• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Today my husband called and said someone he knew had found a stray dog. The dog was very sweet, well cared for, and had been hanging around for a couple of days at a workplace. Collar, but no tag. They were trying to find the owner. Husband wanted to know if I had any ideas, and if we could keep the dog in the meantime. We have 3 other dogs, so this might not have been easy, but I said we could try, and we do have a spare crate if needed. He said the person who found it didn't want it to go to the shelter. I said maybe we should still contact the shelter (HS), to see if the owner was looking for it. I did that, and the shelter said someone was looking for a lost dog that may have been a match. I told the shelter we had no problem keeping the dog if the owner wasn't found, or that we would foster it until a home was found. The shelter lady was adamant that they needed to have the dog at the shelter and wanted to send animal control to get it. Next thing you know, they keep calling us insisting on picking up the dog, which wasn't in our possession, it was still at the other location. When animal control showed up at the guy's work, he didn't want to let the dog go, and it got pretty ugly. Now I think the guy is mad at us, and to be honest, I am not happy with the shelter. I only wanted to try to help someone find their missing pet, as I would want someone to do for us if one of ours was missing. Can they legally show up and demand the dog, even without the owner? I feel bad about the way it went down, it wasn't my intention. Figures, any other time a nuisance dog is running around, the animal control rarely does anything! :(

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't know. I wouldn't think they could without some sort of paper work but tagging to see if you get a definitive answer.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A dog on the loose is committing a crime, right? Maybe they have to detain said criminal until a responsible party can take over care. No good deed goes unpunished sort of thing it looks like.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Easy thing is you go to the shelter......and either say the dog is yours, and risk paying the doggy bond and fine for tags. Or you can wait and see if someone claims it, if not, adopt it.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Many Humane Societies have become nothing more than a $$ racket.

My dog was stolen from my yard a few years back. I let him outside for roughly 10 mins, when I opened the door to let him in I got no response. I threw on my boots and found his collar on the sidewalk out front. I called the Police Dept and filed a report expecting nothing would come of it. About 3 hours later I received a call from the Humane Society, they said someone dropped him off with a note claiming he'd been rescued from an abusive owner.

Anyhow, when I went to pick him up they told me I had to pay an $80 no tags fine, as well as a $100 spay/neuter fee.
    I was able to get them to back off the neutering with threat of a lawsuit for damaging my dog, but I still got stuck with the $80 fine. Welcome to Soviet Society...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Easy thing is you go to the shelter......and either say the dog is yours, and risk paying the doggy bond and fine for tags. Or you can wait and see if someone claims it, if not, adopt it.

What is animal control's policing authority? Is that false reporting? Is it theft of someone's pet? I wouldn't claim the animal as mine.

i don't need police investigations in my life. It's busy enough.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We weren't trying to keep it, just wanted to make sure the owner was found, and if not, give it a good home. I don't know if it would have worked out at our house, I have my hands full with 3 already. Just didn't really want it all freaked out sitting in the animal shelter.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The humane society wants real proof of ownership prior to releasing the animal. They needed to come get it to complete identification. They would have released it back to you for fostering if a match was not made.

Going through it with a sweet kitty right now....

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I called the HS and it was not the missing dog we had hoped. So...if an owner doesn't turn up in 3 days, we may have a new dog. An unneutered male...and we already have 2 males, but they are neutered. Part of me hopes the owner is found, I hope they are a good, responsible owner. Husband already seems in love with the dog...my how things change! He used to not want ANY dogs!
    If we do take the dog, we will get him neutered. Hopefully he will get along ok with the rest of the crew, if not, probably have to find him a good home. One of our dogs is getting pretty old, so sadly, we won't have this many much longer. He's still doing good, but showing his age some, and I know I can't expect a lot more years with him.

Top Bottom