• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Too bad it's going to be in Noblesville. I'll prolly never shop there as it's about 1 1/2 hours away. Greenwood would of been a much better location in my opinion.
    It's only about an hour to get from Noblesville to Plainfield. Plus that location will be right off the highway so it may be just under and hour.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Greenwood is kinda on its own, there isnt much else there, and the surrounding area is not as densely populated as the Nobelsville area. The higher number of cities local to the area, and possibly the fact that that entire area has been growing fairly steady for the last few years.

I, for one am happy to hear that they are moving in there, as it is even closer to home than GM, and will give me no reason to drive all the way to Castelton specifically for a trip to buy whatever I was looking(hoping) to find at GM. I used to go just because GM had reloading supplies. in recent years that has turned into a box of bullets, and maybe to wads for shotgun shells. I think the local Rural King has more reloading supplies than GM does at this point.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Glad to see them come to the Indy area, building anything that will be that high of an attraction on the dreaded and hated I-69 corridor is only going to make that road worse than it is now...if that was even possible.

We don't shop in that area because the traffic flow hassles far outweigh any fun that might be had up there, especially if you are coming up from south of the I-69 I-465 connector.

I guess I'll see it in pictures....I hope they don't stiff the folks of Hamilton County like they did in Johnson County.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    If the news articles are right is sounds like it is a done deal and will break ground this year, and be open next.

I69 is not near as bad as it used to be since they have been doing the construction. I use it multiple times a day and rarely have any slowdowns anymore.

This is a good location for the store and is less than a mile from my house. Happy Happy Happy

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    According to the version of the story I read, the new store will be 2/3 the size of what was planned for Greenwood. Also, Cabela's no longer tries to own and develop the surrounding real estate.

I see a large empty box just north of Castleton mall coming soon unless Gander gets more competetive. It will be interesting to watch. Although Cabela's rarely has bargains, it seems that their gun, ammo, and accessory prices are generally lower than Gander's, and their selection is better.

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    One thing's for sure: the customer service couldn't possibly be any worse than at Gander.

I'm pretty excited about Cabella's opening a store so close to home. It won't take much to be way, WAY better than Gander or Dick's.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I live about 3 miles from where the new Gander Mountain is opening in Avon.....and I'll probably go to Cabela's more than I go there. :) It should only be about a 20 minute drive from work, so I think there will be some long lunches in my future.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Nothing personal! LOL That northeast corner of 465 and surrounding area is just such a clusterfark traffic-wise. I'll probably come up to see it at least once though, on a weekend.

In the last few months, that traffic has really decreased. They did some work on the 37 off ramp that helped a lot. It should be smooth sailings most of the time.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Nothing personal! LOL That northeast corner of 465 and surrounding area is just such a clusterfark traffic-wise. I'll probably come up to see it at least once though, on a weekend.
    I know it wasn't personal. I know the traffic sucks. However, I drive to greenwood for work and the south side traffic isn't any better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know it wasn't personal. I know the traffic sucks. However, I drive to greenwood for work and the south side traffic isn't any better.

Well, you have a point there. It's gotten busier too. Guess it just goes along with suburban sprawl. I don't do well with traffic. I couldn't imagine living somewhere like Chicago or LA. I get impatient if there are more than 3 or 4 cars at a 4-way stop!

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Give me cabelas any day over bass pro. I find them pricey on some things and don't buy much gun stuff there except during a sale. I do however like there selection and buy a variety of items there. Also when I am looking for something particular and don't want to pay shipping then if you figure the total price it is really about the same.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I have shopped Cabelas for years over the other stores, mostly net shopping. Prices of guns and ammo especially is much better than Gander. They also have their own Visa card with which you earn points for store merchandise. You earn 1% on anything you buy anywhere and your points never expire. I have picked up several firearms and other stuff for "free" over the years.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Greenwood is kinda on its own, there isnt much else there, and the surrounding area is not as densely populated as the Nobelsville area. The higher number of cities local to the area, and possibly the fact that that entire area has been growing fairly steady for the last few years.

Wife and I were talking about Cabelas a couple of days ago. I understand why they picked north over south. More people, higher personal incomes. However, I also think that Greenwood just off I-65 might have been better as for many people, it is on the way to the southern part of the state, which to me seems to have more outdoor stuff in terms of lakes, fishing, hiking, camping, woodlands, etc.. I'm sure the northern part of the state has their share, but for me, unless prices are much cheaper than Gander, anything I need immediately, as in on the way, will likely be purchased at Gander on the south side.

The next thing I'm wondering is who closes up shop next? In Castleton we have Dick's, REI, and Gander Mountain. Hamilton Town Center, just miles away from Castleton, will now have a Dick's and Cabelas. Plus, we have a Gander Mountain opening up in Greenfield from what I hear. I'm not sure why folks think the Cabelas in Noblesville will be some kind of boom. Cabelas may have been a destination place, but as they open more and more stores, and make them smaller, they will become less of a destination for more and more people.

Top Bottom