• Camping; What would you carry and why"

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    When I was camping in the Gorge years ago I carried a Ruger Security Six, not many bears, never saw one in all the years I was back backing there but depending on the time of year there were plenty of varmints roaming around is you get my drift.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Nanny- not sure if you're really likely to see bears at the gorge; started going there mid 70's, never seen one. Did have my car broken into once, shotgun and some other stuff stolen. [like mid-80's] Came across one crazy person, made me glad I was armed,late 90's. Last visit 3 yrs ago. Bring whatever, keep it visible as a deterrent to problems from 2 legged vermin. A revolver w/snake shot loads could be useful!

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    A guy was bitten by a black bear there last year, but odds are way against bears and way in favor of being bothered by drunken idiots. I would take something more geared to defense against them then bears

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    My CW9 is with me everywhere... When camping it is light and comfortable. When in the forest on my horse it sits on my belt without wearing me out beating me to death. It can get dirty and still shoot. I trust it in the city and in the woods.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    wheelgun. .357 depending on where you are camping. I would definitely want something that I don't have to worry about a jam if Smokey the Bear decides he wants a snack. also want some serious knock down power for smokey

DITTO on the .357mag wheel-gun! Best overall outdoor gun (in my opinion!) If I were around smokey bear on a regular basis, then the .454 Alaskan would be on my hip instead!

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I have usually carried a .22 of some sort. Smith & Wesson model 43 is the lightest one I have ever had. 12 ozs. you quickly forget about.
    I also have an AMT Lightning that I take quite a bit. 20 rounds quickly available.
    The light weight of .22 ammo is a big plus. Usually carry 100 rounds on trip. Can plink around camp, shoot small game and I can empty the Lightning in 1.6 seconds if I need to. Also very accurate out to 100 yards.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Thanks for all the replies! The family and I just got back from the Gorge and I ended up carrying my M&P.40S&W. My thinking was similar to many of yours... I took the M&P (always bedside, often carried) based on caliber, capacity, and reliability. The PMR-30 was a close second based on capacity and weight. As expected, it never left it's holster.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Obviously I would carry my m44 with the bayonet extended at all times. I'd like to see Smokey put out that fireball.

Plus I could use it to cook the bacon.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    It really depends on where I would be camping. If there isn't any chance of running into any deadly wild predators I would stick with my normal carry 9mm. If I was camping out of state or in an area where bears or cats are an issue I carry a 357 mag.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with any rimfire pistols simply due to the fact that they are inherently more unreliable than centerfire pistols.

Top Bottom