• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First there was the Militia, then came the US Army. Then near the same time the Merchant Marine was "drafted" into service and therefrom some became the US Navy, the US Coast Guard and the US Marines and later from the US Army came the US Air Force.

And then from Our Country's Militia and it's Merchant Marienes came this Great Nation, this Stong Nation, this Proud Nation, this God Loving Nation.

The Only Soldiers come from the US Military: the Army and Air Force, aka Airmen.

The Navy consists of the Mariens and the Coast Guard: which are not part of the US Military.

Think of it as Asprin and Kleenx. There two terms have come become inclusive of all similier products. As so the terms Military and Soldier.

piper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    I prefer being called paratrooper or LRRP. Although most civilians or even other service men or women know what those titles truly mean, but as long as Im not insulted I have no problem correcting someone just trying to be respectful.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I prefer being called paratrooper or LRRP. Although most civilians or even other service men or women know what those titles truly mean, but as long as Im not insulted I have no problem correcting someone just trying to be respectful.

Agree, if they are trying to be respectful, I dont see the reason to get bent out of shape. After all, its a lot better to be called the wrong branch, then to be spit on like some of our Vietnam veterans had to endure.
    Speaking of that, to our Vietnam Veterans, Welcome Home, Thank you for a job well done. I appreciate your service, and how its paved the way for my generation and me to serve. :patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    First there was the Militia, then came the US Army. Then near the same time the Merchant Marine was "drafted" into service and therefrom some became the US Navy, the US Coast Guard and the US Marines and later from the US Army came the US Air Force.

And then from Our Country's Militia and it's Merchant Marines came this Great Nation, this Stong Nation, this Proud Nation, this God Loving Nation.

The Only Soldiers come from the US Military: the Army and Air Force, aka Airmen.

The Navy consists of the Marines and the Coast Guard: which are not part of the US Military.

Think of it as Asprin and Kleenx. There two terms have come become inclusive of all similier products. As so the terms Military and Soldier.

Seeing as I'm a Costie, let me correct you. The Coast Guard is a branch of the Military. I'll tell you why exactly. During peace time, they do fall under the Department of Homeland Security. However, during time of war, Congress can direct them to be under the Department of the Navy, as they are now. Or at anytime by the President. During the landings at Normandy. Most Higgins boats where piloted by Coast Guard Coxswains. Coast Guard coxswains also landed Marines in the Pacific as well. Coast Guard cutters patrolled the the rivers in Vietnam, and some pilots here used for search and rescue missions. Before you go on about such matters, do some research.

Top Bottom