Buying a second pistol, caliber questions when SHTF.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaronsbig16g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Right now I own a XDM 9mm, I'm wanting to get something smaller for everyday carry in summer. I plan on buying a XDM 3.8 sometime soon since they take the same mags. I just can't decide on a 40 or a 9. If I buy the 40 I would also get the conversion barrel for the 9 when I could get some money together.

My main debate is versatility vs. convenience. It would be nice to have the ability to run two different kinds of ammo but that's more stuff to carry around if I'm on the move. What do you guys think?

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    To each their own. I have a compact 9mm and a large frame 9mm. Only need one caliber of pistol ammo for SHTF scenarios.

Eventually I will get into the same brand for both so that the magazines will be interchangeable.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Right now I own a XDM 9mm, I'm wanting to get something smaller for everyday carry in summer. I plan on buying a XDM 3.8 sometime soon since they take the same mags. I just can't decide on a 40 or a 9. If I buy the 40 I would also get the conversion barrel for the 9 when I could get some money together.

My main debate is versatility vs. convenience. It would be nice to have the ability to run two different kinds of ammo but that's more stuff to carry around if I'm on the move. What do you guys think?

You already have a handgun, now you should be looking for a SHOTGUN or RIFLE:twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . . It would be nice to have the ability to run two different kinds of ammo but that's more stuff to carry around if I'm on the move. . .
    What kind of "move" are you planning? Living in the Hoosier National Forest after some sort of EMP bomb from China? Perhaps when the urban youths riot you will head to the countryside and try to live in the woods around some farm?

Where in Indiana can you go where you are more than 10 or 15 miles from a city/town? Or are you planning to hike/drive out to Colorado mountains to try to survive?

Seriously, unless you are right in the path of something really bad (like a nuclear disaster), stay home. Staying home will increase your odds of survival. Look around the world at REAL EXAMPLES and you'll see that, IN MOST CASES, staying at home increased survival. The purging of the the Jews was one example where this was not true.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    regardless your better off sticking with the same calibers. i started off with a ton of different stuff and then just slowly kept realizing that its so much easier with just a few.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Depends what you mean by, "SHTF," how long it might last, etc. Lots of threads that demonstrate we often talk past each other assuming we know what we're all talking about, but we're actually talking about slightly different things.

Depth vs. breath - do you want to go deep with 1 caliber or have the flexibility to shoot other calibers? What might ammo availability be? What kind of ammo might be available (JHP, FMJ, etc)? Are you planning for yourself only? Wife? Family? etc. What do you have in terms of resources to put into this? How much ammunition do you currently have stocked?

Lots of factors to think through depending on what your assumptions and circumstances are.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Get ya a LC9. I would say to stick with the same caliber for SHTF situations! 9mm is a good choice since it is a NATO/MIL/LE issued round there will be lots of it laying around in a SHTF situation too.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I’m of the mindset that it’s best to reduce caliber differences.

I’m not worried about what’s going to be easiest to find during “SHTF”, because let’s face it, NOTHING is going to be available at that point in time.

If you are worried about SHTF, then pick a caliber now and keep it well stocked.

I’ve got all my firearms down to three calibers: handguns 9mm, rifle 5.56, and shotgun 12gauge. For me, these were the easiest to find and the easiest to buy a lot of.

I’m also with melensdad. People always talk about “bugging” out in this state, but really where are you going to go that isn’t 1-2 hrs from a large city or 15-30 minutes from other groups of people. I can see possibly leaving a large city (Indianapolis) if you live in DOWNTOWN, but even then you are probably better off just sticking it out.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You already have a handgun, now you should be looking for a SHOTGUN or RIFLE:twocents:

^This.

If you don't already have a rifle or shotgun, you're wrong.

Lots of guys like to talk about SHTF and what pistol they intend to carry, but I worry more about what rifle. The pistol is only meant to get you to your rifle or shotgun. If SHTF you're going to want/need somthing that can hit a rabbit at more than 50 yards.

