• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    neutral is a ground so yes they will work on 110v....220v needs a ground to work....

Funny side note about grounds. I worked with this 'electrician' who firmly believed you don't need a ground wire because the neutral goes to the same place. I found so many outlets that he jumped from ground to neutral to fool the testers. Nearly everything was in conduit so pulling that extra wire wasn't a problem.

OK, so maybe not funny...

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Funny side note about grounds. I worked with this 'electrician' who firmly believed you don't need a ground wire because the neutral goes to the same place. I found so many outlets that he jumped from ground to neutral to fool the testers. Nearly everything was in conduit so pulling that extra wire wasn't a problem.

OK, so maybe not funny...

you need grounds.....steel conduit is a ground plastic no.... ...just was saying that is why the work without a ground...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Someone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think you can run 2 GFCIs on the same circuit, or they defeat each other in some way. I had some weirdo stuff going on like that in my last kitchen. Attempting to pop one or the other with pop the kitchen breaker in the panel instead.

I work strictly with conduit, that being said. It makes absolutely no difference how many gfci's are in a circuit. Especially if wired in parallel.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The GFCI I put in for the hot tub would not even set to power it up without a proper ground. Just assumed (I know I know) the wall circuit units were the same. They need to ground to trip them.

A GFCI measures the differential current between neutral and hot. If more current is flowing through the hot conductor than back through the neutral conductor, then it must be going somewhere - likely to ground, and maybe through a human.

Someone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think you can run 2 GFCIs on the same circuit, or they defeat each other in some way. I had some weirdo stuff going on like that in my last kitchen. Attempting to pop one or the other with pop the kitchen breaker in the panel instead.

I do believe chaining could be a problem. But, I don't know why...

I work strictly with conduit, that being said. It makes absolutely no difference how many gfci's are in a circuit. Especially if wired in parallel.

Well, yeah... theoretically everything is parallel...

Why would you ever feed a GFCI off of another GFCI?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A GFCI measures the differential current between neutral and hot. If more current is flowing through the hot conductor than back through the neutral conductor, then it must be going somewhere - likely to ground, and maybe through a human.

I do believe chaining could be a problem. But, I don't know why...

Well, yeah... theoretically everything is parallel...

Why would you ever feed a GFCI off of another GFCI?

Well, it's one safer, isn't it? ;)

[video=youtube;4xgx4k83zzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc[/video]

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    All y'all talking about these things... And I had to have a buddy come over to show me how to change an outlet receptacle.

But at least I can do that now. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just be safe.

I had my meter in a 480v 3 ph panel checking something hot. Guy walks up behind me and yells whoop. Startled me... I backed away and thought about clubbing him. Then I remembered he had a turrets type thing going on and couldn't really help it. I always checked his location before working hot after that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just be safe.

I had my meter in a 480v 3 ph panel checking something hot. Guy walks up behind me and yells whoop. Startled me... I backed away and thought about clubbing him. Then I remembered he had a turrets type thing going on and couldn't really help it. I always checked his location before working hot after that.

Yeah. I dont touch anything above 110. I can handle that jolt. I have no interest in being on my butt. (or worse)

Correction, I'll swap out a 220v water heater, but never will work hot on those.

Learning the basics of replacing switches and receptacles, changing fixtures, etc. saves so much cash and is stupid simple.

I'm trying to get my kids to learn the basics dad taught me. Sadly even saying things like "you see that job I just did? If I didnt know how to do that I would have had to give someone else the money I would have spent on two video games for you." Still hasnt got them to be interested.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Yeah. I dont touch anything above 110. I can handle that jolt. I have no interest in being on my butt. (or worse)

Correction, I'll swap out a 220v water heater, but never will work hot on those.

Learning the basics of replacing switches and receptacles, changing fixtures, etc. saves so much cash and is stupid simple.

I'm trying to get my kids to learn the basics dad taught me. Sadly even saying things like "you see that job I just did? If I didnt know how to do that I would have had to give someone else the money I would have spent on two video games for you." Still hasnt got them to be interested.

Sadly I have quite a few classmates and friends (I'm 29) that are clueless when it comes to basic house stuff. I have helped several of them do basic wiring, plumbing, drywall, etc. repairs and new runs. Stuff that I have been doing since I was 15. I had to help one mount surround sound speakers and run the wire for him because he just didn't know how to run speaker wire. The most common excuse was I will pay someone to do that stuff, my time is too valuable.

And none of them have tools, which blows my mind. Shortly after I graduated high school I had basically every tool need to work on a vehicle and a house other than AC gauges.

I have a feeling that being a simple handyman will be a very profitable career in the future.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Just be safe.

