• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Anyone here ever buy a bike (or other vehicle) without a title and then try to get a title for it? Is it possible? What's the process?

I've always stayed away from those types but there are some that do seem to be selling at big discount for not having a title so I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

Thanks!

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Anyone here ever buy a bike (or other vehicle) without a title and then try to get a title for it? Is it possible? What's the process?

I've always stayed away from those types but there are some that do seem to be selling at big discount for not having a title so I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

Thanks!
    Be careful. If the bike has been totaled, you cannot license it in Indiana without replacing the frame

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Be careful. If the bike has been totaled, you cannot license it in Indiana without replacing the frame

Ok, good info. I was not aware of that. Thanks.

What about these old bikes (70's and 80's), where the bike has just been sitting, the title was lost, it was sold several times, etc and no one knows who the owner was that last had a title? That seem to not have been totaled, just sitting for a decade or two?

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN

There is no law that says the frame must be replaced before the bike can be titled.

Depending on the age of a motorcyle, something as relatively minor as a dented gas tank and a bent fork could render it a total loss. Why in the world would you need to replace a perfectly good frame to obtain a license?

If you want to license a totaled motorcycle you must apply for a rebuilt title. To get that title you have to have to fill out a repair affadavit form and have receipts for the parts that were damaged and have the State Police inspect the vehicle to determine if the vehicle is now safe to be on the roads. Even damaged frames do not have to be replaced, many times a bent frame can be taken to a frame shop and repaired for a lot less than a new one.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    There is no law that says the frame must be replaced before the bike can be titled.

Depending on the age of a motorcyle, something as relatively minor as a dented gas tank and a bent fork could render it a total loss. Why in the world would you need to replace a perfectly good frame to obtain a license?

If you want to license a totaled motorcycle you must apply for a rebuilt title. To get that title you have to have to fill out a repair affadavit form and have receipts for the parts that were damaged and have the State Police inspect the vehicle to determine if the vehicle is now safe to be on the roads. Even damaged frames do not have to be replaced, many times a bent frame can be taken to a frame shop and repaired for a lot less than a new one.
    I don't think it's worth the hassle;)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

My bike was "totaled" back in 1996... I repaired it, renewed my plates, and still riding that 34 year old Harley today!!! No rebuilt title, no affidavit, no inspection!

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I almost got a bike without a title, all youd need to do is look online and find a frame with a clean title on it and swap it over

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Be wary of buying anything without a title. It's a lot harder to get one in this case than it used to be. I know with a car at least that if you buy some old clunker w/o a title you have to return it to full running condition with all street legal components BEFORE they will even inspect it and start the title process. In other words you could have a ton of time and money into something and then find out you can't get a title. Personally I haven't found a good enough deal to pursue this route although I do know where there is a basically sound '68 Torino that would be a great vintage nascar clone!!

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As said before be careful and do some research yourself on what you need to do. Depending on the age of the vehicle, why the title is missing, if it was involved in an accident, if it is being transferred from another state. There are a lot of factors that can change the way the title process may go.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You have to fill out several forms, and pay the sales tax.

Having a bill of sale, certified letter of seller or previous lein holder, etc are always helpful.

Go to your local BMV and ask. That's the easiest thing to do.

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    My bike was "totaled" back in 1996... I repaired it, renewed my plates, and still riding that 34 year old Harley today!!! No rebuilt title, no affidavit, no inspection!

I am sure you did, many bikes have been returned to service with no drama. The whole "salvage title/rebuilt title" issue only comes into play if you collect an insurance pay-off of a totalled vehicle and the insurance company sells the damaged vehicle (even if they sell it back to you) I'm fairly sure that in 1996 Indiana still didnt issue salvage titles, I'm sure a bike shop could tell you exactly when Indiana BMV implemented the salvage title system.

Top Bottom