• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    Some dealers do this to weed out straw purchases or the guy who knows he cannot be approved but continues to try. Sometimes a small nudge may make a straw buyer have second thoughts. This also is a good reason to develope a working relationship with your perfered professional gun dealer. I would be saddened if arriving at my favorite shop and found a "OUT OF BUSINESS" sign due to an ATF violation.In the end it all boils down to BUYER BE AWARE.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Some dealers do this to weed out straw purchases or the guy who knows he cannot be approved but continues to try. Sometimes a small nudge may make a straw buyer have second thoughts. This also is a good reason to develope a working relationship with your perfered professional gun dealer. I would be saddened if arriving at my favorite shop and found a "OUT OF BUSINESS" sign due to an ATF violation.In the end it all boils down to BUYER BE AWARE.

I wonder why they just don't require a deposit rather than paying the full purchase price ?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I wonder why they just don't require a deposit rather than paying the full purchase price ?
    Because it's easier to trick people who don't know any better. Most people wouldn't stand for paying a deposit. After the illegal sale, the dealer holds them over a barrel. I know I wouldn't stand for paying a deposit.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Because it's easier to trick people who don't know any better. Most people wouldn't stand for paying a deposit. After the illegal sale, the dealer holds them over a barrel. I know I wouldn't stand for paying a deposit.

I think we should make a list of the dealers that require you to pay for the gun up front before the NICS check is done if the only reason for this is to keep you lassoed in for the sale. I know it was a pain in the ___ for me to have to make 2 trips to Auburn. A friend told me that it might have been delayed because I had the check done on Sunday and that they might not have had very many people working.........R

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    This was the point I was trying to make. If you develope a repore with your gun shop it is a win-win situation. You know his policies and you can choose to do business somewhere else. The owner knows you as a reliable customer, could do the nics without hassel. Personally, I would rather the owner spend his time with valued customers rather than mess around with some deadbeat.Besides,instead of shopping why not ask the question before and if the answer is not to your liking..LEAVE.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I think it is important to remember that a 3 day delay is not uncommon and there doesn't need to be any specific reason. There are a lot of people in this country and there are a lot of crimes committed by people with similar names. I've bought pieces two weeks apart - one not delayed, next delayed.

There are two different irritants here - the original poster's irritation with having to make a second trip, and the collective disagreement with dealers who have "pay-first check-later screw-you" business practices.

I've been delayed on hanguns, I've been delayed on long guns. It happens. I've known from the beginning that it was a possibility and was prepared for it. It's no big deal to the dealer - they see it every day. It's a part of doing business. If you're unhappy with your delears business practices, there are plenty of places to buy your guns. If they're the only dealer that has what you're looking for, you're going to have to suck it up and deal. After all, we all just want to :ar15:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I always run the NICS check before I take any money. In the event of a delay, I leave it up to the customer whether he wants to pay in full now or when he picks up the gun. In the event of an on-the-spot denial (which is pretty rare, IME), I simply inform the customer of what happened and how he can appeal, offer my apologies, file the form and put the gun back on the shelf.

Is charging the customer a re-stock fee in the event of a denial legal? Probably. Is it unethical as all get out? Absolutely.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I believe Blythes in Griffith and Valpo charge a $50 fee if declined. Seems fair - they post it so you can't miss it. Never had any issues

Any idea when they put the signs up? And I don't know about Griffith (haven't been in there in a while) but Valpo didn't collect any money until after the nics check, first time I bought a handgun from them I was delayed, the guy at the counter asked if I wanted to put a deposit on it or not. I told him no I'd just pay it all when I came back, he said okay. From what I've seen that is sop for them.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Any idea when they put the signs up? And I don't know about Griffith (haven't been in there in a while) but Valpo didn't collect any money until after the nics check, first time I bought a handgun from them I was delayed, the guy at the counter asked if I wanted to put a deposit on it or not. I told him no I'd just pay it all when I came back, he said okay. From what I've seen that is sop for them.

Blythes doesn't have amazing prices or anything, but I like them for service. They always have hard to find ammo also. They run a pretty tight ship IMO from my personal experience.

jnicol6600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Ive never thought about it before but have paid 1/3 down to have a shop order guns before. That could get messy if a nics check was a no go

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Everytime I have purchased a firearm the payment was the last step of the process. I would not be very happy with that dealer either. Hope it all works out for you.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    This was the point I was trying to make. If you develope a repore with your gun shop it is a win-win situation. You know his policies and you can choose to do business somewhere else. The owner knows you as a reliable customer, could do the nics without hassel. Personally, I would rather the owner spend his time with valued customers rather than mess around with some deadbeat.Besides,instead of shopping why not ask the question before and if the answer is not to your liking..LEAVE.

This was the first time at this gun store. I had been calling around trying to find this particular handgun as they are getting harder to find. In the future this gunshop will be a last resort to go to just as it was this time. I am just glad that everything went well and I was approved the very next day. In the future I will not make purchases on Sundays since the 2 times that I have been delayed were both on that day.......R

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I am starting to dislike H&H a little more (based on this, and the statements that the owner made about guns & requiring people to be trained to buy them).

That sounds shady to me, that they would do it that way. I have never had a gun store try to pull that on me, but I would use caution in a gun store that tries that. 1st, it is illegal for them to sell a gun without the NICS check, and they know that. 2nd, if you've already bought the gun from them and the NICS check is denied, then it's too late. They've already sold the gun illegally. It doesn't make the transaction any more legal if they buy the gun back from you (at used prices of course).

That's a big red flag for me, if a gun store tries to take my money before running the NICS check. I'm about to start asking questions and raising a stink.

I remember a thread from a while ago where this happened at H&H. I can't find the thread now though.

I believe Blythes in Griffith and Valpo charge a $50 fee if declined. Seems fair - they post it so you can't miss it. Never had any issues

It seems fair that they charge you $50 for something that is beyond your control (assuming you don't knowingly try to buy as a prohibited person)?

It may be rare that a non-prohibited person gets denied but it does happen. Looks like a dealer to stay away from if you ask me.

I think we should make a list of the dealers that require you to pay for the gun up front before the NICS check is done if the only reason for this is to keep you lassoed in for the sale. I know it was a pain in the ___ for me to have to make 2 trips to Auburn. A friend told me that it might have been delayed because I had the check done on Sunday and that they might not have had very many people working.........R

If you don't mind could you please post the name of the place that you went to (or PM me if you prefer). I live in Auburn & would like to know what I'm dealing with before a potential purchase.

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    i could see doing a deposit for a delayed check. I mean if nothing stops you from deciding you dont want that gun after all then why shouldn't they give you incentive to make sure you really want that gun. I think you should get the deposit back if you are denied but just a little something to make sure you don't pull a gun from the case only to put it back in a few days.

Top Bottom