed down to a Samsung S22 Ultra. I'm watching eBay to see when they get toward the $400ish range. I could still change my mind, but that phone seems to be the best bang for the buck.

:ingo:

Top Bottom