• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    GVWR gross vehicle weight rating should be on the door sticker.

A 5k pound truck with a 7k GVWR gives you 2k for passengers fuel cargo ect and then the tongue weight of the trailer. So if tongue weight is 200 pounds that would leave 1800 for fuel passengers and cargo. As applies to towing as I understand things.

Some states are real sticklers on GVWR and some countries are very picky. I have only seen it brought up in court when an insurance company finds out after an accident. The overweight van was unable to stop because it was over GVWR and the insurance policy does not cover vehicles which are driven over GVWR.

It is a very good idea to weight the vehicle pre build, post build, and towing loaded and unloaded with water and cargo. Almost no one ever does. Some scale do side to side weight also.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    This is giving me a lot to consider……. So my towing capacity on my Colorado is 7k so even though it “can” pull that it is looking like to tow comfortably I want to be well below that and reduce drag / headwind resistance…. I am really liking that hard sided pop up the trailmanor just not liking the price
    Search rvtrader.com and Facebook marketplace. We bought our Trailmanor used and loved it for the years we had it. Just sold it last spring on FB. There are deals to be had and you don’t need new.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    GVWR gross vehicle weight rating should be on the door sticker.

A 5k pound truck with a 7k GVWR gives you 2k for passengers fuel cargo ect and then the tongue weight of the trailer. So if tongue weight is 200 pounds that would leave 1800 for fuel passengers and cargo. As applies to towing as I understand things.

Some states are real sticklers on GVWR and some countries are very picky. I have only seen it brought up in court when an insurance company finds out after an accident. The overweight van was unable to stop because it was over GVWR and the insurance policy does not cover vehicles which are driven over GVWR.

It is a very good idea to weight the vehicle pre build, post build, and towing loaded and unloaded with water and cargo. Almost no one ever does. Some scale do side to side weight also.
    Or one could also look at GCWC gross combined weight capacity. J

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have only seen it brought up in court when an insurance company finds out after an accident. The overweight van was unable to stop because it was over GVWR and the insurance policy does not cover vehicles which are driven over GVWR.
    Could you share details of this happening? I have heard this before but have never seen it actually happen. I would think that state insurance requirements would not allow for this.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Could you share details of this happening? I have heard this before but have never seen it actually happen. I would think that state insurance requirements would not allow for this.
    Was a work van carrying heavy amount of copper cable and steel unistrut. Insurance covered the damaged car the van struck at an intersection. (Thus the above under the state law) Then the insurance company canceled the companies coverage statewide and sued the company to recover the amount of the claim. I personally was not involved in the details but I did get a new insurance card for my work van.

I believe (story told by the worker who could not stop in time) when the van was towed to the repair shop and the insurance company towed it to a weight station and documented the weight before the items could be removed from the work van.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Or one could also look at GCWC gross combined weight capacity. J
    The precent of tongue weight would vary from trailer to trailer. Dual axle verses single axle and what you have loaded where ect. Would require a tongue weight gauge to get the accurate tongue weight only for GVWR.

I am not into trailers much but have tied down large equipment to them often like a skid steer ect. Moving stone is so much easier with the correct equipment. Someone else's truck and trailer with them driving.

Small canoes and kayaks, small Jon boats stuff I can basically lift the tongue and move to the truck would be my normal tow. the heaviest I tow would most likely be a zero turn mover or large load of mulch. Your normal utility style trailer on the small size.

Let us know what you decide to do. I am looking around for a good deal but normally I see good ones only when no one is towing much around.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Came across this. WOW! Surprisingly the insurance company covered the broken frame when RAM warranty would not.

IMG_2700-scaled.jpg

IMG_2701-scaled.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Came across this. WOW! Surprisingly the insurance company covered the broken frame when RAM warranty would not.

IMG_2700-scaled.jpg

In BaJa and where also. I am definitely in the less is more category but the wife is in the put the house on wheels camp.

Personally I think that rig is ugly.
    For a dodge I like this

Attachments

• IMG_8207.jpeg
      IMG_8207.jpeg
      149.6 KB · Views: 8

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I‘m on the
    I’m sure every brand has a similar site. Note that this is not a Jayco sponsored site. More information to make your head spin. Most confusing seems to be the weight category. Go to any manufacturer site to review all their floor plans with specifications.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Found the absolute perfect camper……… except it is on FB and go won’t get back to me he said it is available and hasn’t responded since. Hoping he is gathering his thoughts but he read all the messages and hasn’t responded…………… oh well.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Not to hijack the thread but I'm also in the market. @Super Bee what brands should I stay away from? Are any of the Coleman offerings decent? Looking like i can get their 21ft model that meets my needs for around $15k new. Max capacity around 5k pounds to keep it around 85% tow capacity for my vehicle

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Found the absolute perfect camper……… except it is on FB and go won’t get back to me he said it is available and hasn’t responded since. Hoping he is gathering his thoughts but he read all the messages and hasn’t responded…………… oh well.
    FB Marketplace is a Scammers Delight. So many trailers, cars that are not real is incredulous. Check the sellers profile, cross check to see if they even actually are in the state that the trailer is for sale in. I see a trailer or car photo listed as for sale in multiple states an locations with the alleged owner not even in the same state or area. Good Luck.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    What model did you see? We bought a camper several years ago off of eBay with no issue. But good advice for market place, or any online site, from 4sarge!

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    When I said perfect I meant it…. That isn’t even the cool side but you guys are gonna steal it lol so IF this doesn’t go through……. I will definitely be stealing his ideas since he won’t respond to me.

Attachments

• 71130174968__0B65E6AC-4D3B-4506-844A-4172ACE48ACA.jpeg
      71130174968__0B65E6AC-4D3B-4506-844A-4172ACE48ACA.jpeg
      574.3 KB · Views: 16
    Top Bottom