The debate between one caliber or multiple calibers is a personal decision. However, stocking up on ammo makes it much less likely that you're going to need to go out scrounging around for ammo. If you're worried about SHTF or just an ammo shortage in the future, now is the time to buy and stack it deep. 9mm can be found for $10 or less per 50 rounds. Shame on anyone who doesn't stock up at today's prices.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I’m of the mindset that it’s best to reduce caliber differences.

I’m not worried about what’s going to be easiest to find during “SHTF”, because let’s face it, NOTHING is going to be available at that point in time.

If you are worried about SHTF, then pick a caliber now and keep it well stocked.

I’ve got all my firearms down to three calibers: handguns 9mm, rifle 5.56, and shotgun 12gauge. For me, these were the easiest to find and the easiest to buy a lot of.

I’m also with melensdad. People always talk about “bugging” out in this state, but really where are you going to go that isn’t 1-2 hrs from a large city or 15-30 minutes from other groups of people. I can see possibly leaving a large city (Indianapolis) if you live in DOWNTOWN, but even then you are probably better off just sticking it out.

All due respect, but it is better to get as far away from a big city as possible. The are very likely to implode as supplies run out and unless someone is very, very quiet sooner or later someone is going to find them. Likely some very hungry and mean someones. My bug out location is a relative's country place. The nearest town of any size is New Castle, about 12 miles away. and the nearest small town has maybe 600 people all told about 4 miles away.
    Land is flat and you can see for quiet a distance in any direction. Only drawback is that works both ways. Snipers might be a worry, but I think most folks will have nothing more than deer rifles and shotguns.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Depends what you mean by, "SHTF," how long it might last, etc. Lots of threads that demonstrate we often talk past each other assuming we know what we're all talking about, but we're actually talking about slightly different things.

Depth vs. breath - do you want to go deep with 1 caliber or have the flexibility to shoot other calibers? What might ammo availability be? What kind of ammo might be available (JHP, FMJ, etc)? Are you planning for yourself only? Wife? Family? etc. What do you have in terms of resources to put into this? How much ammunition do you currently have stocked?

Lots of factors to think through depending on what your assumptions and circumstances are.

Couldn't agree more. One advantage to having many guns is that you can arm the friends and relatives who show up who don't have weapons. Also if something breaks you have back up guns. It can get very expensive buying all the ammo you might need. This is one of those topics that doesn't have a right or wrong answer..just go with what you can do. One thing, don't scrimp on the food! You can't eat bullets!

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    I'd wager 9mm ammo would be like currency if the SHTF. I personally am going to get a second 9, just as a matter of the common-ness of the ammo, and right now it's pretty cheap, er compared to say 38 or 357.

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    i like to keep anywhere between 750-1000 rounds for my 9mm on hand and a few hundred 12gauge to keep my "just in case" mind at ease

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    i like to keep anywhere between 750-1000 rounds for my 9mm on hand and a few hundred 12gauge to keep my "just in case" mind at ease

I don't think this is a bad idea. I wasn't quite old enough to learn any lessons from the Clinton gun ban, but after the panic buying following Obama's election I learned a lesson. From now one, 1K rounds per gun, per caliber as a minimum. My gut tells me we're not too far from another price increase on ammo again.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I'd try to stick to the ability to shoot the same amo. If you can get a 40 barrel for the nine I'd get the nine first and save fot the 40 barrel. If buy the 40 first and getting the barrel for the 9mm later is the only way to accomplish that then that's what I'd do, just as you mentioned. The reason is because 40 SW is so available right now.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Personal preference. Of all the guns and calibers I have - I find myself carrying my KelTec P3AT .380 most often when I need good concealment. This little gun fits anywhere and hides well. The belt clip is awesome and adjustable for both sides easily.
    thumbnailCAF2SYIS.jpg

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Didn't we already have a SHTF scenario play out in 2009 when none of us could find any of the common calibers (9mm, .45, 40 S&W) and primers were just about impossible to find?

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Didn't we already have a SHTF scenario play out in 2009 when none of us could find any of the common calibers (9mm, .45, 40 S&W) and primers were just about impossible to find?

Well, some people did have enough in a common caliber, and/or had plenty of primers for themselves.

They could have profited from it. Or they could have shared. Or they could stayed quiet and stayed prepared.:twocents:

Top Bottom