• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got an odd message, allegedly from the BATFE. I let it go to my answering machine since I didn't recognize the number. It said it was for all FFL holders (I have a C&R license) in my area, with a warning that there had been a rash of break-ins in my area and to be sure and secure all firearms, etc..

Anybody else get something similar? They said to call a 1-888 number to report any break-ins or with questions I think. The caller id said (202) 648-9999 - GSA FTS Regional

Did a little googling and it sounds as though it may have been legit. This site mentioned it back in October.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/x...obocalls-from-the-atf-about-break-ins.397005/

I also just got this email, so I'm thinking it may be legit:

photo
    ATF.FFL.Alert@usdoj.gov <atf.ffl.alert@usdoj.gov>

Mon, Dec 14 at 5:45 PM
    This is an important message from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Two (2) Federal firearms licensees in Marion County, Indiana have experienced attempted burglaries. Please ensure the security of both your inventory and property and report all suspicious persons or activity to your local police department and to your local ATF office. Additionally, notify ATF at 888-930-9275 if you find any of your firearms missing, lost or stolen.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That's the real ATF 888 number so I doubt it's a scam. They probably just know you have a case of Mosins hanging over your fireplace. ;)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just call them up and ask if that was them or a scam. If it is a scam I'm sure they want to know about it.

ATF Indianapolis Field Office
    151 N Delaware Street, Suite 1000
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    (317) 287-3500

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's the real ATF 888 number so I doubt it's a scam. They probably just know you have a case of Mosins hanging over your fireplace. ;)

Ha! They obviously haven't gotten wind of the boating accident yet. :):

Just call them up and ask if that was them or a scam. If it is a scam I'm sure they want to know about it.

I think it was legit, the more I looked into it. I don't think any action is required on my part. Someone in the link I included in the OP said that it was legit too. Just had never gotten anything like it before.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

ATF Indianapolis Field Office
    151 N Delaware Street, Suite 1000
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    (317) 287-3500

Thanks for the local number! I may go ahead and call them in the morning just to be on the safe side.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Ha! They obviously haven't gotten wind of the boating accident yet. :):

Indiana man has freak accident while taking his C&R collection on his morning kayak ride. All 4,568 long guns were lost as well as 12,574 pistols. The kayak was uninjured.

Thanks for the local number! I may go ahead and call them in the morning just to be on the safe side.

Ummmm... That's a big negative. I'm thinking the code silence is a better response.

I think the general message of "keep your stuff locked up" is probably not worth fretting over, legit or not.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks! I'm convinced it was a real call now. I just renewed my license, so I thought that might have had something to do with it, but maybe it's just coincidental.

From reading your posts, DD, it seems like you're the type of guy who stays 'Locked-N-Loaded' all of the time.... so I doubt that you'll need to change your awareness. Always vigilant ! :thumbsup:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Curious...

I never heard of the BATFE advising FFL holders; odd that for every FFL holder, there another 100 gun owners with things to steal.

IndyTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Curious...

I never heard of the BATFE advising FFL holders; odd that for every FFL holder, there another 100 gun owners with things to steal.

I don’t know that’s it’s all that curious. BATFE has contact info for the FFLs, not so much the 100 gun owners.

Is there some sort of publicly available information that provides names and locations of FFLs? Including C&Rs?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why would it not be legit?

Did they ask you to call them?
    Is there any harm in warning somebody that you could be a victim of a break in based on prior events? What would be the vector of that attack?

Caution is good, but sometimes we are afraid of our own shadows because we dont stop and think critically about what we are seeing.

Im seeing similar on the FB group I'm a member of for Security pros. They are also hitting jewelry stores, and tampering with the alarms first. Their warning is "watch your exterior phone boxes and alarms. Dont disregard any alarm panel errors, ESPECIALLY after-hours power outages (doubly so for holidays when the stores are closed), as a simple malfunction. Dispatch police just in case for ANY alarm (or power) anomaly. (EDIT: thieves are also cutting power to the buildings in hopes the alarm will be disabled)

Last edited:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    So the quick Cliff’s Notes on where I believe this originated:

It had to do with the mass amounts of shootings over the weekend. Long story short, a 12 year-old kid was shot by accident during some gang activity. In retaliation, a pretty hardcore gang with a LOT of turf in Indy literally went ballistic and started shooting up everyone they thought was involved. Most of these took place in Beech Grove and the southeast side. Although I don’t have details on which shop it was, I was told that one shop was attempted to be burgled and another “thought” they had some guys casing the joint.

If you’re a FB person, this guy tried putting out a “warning” and based on the activity last night, it sounds like he was mostly correct:

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.shaw.3745/videos/4880710798666814/?d=n

Again, I don’t have the details because I’m not in that life anymore, but this information has proven to be “more correct” than it is false. If I am able to find out any more, I’ll follow up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Is there any harm in warning somebody that you could be a victim of a break in based on prior events? What would be the vector of that attack?

Caution is good, but sometimes we are afraid of our own shadows because we dont stop and think critically about what we are seeing.

Im seeing similar on the FB group I'm a member of for Security pros. They are also hitting jewelry stores, and tampering with the alarms first. Their warning is "watch your exterior phone boxes and alarms. Dont disregard any alarm panel errors, ESPECIALLY after-hours power outages (doubly so for holidays when the stores are closed), as a simple malfunction. Dispatch police just in case for ANY alarm (or power) anomaly."

It does appear to be legit from what I've found out on my own and on here. I've just never had anything like it happen since I've had my C&R license (going on 10 years now) so it just piqued my curiosity. They didn't ask me to call unless I had something to report, so that also lent some credence to it being a "real" call. I was just wondering if anyone here had had something similar happen to them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So the quick Cliff’s Notes on where I believe this originated:

It had to do with the mass amounts of shootings over the weekend. Long story short, a 12 year-old kid was shot by accident during some gang activity. In retaliation, a pretty hardcore gang with a LOT of turf in Indy literally went ballistic and started shooting up everyone they thought was involved. Most of these took place in Beech Grove and the southeast side. Although I don’t have details on which shop it was, I was told that one shop was attempted to be burgled and another “thought” they had some guys casing the joint.

If you’re a FB person, this guy tried putting out a “warning” and based on the activity last night, it sounds like he was mostly correct:

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.shaw.3745/videos/4880710798666814/?d=n

Again, I don’t have the details because I’m not in that life anymore, but this information has proven to be “more correct” than it is false. If I am able to find out any more, I’ll follow up.

Thanks jsx. I do live off South Meridian (although probably farther south than what the guy on FB was referring to). Strange times we're living in, so better safe than sorry I reckon.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)

Im seeing similar on the FB group I'm a member of for Security pros. They are also hitting jewelry stores, and tampering with the alarms first. Their warning is "watch your exterior phone boxes and alarms. Dont disregard any alarm panel errors, ESPECIALLY after-hours power outages (doubly so for holidays when the stores are closed), as a simple malfunction. Dispatch police just in case for ANY alarm (or power) anomaly."

I have a bad feeling that I am going to be very busy this Holiday season since I get the call first when there is a problem at the shop I work at.

Top Bottom