• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Finally heard back from No Commitment Joe today. Here's his usual smoke blowing, I won't tell you where I stand, BS:

March 27, 2018
    Dear Friend,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding S. 446, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017. Like you, I believe this is an issue that deserves thoughtful consideration.
    Whether a gun owner or not, we can all agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. I have always recognized that the overwhelming majority of gun owners exercise their Second Amendment rights in a responsible and law-abiding manner.
    As you may know, all fifty states and the District of Columbia allow for individuals to carry concealed handguns if they meet certain criteria. Currently, laws related to concealed carry are enacted at the state level and vary between individual states. Indiana, in addition to issuing concealed carry permits to Hoosiers and certain non-residents, recognizes all concealed carry permits issued by other states. While many states also recognize Indiana permits, 17 states, including Illinois, do not honor concealed carry permits issued by Indiana.
    The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act was introduced in the Senate on February 27, 2017. If enacted into law, this bill would authorize an individual who is not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm and who is entitled by his or her state of residence to carry a concealed handgun to carry a concealed handgun in any state, provided he or she possesses a validly issued state permit. Under the legislation, if a gun owner is from a state that does not require a separate permit, he or she must possess a government-issued photo ID. Authorized gun owners who do decide to carry across state lines, however, still would be required to adhere to the respective firearms laws of each state.
    Supporters of this legislation argue that the current interstate reciprocity framework for carry permits can hinder their ability to lawfully carry a handgun across state lines while on business or recreational travel. Some opponents of the bill argue that the federal government should not make it easier for individuals to carry concealed handguns, while others argue that the states are in the best position to ensure the public safety of their citizens and should be allowed to choose which carry permits to honor.
    On December 6, 2017, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. Though similar to the Senate bill in some respects, there are several differences between the two pieces of legislation. H.R. 38 includes provisions specifying that those who may lawfully carry a concealed handgun in any state are not subject to federal laws regulating firearm possession in school zones or federally owned lands open to the public. In addition, H.R. 38 includes the Fix NICS Act, which aims to incentivize state and federal agencies to report to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
    S. 446 and H.R. 38 are currently pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Should they come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.
    It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, or visit my website. Please note when contacting my Senate office that I am only able to respond to questions or concerns related to official Senate business. As such, this letter addresses the issues you raised, which relate to my work in the United States Senate.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Finally heard back from No Commitment Joe today. Here's his usual smoke blowing, I won't tell you where I stand, BS:

March 27, 2018
    Dear Friend,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding S. 446, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017. Like you, I believe this is an issue that deserves thoughtful consideration.
    Whether a gun owner or not, we can all agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. I have always recognized that the overwhelming majority of gun owners exercise their Second Amendment rights in a responsible and law-abiding manner.
    As you may know, all fifty states and the District of Columbia allow for individuals to carry concealed handguns if they meet certain criteria. Currently, laws related to concealed carry are enacted at the state level and vary between individual states. Indiana, in addition to issuing concealed carry permits to Hoosiers and certain non-residents, recognizes all concealed carry permits issued by other states. While many states also recognize Indiana permits, 17 states, including Illinois, do not honor concealed carry permits issued by Indiana.
    The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act was introduced in the Senate on February 27, 2017. If enacted into law, this bill would authorize an individual who is not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm and who is entitled by his or her state of residence to carry a concealed handgun to carry a concealed handgun in any state, provided he or she possesses a validly issued state permit. Under the legislation, if a gun owner is from a state that does not require a separate permit, he or she must possess a government-issued photo ID. Authorized gun owners who do decide to carry across state lines, however, still would be required to adhere to the respective firearms laws of each state.
    Supporters of this legislation argue that the current interstate reciprocity framework for carry permits can hinder their ability to lawfully carry a handgun across state lines while on business or recreational travel. Some opponents of the bill argue that the federal government should not make it easier for individuals to carry concealed handguns, while others argue that the states are in the best position to ensure the public safety of their citizens and should be allowed to choose which carry permits to honor.
    On December 6, 2017, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. Though similar to the Senate bill in some respects, there are several differences between the two pieces of legislation. H.R. 38 includes provisions specifying that those who may lawfully carry a concealed handgun in any state are not subject to federal laws regulating firearm possession in school zones or federally owned lands open to the public. In addition, H.R. 38 includes the Fix NICS Act, which aims to incentivize state and federal agencies to report to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
    S. 446 and H.R. 38 are currently pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Should they come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.
    It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, or visit my website. Please note when contacting my Senate office that I am only able to respond to questions or concerns related to official Senate business. As such, this letter addresses the issues you raised, which relate to my work in the United States Senate.
    What type of response did you except to get?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I got the same long-winded nothing of a reply too. The one silver lining is that since he wasted 6 paragraphs to tell me about the bill I ASKED HIM to support, he won't be able to lie and say he didn't know what it was about

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I got the same long-winded nothing of a reply too. The one silver lining is that since he wasted 6 paragraphs to tell me about the bill I ASKED HIM to support, he won't be able to lie and say he didn't know what it was about
    Me too! Whole page, said nothing.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You think he wrote that? :laugh:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Yep, Same. Identical letter for me as well.

At least he is keeping track of those of us that asked him to consider supporting this bill. I guess that means something in the grand scheme of things.

I am not too optimistic however...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yep, Same. Identical letter for me as well.

At least he is keeping track of those of us that asked him to consider supporting this bill. I guess that means something in the grand scheme of things.

I am not too optimistic however...
    Keeping track of? Only in as much as the counter on the number of emails in his deleted folder is going up.

Top Bottom