Used to work with a guy that didn't have tourettes, he thought it was funnier than hell to sneak up behind you and bang on the side of a relay cabinet or panel while you were working on it. Until the day we set him up to find out what it was like. We had wrecked out a big relay panel, big enough that you could stand in it while working in it; naturally he was standing in it when we slammed and latched the door behind him. He was screaming bloody murder while we "tried" to free him from the cabinet after somebody "inadvertently" closed and latched it with him in there, of course at the time he didn't know it was dead. We kept telling him to not touch anything and he'd be alright.

For some reason he never pulled that "prank" on anybody ever again! I hate practical jokers and tend to stay out of their games although there have been more than a few that rued the day they targeted me. I tend to go straight to the nukes and finish the job.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sadly I have quite a few classmates and friends (I'm 29) that are clueless when it comes to basic house stuff. I have helped several of them do basic wiring, plumbing, drywall, etc. repairs and new runs. Stuff that I have been doing since I was 15. I had to help one mount surround sound speakers and run the wire for him because he just didn't know how to run speaker wire. The most common excuse was I will pay someone to do that stuff, my time is too valuable.

And none of them have tools, which blows my mind. Shortly after I graduated high school I had basically every tool need to work on a vehicle and a house other than AC gauges.

I have a feeling that being a simple handyman will be a very profitable career in the future.

I've actually been considering this as a side hustle when I retire, cash only of course.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm one of those guys who'll be a handyman customer. Sadly.

My stepdad, who essentially raised me from age 10 until I was out of the house, is the kind of guy who can do absolutely anything. He's not much of a car guy - but if he sets his mind to it, he can generally get it done.

But, sadly, he didn't really have the patience to teach ME anything when I was growing up. Plus, when I was younger, I didn't have much of an interest in any of that sort.

And, now, it hurts me because now that I'm a homeowner - I can hardly do the most basic of things around my house. I will say, though, that I'm thankful for the YouTube.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm one of those guys who'll be a handyman customer. Sadly.

My stepdad, who essentially raised me from age 10 until I was out of the house, is the kind of guy who can do absolutely anything. He's not much of a car guy - but if he sets his mind to it, he can generally get it done.

But, sadly, he didn't really have the patience to teach ME anything when I was growing up. Plus, when I was younger, I didn't have much of an interest in any of that sort.

And, now, it hurts me because now that I'm a homeowner - I can hardly do the most basic of things around my house. I will say, though, that I'm thankful for the YouTube.

Youtube is a wonderful thing! I've introduced the ability to find "how to" videos on there to several people. Hell one day I came home and the wife had the washer pulled away from the wall because the pump had quit. She was sitting back there with a laptop, some basic tools and a new pump just going in. Damn I love that woman!!:rockwoot:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Youtube is a wonderful thing! I've introduced the ability to find "how to" videos on there to several people. Hell one day I came home and the wife had the washer pulled away from the wall because the pump had quit. She was sitting back there with a laptop, some basic tools and a new pump just going in. Damn I love that woman!!:rockwoot:

That's a keeper!
    Yet I say this knowing I love when my wife has me do these type of "chores" I dont let her know how much I enjoy them or the fact that I have done some jobs for free because it is just fun for me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    69701435_2156543214475111_7887514960144629760_o.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Used to work with a guy that didn't have tourettes, he thought it was funnier than hell to sneak up behind you and bang on the side of a relay cabinet or panel while you were working on it. Until the day we set him up to find out what it was like. We had wrecked out a big relay panel, big enough that you could stand in it while working in it; naturally he was standing in it when we slammed and latched the door behind him. He was screaming bloody murder while we "tried" to free him from the cabinet after somebody "inadvertently" closed and latched it with him in there, of course at the time he didn't know it was dead. We kept telling him to not touch anything and he'd be alright.

For some reason he never pulled that "prank" on anybody ever again! I hate practical jokers and tend to stay out of their games although there have been more than a few that rued the day they targeted me. I tend to go straight to the nukes and finish the job.

My dad back in the day worked for Sams publishing in the Photofact division. They were the guys that would tear down perfectly good TVs and other electronics and take readings for writing repair manuals. They had a funny, less dangerous prank they'd pull on each other. They sat on rolling stools at their workbenches. If a guy was working inside a high voltage cabinet like a TV they would sneak up behind him and quietly put a square of bubble wrap on the floor behind him. The next time he would roll away from his bench he would hear what sounded like a bunch of high voltage arcs. That tended to get the guy to un-ass the area VERY quickly. :):

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My dad back in the day worked for Sams publishing in the Photofact division. They were the guys that would tear down perfectly good TVs and other electronics and take readings for writing repair manuals. They had a funny, less dangerous prank they'd pull on each other. They sat on rolling stools at their workbenches. If a guy was working inside a high voltage cabinet like a TV they would sneak up behind him and quietly put a square of bubble wrap on the floor behind him. The next time he would roll away from his bench he would hear what sounded like a bunch of high voltage arcs. That tended to get the guy to un-ass the area VERY quickly. :):

That is funny... ass-kick worthy but funny, and safer then tossing a loaded cap to him.

Top Bottom