• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

There's a lot to like about stainless guns, and a real selling point that many people forget because most think of its corrosion-resistance as its main strength is that you don't have to worry about a blued finish rubbing off with handling or holster wear.
    It's for that reason that I personally believe that shiny stainless guns are not such a great idea, with bead-blasted or satin finish stainless preferable because they don't show every tiny scratch or scuff so much.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think matte stainless is worse than polished for showing stuff. And you can't buff out matte.

i still prefer matte though-- polished seems gaudy.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    There's a lot to like about stainless guns, and a real selling point that many people forget because most think of its corrosion-resistance as its main strength is that you don't have to worry about a blued finish rubbing off with handling or holster wear.
    It's for that reason that I personally believe that shiny stainless guns are not such a great idea, with bead-blasted or satin finish stainless preferable because they don't show every tiny scratch or scuff so much.

Actually for a good number of reasons you mentioned I chose to go the with the Duty Treatment on the V-Bob I purchased. But in this case this one is strictly going to be a range gun. Besides as far as I know the only way to get the longer barrel is to get the Ruger Mark IV Hunter and it only comes in SS. In many ways I think the longer barrel is even more important.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hohn,
    If you will PM me with your mailing address, I will send you a prototype mag loading tool for your Victory. You only have to promise to give me your feedback after using it for a while.

doddg,\
    Same offer to you, but these are the last two prototypes I have.

I was to give you feedback on the prototype mag loading tool.
    I enjoyed it and it did make it much smoother to load.
    I noticed online that type of thing was being sold for $10.
    If I was going to use a .22 clip I would pay that.
    Since I sold my Victory, pm my your address and I'll mail it back to you.
    Thank you for trusting me with it!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Any suggestions on where to get the 617 since I'm in the mood to buy the best?

I have made up my mind to get the S/W 617: .22, 6 inch barrel, stainless steel, 10 shot, 44 oz.
    The Taurus 992 isn't available anywhere.
    The Ruger GP100 I can get for $600 at Hoosier Armory, but I've decided to go wild.
    I can get the S/W for $666 at BudsGunShop.com for $666, but will have to pay the fee for transfer at a gun shop, which will probably cost $35?, but there will be no tax, and there will be a UPS fee of $7 = $708 total.
    I don't see any value in getting the $33 lifetime warranty since it isn't transferable therefore will not be a selling point, and I won't be putting many hours on it at the range.
    If I get the Smith at Hoosier Armory: $689 plus tax ($48) = $737.
    I don't know if they will have any more fees added till I talk to them tomorrow.
    They have the Ruger GP100 there on site for $600, so they might influence me to buy it instead, and the S/W would have to be ordered.
    If anyone has any ideas to save money, let me know.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just got back from the range with the Ruger GP100 I bought for $600.

[FONT=&quot]Ruger's GP100 triple-locking cylinder is locked into the frame at the front, rear and bottom for more positive alignment and dependable operation shot after shot. It features take down of integrated sub assemblies that requires no special tools and allows for easy maintenance and assembly. Included is a recoil-reducing, cushioned black rubber Hogue Monogrip and a hard plastic case.[/FONT]
    TypeRevolver
    ActionSingle/Double
    Caliber22 Long Rifle (LR)
    Barrel Length5.5"
    Capacity10
    Hammer StyleExposed
    GripsHardwood
    SightsFiber Optic
    Weight42 oz
    Frame DescriptionStainless Steel
    Frame SizeMedium
    Cylinder FinishStainless Steel
    Barrel FinishStainless Steel
    OAL11.3"

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just got back from the range with the Ruger GP100 I bought for $600.

[FONT=&amp]Ruger's GP100 triple-locking cylinder is locked into the frame at the front, rear and bottom for more positive alignment and dependable operation shot after shot. It features take down of integrated sub assemblies that requires no special tools and allows for easy maintenance and assembly. Included is a recoil-reducing, cushioned black rubber Hogue Monogrip and a hard plastic case.[/FONT]
    TypeRevolver
    ActionSingle/Double
    Caliber22 Long Rifle (LR)
    Barrel Length5.5"
    Capacity10
    Hammer StyleExposed
    GripsHardwood
    SightsFiber Optic
    Weight42 oz
    Frame DescriptionStainless Steel
    Frame SizeMedium
    Cylinder FinishStainless Steel
    Barrel FinishStainless Steel
    OAL11.3"

That's a great choice!
    Given just how beefy that revolver is, you should have no problem getting well over 100K rounds through it, and it'll probably get passed down two or three generations.
    Nicely done.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I just got a call from the 54 yr. old guy selling the S/W Victory.
    It was $300, not $250 (got it confused, my mistake), and I was going to decline, but since I'm saving taxes, and he doesn't need the permit, I'm going to get it.
    Unless, of course I get advice that I'm paying too much. He says he has only put 20 rounds through it.
    I don't know how old it is.
    Haven't heard from any of the other 2 guys yet.
    This will give me something to play with until I can get what I want.
    Should I keep the Victory, or if the Beretta Neos becomes available, get it to replace it with.
    The Neos is only $200, so would there be enough difference to keep both for awile?

