10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    1. PMR-30 .22 mag
    2. Buckmark .22LR
    3. Full sized (9mm or greater)
    4. Other
    5. Bacon
    The above are my options, what would you carry, and why? Location will be Red River Gorge.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Depends entirely on where I am going.

In the Grand Canyon I carried my KelTec 3AT, and the girls each had one as well. In previous trips there I'd carried some version of a pocket gun because when you hike uphill a lot, weight is a concern.

I've also carried my full size compact gun in 10mm or .40s&w in less hilly country.

I've hiked a few thousand miles and spent several years of my life sleeping outdoors and the only thing I feared out in nature was other people.

In Grizzly country I carried a gun for protection from people and a 20oz canister of bear spray for Mr. Griz.

Occasionally I've carried my Buckmark as well to hunt squirrel and rabbit where legal and I was so inclined.

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    wheelgun. .357 depending on where you are camping. I would definitely want something that I don't have to worry about a jam if Smokey the Bear decides he wants a snack. also want some serious knock down power for smokey

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Me, I take my SP-101 when camping. I'm thinking about a PM9, CW9 or a 638 for summer carry.....but in the woods, I like to have a .357. It isn't always people you run into in the woods, and I like a little better preparation (although for Smokey, I'm sure that a .357 will just **** him off too). The 101, while hefty, covers all the bases for me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The same thing I carry any other time. I'm already familiar with it, and have a good holster or two. Your option #3 is the closest match, being an XD sub-compact in .40 caliber.

.22 Mag/LR doesn't seem like much for predators (2 or 4 legged). A friend kept a pistol-gripped, short-barrel shotgun strapped to his backpack, but any attack would be long over by the time he could get to it. A compact pistol in 9mm/10mm/.40/.45 within easy reach sounds about right to me. A poly frame and a good belt/holster combo helps with comfort.

Oh, and your poll isn't multi-select! NEVER go camping w/o bacon!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just use my EDC as always. Use whatever works best for you. If you need to keep the weight down for alot of hiking then I understand the pocket pistol.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I just use my EDC as always. Use whatever works best for you. If you need to keep the weight down for alot of hiking then I understand the pocket pistol.

^this

glock 27 .40 with spare mags.

Or my 19 9mm (magazine capacity is a plus here), but I would feel better with a .40 if I had to shoot a bear or something ridiculous like that.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    G27 on hip, .357 snub in pocket or ankle and of course a knife. But communing with nature is nothing without Bacon. Why even go without it?

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    small/lightweight .38 special revolver. first couple rounds should be some kind of snake load followed with ball or whatever you fancy. also be sure and carry a couple reloads worth of ammo with you just in case.

also nice if someone in the group can carry a hi-cap autoloader in case you get into some kind of social work. biggest enemy in the gorge is probably drunk turds looking for trouble. never seen that, though, just hear them in the distance sometimes if you're in a more traveled/camped area like chimney top.

have fun out there and be safe!

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    I like the idea of one of my wheel guns, but my 40 looks cool... I'd probably still take a wheel gun.

Top Bottom