• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dado

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    I want to get a full set of camo clothing that will be good for hunting deer and have been checking out the stuff on this website… Shooting supplies | Reloading

Can anyone suggest which clothing might be the best to get, including the best camo pattern for hunting deer?

Does what you're hunting even matter when picking camo stuff, or is it all about the environment you're in?

Thanks a lot

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The best camo is "Don't Move Camo".

Tough not to do at one time or another so I wear Predator. I've still got a bunch of Predator Fall Brown that I wear a lot. Do have a little of the new Predator Deception.

The jacket is the discontinued Fall Brown (don't know why they did that) and the pants are Deception

deerseason103-1.jpg

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    Four votes in a row for the Predator camo. Have to agree with you Willie, the fall brown is great.

Don't be afraid to mix up patterns either. Often, when in a tree, I will wear Predator with a darker camo pattern vest to better match the trunk of the tree from front on.

P.S. - Nice deer Willie

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    For what it's worth, my personal choice is Cabelas Outfitter pattern.:yesway:

Trailcamera140.jpg

Good stuff. Got a few pieces with the wind shear lining, awesome. Deer are really dumb and don't see that great. What they do see well is movement, so sit still and even good old Army issue woodland is fine. Seeing them before they see you is the trick. I have a mix/matched hodgepoge of just about every pattern conceived over the last 20 years. They all work. Just remember it ain't a fashion show, the deer don't care. Ebay, Craigs list and garage sales are great places to pick some up. Weekend warrors who loose interest after 3 trips out without a deer and guys who put on a few pounds from year to year are an endless source of barely used camo clothing.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I wear a solid blaze orange parka. Sitting on the ground in a fence row this past season I had to does walk up, stop at about 3' and stare and sniff at me for about 5 min. before they decided i was nothing to worry about and wander off about 20 yards to feed. I just ate some of their chops tonight. I don't think pattern is important at all. Hell, red and black flannel was proper hunting camo for a long time. Worry more about movement and scent control and just wear what's warm and comfortable.

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    The biggest thing is UV. If you don't deaden the UV in your clothing you will stand out like a white shirt under a black light to a deer.

That being said I like the Mossy Oak Infinity. I don't have a big budget for camo, and just got a full set this winter when it went on sale at the end of the season. Hope its cold enough to wear it next November.

Last edited:

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I've been using the gander mountain guide series for a few years now. Good for all weather conditions. Bought them on sale during the spring sale they usually have. The jacket is a 4 in 1 layers. I use the lighter jacket for bowhunting. Pants are nice and light, but still keep you warm during shotgun season. Camo pattern really doesn't matter just wash them with UV killer. I usually then spray them with scent killer with earth scent just incase.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I bought a few pair of pants and short sleeve shirts at Walmart last year. It looks like realtree, might even be realtree ,cant remember. Hard to beat 5 dollar t's and 12 dollar pants. Use to buy Redhead from BassPro,1 pair of pants and shirt was around 90 bucks.
    Most of my camo is suitable during archery,

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    ASAT and Predator camo in my opinion are the best. Simply because the do not blend together like realtree and mossy oak. The pattern is more open then the big name guys patterns are.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I just wear jeans with layers of warm clothing underneath and a Cabela's fleece lined ranch coat. Wool socks keep my feet warm in leather Gortex lined Wolverine boots. Lined leather gloves keep my hands warm as they hold my Marlin 1894 chambered in 44mag.

I simply sit back in the woods and enjoy watching the sun come up or dusk settle in while I wait for some venison to come along.

I'm enjoying some jerky from last season right now!

Man.... how many more days until deer season!?!?!?!?

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I've heard it said that the camouflage patterns out there are more to attract the buyer than to be effective in the woods. It makes some sense, though you'd think if it didn't work, they soon wouldn't sell any. But we are talking about people, and if it looks neat we will buy it.

Back to the OPs question, in early archery I will wear a pair of Realtree AP bibs, and whatever camo pattern I have for a shirt or jacket that matches the weather. Even into colder weather, those bibs are pretty standard, and I just layer under them. I've got some simple 2 tone green or brown fleece zip ups for cooler weather, underarmor for warmer weather or layering. I rarely dress very bulky unless it is really cold. My dad has seen me in the tree and says I blend in well (from another hunter's perspective).

Now for a deer's perspective - a few years ago I was hunting on the ground early in bow season with this setup, and killed a doe that came in within 5 yards of me while I sat at a cornerpost at the edge of a pretty open beanfield. 2 days later, another doe came just as close as I sat the other side of that field at the woods edge, and it stood there and ate acorns like I wasn't there.

I also bought a pair of Cabela's stand hunter bibs and jacket last year that are super warm! Almost too much if you have to go very far in them. The pattern is pretty simple - none of the fancy new stuff.

And for a last thought, take a look at someone a little ways off wearing just brown Carharts in the woods. Those things blend in quite well, and sometimes I'll just wear those as well.

Top Bottom