Camp Atterbury July 23—Jul 24: 500 yards of rifle challenge! Who's going?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Long term weather forecast is leaning towards 93+ degrees for this event. Can I bring a baby pool to shoot the seated and prone stages from?

(Add purple as needed)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Long term weather forecast is leaning towards 93+ degrees for this event. Can I bring a baby pool to shoot the seated and prone stages from?

(Add purple as needed)

That's some Navy Seal **** right there.

Kidding aside...One of the times I did Atterbury it was VERY nice to have frozen some water bottles. Throughout the day you pour water from a non solid bottle into the frozen one and drink cold water all day long! I'll bring a large cooler that will stay either in the car or between the 500yd line and parking area or in the pits (whatever is allowed). Access to it will ONLY be a handful of times per day so still plan to carry what you need.

I also found having a couple small hand towels are very handy to wipe sweat, use as an elbow rest (field shooting mat :-) ) getting sun lotion out of your eyes, wiping lotion, bug spray, and sweat off of eye pro.....

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Yes Nad63, I plan to help this time. Maybe Sunday only though. Too much stuff on the calendar.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Ok ... I'm in. Saturday only though ... :(.

Now before I start calling hotels, anyone have an empty couch on Friday night?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I figured I would just head home overnight once I heard about no camping on base but a quick Google and there ARE other places to camp nearby. I'm going to be camping the entire week prior to the event at Ransburg Boy Scout camp in so. IN and coming directly from there Sat. AM so I don't think I'll have the ability to put it together but IF someone were to find a campsite for Sat. night near by it sounds like we have a fair number of folks that would do it. That could be pretty fun to reserve spots together and discuss marksmanship, history and liberty over a camp fire between days!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Rifle is zeroed. 3 shots, 1 hole. Love me some 69gr smk!

I'll never be able to do that again haha

9te8uo.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Rifle is zeroed. 3 shots, 1 hole. Love me some 69gr smk!

I'll never be able to do that again haha

9te8uo.jpg

Nice! You'll get some good come-up data on that load at the various ranges 100-400. Don't forget your notebook.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I'd offer up a couch at my place but I don't think that'd be much help to any of you coming from the north or east. "If you're willing to drive two hours past Atterbury, sure, you can stay here."

HYDRATE!!!

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I will be working on my deck. If it got done this weekend, I would be going. I might be working on it the weekend after as well. :faint:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I will be working on my deck. If it got done this weekend, I would be going. I might be working on it the weekend after as well. :faint:
    I'm pretty certain the deck will still be there, waiting to be worked on, long after this weekend. :)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    20 minutes.

Some other pearls: when arriving follow the speed limit. It's well posted on base but I get the feeling doing 26 in a 25 puts you at risk of being pulled over.

Supposed to be near if not reaching 100 degrees! Adverse conditions, 400-500 yards, military grade weapons and maneuvers in the background. .. I'm stoked!

Last time I shot day long events in that kind of heat the small hand towel or wash rag was worth its weight in gold simply because it was white. I could leave it on the black hand guard or stock between courses of fire to keep it from soaking up the sun and frying your hand or cheek.

I'll not have the large cooler I originally thought I would.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    And don't forget: even if 26/25 mph MAY get you pulled over, and 30/25 is likely to...

...the 5 mph around walking troops is a HARD limit. I prefer 3.

Have fun ya'll! It's a great range.

-Nate

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Supposed to be near if not reaching 100 degrees! Adverse conditions, 400-500 yards, military grade weapons and maneuvers in the background. .. I'm stoked!

Last time I shot day long events in that kind of heat the small hand towel or wash rag was worth its weight in gold simply because it was white. I could leave it on the black hand guard or stock between courses of fire to keep it from soaking up the sun and frying your hand or cheek.

I'll not have the large cooler I originally thought I would.

Those are going to be some harsh conditions. I'm getting old. A cooling towel and a cap that will be soaked continually will be the order of the day for me. 6 Liter camelbak filled with ice and water in the morning and power bars, SPF 80 sunblock, glove or oven mitt for the left hand ... lets get it done.

I'll see about having an extra cooler filled with just ice for anyone that needs it first thing in the morning (sorry ... it's going to stay in the car).

Top Bottom