• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockgurl22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    in a big town
    my wife is not a 'gun person' per say. She grew up on a farm, grew up around her dad and brothers using/shooting guns, but never did her self. Because of this she has no interest in them, but I asked her if she would at least learn how in case one day she would need to know, and she agreed.

I wont start her on on a 1911 or a .357, etc, but I did pick up probably one of the best starter handguns, IMO, for most women. A walther p22. Smaller grip, shoots .22 and has very little recoil. Im hoping this will let her get the feel for a handgun in general, then she can work her way up. After that, if she wants her own, she can get what she wants, but to me right now, a comfortable introduction is the key.

clay

:) i have a walther p22 as well, my boyfriend which is glockman22 told me that would be the gun for me to carry and start out with as well, i shoot the glock 22 its not that bad and a aka rifle i love the p22 its a nice little gun for me to carry and feel safe with...but later on when i get use to carrying it i want to go to a smaller glock :)

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    My wife is a probation officer in Bedford In., and though they dont HAVE to pack, the Dept is pushing them too. The regs state that it must be a minimum of a full size 9mm. (I was going to buy her a walter in .380) All the police officers are trying to talk her into getting a Block .40, but she hasnt shot one and I dont have any glocks in the safe. She isnt small, but she doesnt have much hand or arm strength. Last fall I bought a 9mm EMP, from Springfield, and I love it. The wife likes it cause its "cute" but due to her weak hands, she doesnt have a good base for it to recoil against, and it stove-pipes on her every other round.(shoots fine for me). Anyways, she says she wants it for her packin piece!I tell her that if it isnt 99.99 percent reliable, she doesnt want it ( let alone 50% reliable!), but she wont listen to me. I am frustrated in the least. She has a .38 snubby, but doesnt like it ...kicks too much for her. She is set on an auto.
    What do y'all suggest for a piece?

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    My wife is a probation officer in Bedford In., and though they dont HAVE to pack, the Dept is pushing them too. The regs state that it must be a minimum of a full size 9mm. (I was going to buy her a walter in .380) All the police officers are trying to talk her into getting a Block .40, but she hasnt shot one and I dont have any glocks in the safe. She isnt small, but she doesnt have much hand or arm strength. Last fall I bought a 9mm EMP, from Springfield, and I love it. The wife likes it cause its "cute" but due to her weak hands, she doesnt have a good base for it to recoil against, and it stove-pipes on her every other round.(shoots fine for me). Anyways, she says she wants it for her packin piece!I tell her that if it isnt 99.99 percent reliable, she doesnt want it ( let alone 50% reliable!), but she wont listen to me. I am frustrated in the least. She has a .38 snubby, but doesnt like it ...kicks too much for her. She is set on an auto.
    What do y'all suggest for a piece?

Have you ever taken her to Popguns or somewhere like that where they rent stuff, and have her try a lot of different guns? People here may have a lot of opinions, but these sound like preference and ergos issues that she is going to have to try to find out.

If she already likes the EMP, you might consider a lighter recoil spring, different ammo, or gunsmith tweaking. Might at least be worth talking to a gunsmith about it?

Depending on her level of commitment, it would not be difficult to improve her hand and forearm strength with some simple exercises.

It might also be worthwhile to consider shooting instruction from a pro. Sometimes it's not so much true weakness as poor technique. If, for instance, her grip was a bit iffy that could exacerbate her strength problems. Sometimes as husbands/boyfriends, even if we are good shooters ourselves, we may not be the best person to critically watch our girl shoot, see the problems, and suggest corrections.

Glock maybe, but not a .40 cal. If she's recoil sensitive, why go out and buy more recoil?

Might consider a SIG 239. They are small-hands-friendly and SIGs are generally tolerant of limp wristing. Despite being relatively small, the stainless slide gives the 239 some mass to soak up recoil. Some SIGs are also available with a stainless frame, which would give even more of the recoil soak effect.