Everyone I've met with a victory has been very happy with it. A good buddy of mine even mounted a bushnell tr-s25 to it. It seemed like a blast, I might do the same to my 22/45.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, I should have been more patient.
    I was talking to Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield off route 32, today (where I bought my .38 SS) and he said he had just got in last Thursday a Ruger GP100 and would be selling it for $460. (SS, also, just what I wanted!!!)
    I could have saved $140 if I had not bought on Tuesday.
    Unbelievable!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well, I should have been more patient.
    I was talking to Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield off route 32, today (where I bought my .38 SS) and he said he had just got in last Thursday a Ruger GP100 and would be selling it for $460. (SS, also, just what I wanted!!!)
    I could have saved $140 if I had not bought on Tuesday.
    Unbelievable!

Were both in identical condition, i.e. new vs. used?
    It's pretty vexing getting a worse deal, but at least you still have a kickass gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Were both in identical condition, i.e. new vs. used?
    It's pretty vexing getting a worse deal, but at least you still have a kickass gun.

Thanks. When I was younger, I wouldn't have spent that much anyway, and since I'm old, I can get over it quickly.
    On a humorous note, I'm dealing with a kidney stone, so that will put it into a perspective. :laugh:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks. When I was younger, I wouldn't have spent that much anyway, and since I'm old, I can get over it quickly.
    On a humorous note, I'm dealing with a kidney stone, so that will put it into a perspective. :laugh:

Ouch!
    Dunno if this is a chronic problem for you, but I'll pass along some anecdotal advice about stones.
    My dad had three of them over about a 20-year period, so after he had the last one blasted via lithotripsy, he asked the doctor if he had any dietary suggestions to prevent them.
    The doctor's advice was to drink lemonade on a regular basis.
    That wasn't a big ask, because dad loves that particular beverage, so for the last fifteen years or so after his last stone was eliminated, he has kept a steady supply of lemons to keep a batch of the good stuff, the homemade variety, on hand in his fridge to be consumed on weekly, if not a daily, basis.
    The reasoning for the lemonade seems sound, likely because the acid prevents the seed crystal that is the genesis of the stone from ever forming.
    Whatever the reason, dad hasn't had a stone ever since he has made lemonade a regular consumable.
    I type this as I have my 52oz Bubba Keg half filled with limeade.
    I like lemonade, but I've recently found that I love limeade. ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ouch!
    Dunno if this is a chronic problem for you, but I'll pass along some anecdotal advice about stones.
    My dad had three of them over about a 20-year period, so after he had the last one blasted via lithotripsy, he asked the doctor if he had any dietary suggestions to prevent them.
    The doctor's advice was to drink lemonade on a regular basis.
    That wasn't a big ask, because dad loves that particular beverage, so for the last fifteen years or so after his last stone was eliminated, he has kept a steady supply of lemons to keep a batch of the good stuff, the homemade variety, on hand in his fridge to be consumed on weekly, if not a daily, basis.
    The reasoning for the lemonade seems sound, likely because the acid prevents the seed crystal that is the genesis of the stone from ever forming.
    Whatever the reason, dad hasn't had a stone ever since he has made lemonade a regular consumable.
    I type this as I have my 52oz Bubba Keg half filled with limeade.
    I like lemonade, but I've recently found that I love limeade. ;)

1. My first. Because of friends, I am appropriately scared b/c of them being hospitalized with them.
    2. Great story about the lemonade; I too, found limes to be great.
    3. I can't consume sugar, but I will squeeze either into ice water to ingest for the evening.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    1. My first. Because of friends, I am appropriately scared b/c of them being hospitalized with them.
    2. Great story about the lemonade; I too, found limes to be great.
    3. I can't consume sugar, but I will squeeze either into ice water to ingest for the evening.

A nice solution (yeah, a pun) using pure juice and water without sweetener.
    Good luck to you, and a prayer that you never have to suffer with another.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A nice solution (yeah, a pun) using pure juice and water without sweetener.
    Good luck to you, and a prayer that you never have to suffer with another.

1. Thanks for your expressed concern; waiting for a stone to pass is lonely work. :rolleyes:
    2. My aching back has been good all day, not hurting more even after I eat.
    3. I'm up to about a 65% hope that the stone has passed unceremoniously, since my symptoms are less than when all this began last Wednesday.
    4. I went to the range today and mowed grass for about 15 minutes (son has small lot).
    5. I was going to mow my yard using a John Deere and was hoping that the vibration would facilitate any movement if it is still hiding, but had a little rain and didn't.

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    I have an old .22 revolver that is a ton of fun and very accurate, I LOVE that gun. My wife has a M&P .22 compact, it is fun as well. Nothing beats a good .22 to plink with.

Top Bottom