Camp Atterbury July 23—Jul 24: 500 yards of rifle challenge! Who's going?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    From my understanding, yes...same positions. People will score your targets for you. No walking down and back! They will teach you the dope on the scope here! Remember a notebook (small). Sign up! I'm a 1st timer also. What better way to learn?

I don't know about you, but 500yd ranges are hard to come by for me. I'm excited to test my limits.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I'm sure Huff or YHJ will also chime in, but the basic lay of the land is that you'll start at 25 yds. getting a good solid zero on your rifle. Then you'll do some exercises that will teach you more about your optics and their capabilities than you can remember, so it is essential to have something to write on and something to write with.

After all that is done, you'll start to shoot at actual distances. You'll shoot a string, find out where they hit, make adjustments to your optics, then shoot again to verify your adjustments. Pack up and move to the next firing line. Wash, rinse, repeat until you've got your DOPE for all the yardages.

You will record EVERYTHING you do at all times. Be sure to have something to write on and something to write with.

You will also be lugging all your gear from firing line to firing line, so read what's been written earlier in this thread, then read it a few more times. You should be able to get by with a single ruck sack / back pack with gear and your rifle slung over your shoulder.

There's nothing like the Atterbury experience. If you have any chance at all to get to this event, do it!

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Well, I just bought my ticket so I'm in. I feel like a shlub bringing a scope rifle but my eyes don't work near as well as they used to. Only 14 spots left folks.

At what range should I zero my rifle? I've read 100 and 200 yards. Which one?

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    No shlubing allowed, a rifleman shoots what he has and is glad to have it ;^) The day is fast approaching where I will no longer do my best work on a target without optics. I already had to switch to shooting glasses to see the front post.

Any zero range will work, so long as you know it to be true. What we do not want is shots to go a flyin' all hither and yon with no idea where they might be headed. If you got a known zero anywhere from 25 to 200 yards, it will be all good and yummy.

DAve

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'll be there. I'm bring two tarps (in case anyone needs an extra). Shooting mat, propane cooktop stove, three ammo cans on wheels, laptop computer, umbrella (big beach type with leg stands), cooler on wheels, and porta potty (no thanks to ol huff).
    So who's helping me carry all this stuff? :D

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'll be there. I'm bring two tarps (in case anyone needs an extra). Shooting mat, propane cooktop stove, three ammo cans on wheels, laptop computer, umbrella (big beach type with leg stands), cooler on wheels, and porta potty (no thanks to ol huff).
    So who's helping me carry all this stuff? :D

Sorry Robby, your own your own, but I will use that porta potty you'll be totting around. No peeing in the bushes allowed you know.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I was wondering about the target guys. Is that why its a two day shoot? One day shooting , one day in the pit?

Not really. Folks will get a chance to score from the pits but it won't be an all day thing for attendees. Mostly it'll be instructors and volunteers who squad the pits.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I was wondering about the target guys. Is that why its a two day shoot? One day shooting , one day in the pit?
    It's a two day event because one day just isn't long enough for the common man to absorb all the rifleman knowledge that quite literally radiates from Huff and YHJ ... it oozes from every pore on their bodies ... when the light is low, you can easily see a distinct glow about them.

Two days is just about right ... any more time and you run the risk of an overdose.

You will want to wear some cheap sunglasses at all times, and have an extra pair or two readily accessible in your pack ... just in case.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    It's a two day event because one day just isn't long enough for the common man to absorb all the rifleman knowledge that quite literally radiates from Huff and YHJ ... it oozes from every pore on their bodies ... when the light is low, you can easily see a distinct glow about them.

Two days is just about right ... any more time and you run the risk of an overdose.

You will want to wear some cheap sunglasses at all times, and have an extra pair or two readily accessible in your pack ... just in case.

The he glow is gas, just gas.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I was told this is like the PGA tour. Do we get to pick out our caddy or are they assigned?
    While I have n't weighed my essentials I'd say around 120 kgs (that's about 250 LBs for the non metric folks!).
    Between running back and forth to the pits and carrying all the "essentials" I need a motivated individual.
    Male or female I don't care if they can handle it.
    I saw Hop's name earlier and wondered if there was some kind of sign up sheet?
    Really looking forward to this by the way.

Top Bottom