Calling Navy experts ..."tank boat"? Is that a new thing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The title says it all.
    A company is Indonesia recently launched a patrol boat called "tank boat". I imagine it can't be a new thing, an armored boat with a tank-like turret.

Is there something similar in the US Navy?

IMG-20210517-WA0032-1024x678.jpg

20210429-tank-Boat-1024x683.jpg

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    The title says it all.
    A company is Indonesia recently launched a patrol boat called "tank boat". I imagine it can't be a new thing, an armored boat with a tank-like turret.

Is there something similar in the US Navy?

I suspect we have somewhat similar boats; not so well armed however. The SE Asian area is ideally suited for littoral warfare. Defined as warfare in the transitional area between uplands and open water. The Navy and the Marine are early in the development and application of littoral warfare; not so much for defense efforts as for preparation for further combat experiences abroad. Sort of like what we used to call "riverine units". Just my 2 cents.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    The pic Bobzilla posted looks like it took a healthy **** and that Indonesian "tank boat" is what was left floating in the bowl.

Nice job with the rattle can paint job, ya never know when you'll need to hide your tank boat in the woods, lol.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Navy ships have had turrets since... forever.
    Some guns were in turrets, some weren't.
    Over time, they have mostly evolved to all being in turrets.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I read some accounts of Armor in VN. In one the USA put an M-48(a)3 (I think it was) in an LCT and patrolled it in the shallow waters along a section of coast. Used its gazillion candle power Xenon searchlight and 90mm cannon to good effect on the VC on the beach. And they could always land the beast on the sand if the situation called for it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Wow a split hull, how 1980's.

Marines have had boats that drive on land when necessary. The turret can have a TOW Missile system, 25mm chain gun, 85mm mortar and a host of other weapons systems over the last 40 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
      IMG_0113.jpg
      492.5 KB · Views: 10

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    It's a boat to patrol the coast line, or a river ... so it's often against a foliage background.

Same thing in the US Navy. They have some kind of woodland camo on their river boats.

2560px-US_Navy_111010-A-WF228-062_A_river_patrol_boat_transits_alongside_the_amphibious_dock_landing_ship_USS_Oak_Hill_%28LSD_51%29%2C_not_shown.jpg
    Got it! Just thought it was strange it was in desert camo and not woodland/jungle camo...it being in Indonesia.

Top Bottom