Buying a second pistol, caliber questions when SHTF.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As a practical matter for the OP, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP seem to be the most common calibers used by law enforcement agencies. Of those three calibers, 9mm and .40 can be used on the same pistol frame. A .40 S&W barrel is @ $100 - a new handgun will be???

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Another thought while on the topic of buying a second pistol. I would buy a 22lr pistol before buying anything else if you're serious about having a pistol that has the best odds of being able to find ammo anywhere.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Another thought while on the topic of buying a second pistol. I would buy a 22lr pistol before buying anything else if you're serious about having a pistol that has the best odds of being able to find ammo anywhere.

THIS!
    One can buy massive quantities and not break the bank. A gun is a gun is a gun. Granted 22LR isn't the greatest for stopping power, but are YOU going to take that chance when a guy has the drop on you? How would you even know for sure what caliber the weapon pointed at you is. Also, 22LR is great for small game (for those of us that actually know how to field dress a critter).
    I do agree that a rifle should be the first order of business when talking SHTF, but I'm also aware that if it's a protracted crisis, ammunition will be worth it's weight. I'm currently looking into other options, like recurve bows and blades.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    To each their own. I have a compact 9mm and a large frame 9mm. Only need one caliber of pistol ammo for SHTF scenarios.

Eventually I will get into the same brand for both so that the magazines will be interchangeable.
    Agreed. 9mm would probably be the easiest caliber to run across if things turned south. Also, anybody who says the 9mm will not kill, then they need to start counting the hollow spots in the ground where people found out otherwise. I don't like 9mm ball for defense, but I would not want to stop one either. JMHO.

aaronsbig16g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    I plan on buying a rifle soon as well. I know that should be first priority but I really want a smaller gun to carry for summer.

I'm just getting started prepping so I don't have a whole lot saved up. Right now I have 500 rounds of 9 and 4 mags for my XDM. I really need to step up my game!

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    A handgun is a weapon of last resort or a weapon that you use to get your hands on a real weapon like a rifle. Your not going to use your defence handgun for hunting or anything like that and in any situation you find yourself relying on it as your primary defense in a SHTF combat situation you'll probably be done within a few mags rather you survive or not. 9mm is probably the most common round you might come across here and there in a scavenging type situation. But if you have 200 rounds of sidearm ammo in whatever caliber you prefer it should probably due you in any long term situation.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    What kind of "move" are you planning? Living in the Hoosier National Forest after some sort of EMP bomb from China? Perhaps when the urban youths riot you will head to the countryside and try to live in the woods around some farm?

Where in Indiana can you go where you are more than 10 or 15 miles from a city/town? Or are you planning to hike/drive out to Colorado mountains to try to survive?

Seriously, unless you are right in the path of something really bad (like a nuclear disaster), stay home. Staying home will increase your odds of survival. Look around the world at REAL EXAMPLES and you'll see that, IN MOST CASES, staying at home increased survival. The purging of the the Jews was one example where this was not true.

Seems to be a mixed thread so here goes......

......and I thought I was too heavy and deep on subjects like the above quote. Either way the poster is right. Stay home and hunker down. I can't foresee an ethnic cleansing/genocide scenario ever happening in the USA.

We are better than that. Right ?!!!!

As much as we all like guns, an average plan is one handgun, one rifle for distance and hunting and one riot type shotgun and a whole lot of ammo for each. Having a back up in the same pistol caliber for deep cover (ankle, small of back, go bag, etc.) is do-able. Sub compacts are nasty to practice with but will get the job done in a pinch.

Or, two matching pistols in a shoulder rig. :draw:

Recently I've acquired a SAR 2 Folder that is proving itself worthy of a grab-n-go, universal SHTF gun. Right now, it would be the one I would grab along with a semi-auto pistol. Everything else is a boat anchor. :D

huey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    SW IND
    To each their own. I have a compact 9mm and a large frame 9mm. Only need one caliber of pistol ammo for SHTF scenarios.

Eventually I will get into the same brand for both so that the magazines will be interchangeable.

thats the best way have same ammo same pistol parts

i personaly have 3 the same all the magswill interchange

aaronsbig16g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Man this is a great discussion. As of right now I leaning towards a 9mm to keep it easy and more cost effective. I also plan on picking up a 10/22 at the same time.

Top Bottom