Last edited:

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Popguns?
    You mean there are places where you can rent firearms and shoot them?
    That sounds cool, I will have to check that out.:ar15:

BTW, she isnt serious enough to strength train to shoot better. (YET)

decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    When I bought my wife her Colt Det. special we went to the indoor range. At approx 25' or so she kept all of those wad cutters in the black. She said "is that good"? I held the target up to my head, chest, lower extremities, etc... I don't want you shooting at me.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I am tired of men buying women their guns, sure men can pay for them but let's leave the women alone to buy what they want. When a couple comes in looking for a gun for the women I completely ignore the man. Pissed off a few customers, but that is the way it works in our shop.
    I can't stand the condescending sexist attitude that some men have on this issue. Men even come in the shop to buy a gun for their female partner without their female partner and or leave their mate in the car. Leave them in the car like some dog.
    Women, leave the men home, just bring the check book or credit card.

Before anyone get's upset this post in no way refers to any post here. It is just something I wanted to comment on and one that I feel striongly about. And women if you prefer to talk to a female sales rep it can be arranged. My wife is a pistol packing mamma and owns half the place. Plus she is a TR alumni and although does not train as much as I do, she still trains.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I am tired of men buying women their guns, sure men can pay for them but let's leave the women alone to buy what they want. When a couple comes in looking for a gun for the women I completely ignore the man. Pissed off a few customers, but that is the way it works in our shop.
    I can't stand the condescending sexist attitude that some men have on this issue. Men even come in the shop to buy a gun for their female partner without their female partner and or leave their mate in the car. Leave them in the car like some dog.
    Women, leave the men home, just bring the check book or credit card.

Before anyone get's upset this post in no way refers to any post here. It is just something I wanted to comment on and one that I feel striongly about. And women if you prefer to talk to a female sales rep it can be arranged. My wife is a pistol packing mamma and owns half the place. Plus she is a TR alumni and although does not train as much as I do, she still trains.

I hate seeing that guys "picking" guns for their girls. they tend to push J frames and with the high recoil, heavy trigger and gernerally bad groups peole get with them it is a very discouraging gun to learn on. if they go past that theyoften push semi auto pistols that have lots of controls to learn or don't fit them.

Three things I push to women,
    Practice,
    find a gun you are comfortable working( racking the slide, reoading, etc.)
    keep the gun on you. the purse is conveinent. but if someone grabs your arm you can't get to your gun, if you mis orient your purse the gun is located in a differnt position then you thought it was, and ina purse things can get to the trigger and set it off. so keep it on you. if you wnat a back up in the purse that is another matter, just keep it on you.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I took a now-former girlfriend to a gun store once to look at guns and the salesman tried to sell her a kel-tec P32 because is was the "perfect gun for a woman."

Mind you, she wanted a 9 MM or .38 as her minimum caliber.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I would be stoked if anybody bought me any type of gun. Thats $500 plus I wouldnt have to spend. It the women is not happy with the gift they can trade it in...
    I never said anything about her having to pay for it. By all means, pay for it for her if you'd like. However, the point of this thread is that she needs to pick it out, and she needs to make an informed decision, but it should be HER decision, not anyone else's.

decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    My wife picked out all of her own guns. I wouldn't any more pick out a gun for her than I'd pick out a purse. It has to fit her and it has to meet her standards on looks before it's bought.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    However, the point of this thread is that she needs to pick it out, and she needs to make an informed decision, but it should be HER decision, not anyone else's.
    Amen! The biggest reason the above must be true is that if the owners picks out a gun then THEY have made the decision, not someone else. THEY are much more likely to carry the gun and train with it. It is a mindset issue.

txfiremed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Thanks for the info on choosing guns for your wife or sister. Any opinions on what is easiest for a beginner??

beebadd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    CLARKSVILLE
    I bought my girlfriend a S&W 360 for her first gun,She never shot a gun before and seems to like it very well.her patters are very good at 7 yrss,and the recoil isn't bad at all. all around great gun for a woman...

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    Buying wife a gun

When my wife decided she needed a handgun we went to the range with my XD.40 and .45 my Kimber .45 and S&W model 19-4 .357 snubby. She shot them all and we went right out and she picked out a Ruger SP101 snubby and loved the .357 the most by far! I am thankful she didn't want my XD's or my Kimber! LOL! But with small hands and a newbie to carrying a handgun I think a revolver is the best 1st carry gun for anyone!

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    If my wife choose looks over function I would have been left in the dirt,I could never buy anything for her,strong willed and strong minded,works for me.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    My wife's preferred gun is a Walther PPS in 9mm, it's small enough to carry and to easily conceal on a small body and it fits her hands really well. Accurate (as accurate as a sub-compact can be) yet small and easily concealable.

Top Bottom