• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Still are. I take West St. when I go to my doctor over your way, and there's one under one of the bridges by the river.

State and Wash. St. East behind the old Washington auto parts. There was a serious camp there by the tracks. I had to deal with those :poop: bags a lot. We had 2 customers in that area. The old A&P warehouse was 1. They would break into the machine room in the winter. Break up skids and do barrel fires in there to stay warm. I could care but they would shut off the compressors because of the noise. That would set off the system alarms and we would get called out at midnight:30. I would roll in to find the door busted and 10 of these stink bags huddled by the barrels. Called LEO and sometimes they would come. Sometimes not. I would start turning on the compressors and showing them the door. Armed of course. I hate bums. They are bat:poop: crazy and they stink.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Indy homeless get treated pretty well. I used to work downtown. I remember a confrontation that escalated just below an exchange of blows ...
    BETWEEN TWO COMPETING CHARITY LADIES handing out brown bag lunches to the pan handlers.
    "Take my lunch."
    "No take mine, its better."
    I frequently saw the lunch bags thrown on the sidewalk barely touched because you can't be bothered to stand up and walk 3 feet to the trash barrel to get rid of the lunch(es) you didn't pay for anyway.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I work downtown 2 days a week and a person cannot walk more than 1 block without being asked for money. Gone are the days of jiggling the change cup, now it's outright in your face wanting money. And not a damn thing is being done about it.

EDIT: Well, they are extending the hours to charge people at the meters. I'm sure that will help. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I work downtown 2 days a week and a person cannot walk more than 1 block without being asked for money. Gone are the days of jiggling the change cup, now it's outright in your face wanting money. And not a damn thing is being done about it.

EDIT: Well, they are extending the hours to charge people at the meters. I'm sure that will help. :rolleyes:

I guess walking around with pistol in hand is frowned upon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This has been the norm for a long time. Try working in the buildings from th docks in the alleys where these dirt bags sleep.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    There is a homeless camp in Goshen, so I would assume there are ones in other towns in Indiana.

Doesn't surprise me. Goshen is a little liberal enclave in a very conservative area.

Homeless, used needles in the public parks, "undocumented" immigrants, LGBTQRST pride, etc, etc.:dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Doesn't surprise me. Goshen is a little liberal enclave in a very conservative area.

Homeless, used needles in the public parks, "undocumented" immigrants, LGBTQRST pride, etc, etc.:dunno:
    Very true, the Goshen College Mennonites run the town and stink of hard core leftism.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Very true, the Goshen College Mennonites run the town and stink of hard core leftism.

I've always found it extremely curious that one of the most conservative denominations of Protestantism could have such a flaming liberal streak.:dunno:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I used to work in Louisville, Ky. One day on lunch break i was walking down the sidewalk and a homeless guy rides up on a bike, slides to a stop in front of me and announces, "Hey, I am making a beer run, are you in or what?"

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There was a homeless camp just west of my house a few years ago, it was on the riverside of the floodwall, in a little patch of woods. After it came to the attention of town leaders, they started sending the cops down there every few weeks to run the bums off, but they kept coming back, then, one day, some heavy eguipment was brought in, seems the towns storm water plan needed a new retention pond. The little patch of woods is now under water.:):

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    In my experience, here in Indy, people sleep on the street because that is the choice they made. They enjoy the transient lifestyle, and have no intention of ever getting a job and a residence.

The people pan handling are either doing so for drugs, (because like it was pointed out earlier, the homeless eat pretty well), or they're scamming and pan handling can pay better than a construction job for a lot less work.

Here is America, there is no reason for anyone to be homeless who sincerely doesn't want to be. We give them houses, food, job training, cell phones, probably transportation. Then there are private charities on top of that who are willing to help the homeless as well.

There really is only one logical conclusion that can be made.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    In my limited experience with homeless people, the two most common denominators are mental illness and addiction. Most couldn't hold a job or keep a house if you gave them both.:dunno:

The population of able bodied, willing to work hard, just down on their luck types is a TINY subset of the homeless population.

Top Bottom