• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Many Humane Societies have become nothing more than a $$ racket.

My dog was stolen from my yard a few years back. I let him outside for roughly 10 mins, when I opened the door to let him in I got no response. I threw on my boots and found his collar on the sidewalk out front. I called the Police Dept and filed a report expecting nothing would come of it. About 3 hours later I received a call from the Humane Society, they said someone dropped him off with a note claiming he'd been rescued from an abusive owner.

Anyhow, when I went to pick him up they told me I had to pay an $80 no tags fine, as well as a $100 spay/neuter fee.
    I was able to get them to back off the neutering with threat of a lawsuit for damaging my dog, but I still got stuck with the $80 fine. Welcome to Soviet Society...

Tempting to file a complaint against them for receiving stolen property.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If I forget where I parked my car, can the first person to claim it, keep it?

The answer is: on the opposite side of the block next to the alley so you can cut through it to get to the bar without your wife or girlfriend seeing you parked near the bar!

Nailed it!

images

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Many Humane Societies have become nothing more than a $$ racket.

My dog was stolen from my yard a few years back. I let him outside for roughly 10 mins, when I opened the door to let him in I got no response. I threw on my boots and found his collar on the sidewalk out front. I called the Police Dept and filed a report expecting nothing would come of it. About 3 hours later I received a call from the Humane Society, they said someone dropped him off with a note claiming he'd been rescued from an abusive owner.

Anyhow, when I went to pick him up they told me I had to pay an $80 no tags fine, as well as a $100 spay/neuter fee.
    I was able to get them to back off the neutering with threat of a lawsuit for damaging my dog, but I still got stuck with the $80 fine. Welcome to Soviet Society...

Glad to see someone besides me has been brutally raped by the gestapos, wish more people would see the light,your case is a drop in the bucket compared to mine which involved dcs.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    From what I know about animal control laws, whether or not they legally "can" take a dog depends on a couple of things:

First, animal control is different than a humane society, though in some places they operate under 1 roof (ie a charitable group is given the authority and budget for an animal control agency).

Secondly, they cannot take a dog just because they think they can. If there was a report of it being a nuisance stray, then can pick it up. But if you say you have possession of it, there is no legal grounds for them to take the dog. They also have in some cases some authority to intervene in animal abuse.

A lot of animal control guys get um, "enthusiastic" about their enforcement abilities. I'm guessing that was the case here.

The sticky part is that if you say "it's my dog now" then you might be admitting you have a dog you haven't licensed, ID'd, vaccinated, etc.

In most cases, the budgets are so tight for these organizations that it's ludicrous for them to be picking up dogs that someone else is voluntarily caring for. But you can't fix stupid.

I think sometimes you just have to remind them that they need some authority or reason to enter your property, and if no one complained about a disturbance from a dog, nor abuse from a dog, they can't enter just because they think you might have a dog (at least not any animal control agency that I know of).

Remember that while animal control might technically fall in the law enforcement category, some of the employees are minimally trained, short-term employees and acting on their own super-ego. If all else fails, distract them with "there is a pit bull about 3 blocks over there".

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    A lot of back and forth in this thread. Just want to put this out there. If you find a dog and it looks like its been cared for and you want to avoid the gestapo. Then take the dog to any veterinarian and ask them to scan it for a chip. If you are already a dog owner you should already have a Vet. Takes about two seconds. If the owner chipped the dog the owner will be notified. That is the easy way. I have had much better luck with Animal Control than the Humane Society. I won't take a found dog to the Humane Society ever again. I won't go into the story but I got the impression I was sending a dog I found to the gas chamber when I took a found dog there a few years ago.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A lot of back and forth in this thread. Just want to put this out there. If you find a dog and it looks like its been cared for and you want to avoid the gestapo. Then take the dog to any veterinarian and ask them to scan it for a chip. If you are already a dog owner you should already have a Vet. Takes about two seconds. If the owner chipped the dog the owner will be notified. That is the easy way. I have had much better luck with Animal Control than the Humane Society. I won't take a found dog to the Humane Society ever again. I won't go into the story but I got the impression I was sending a dog I found to the gas chamber when I took a found dog there a few years ago.

You were. It is the "Humane" thing to do.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    WE have tried to get animal control out here several times for strays and bad owners. They have yet to respond.

They can be hit and miss. I believe they are overwhelmed. The best way to get them to respond is go though the Mayors action line.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    From what I know about animal control laws, whether or not they legally "can" take a dog depends on a couple of things:

First, animal control is different than a humane society, though in some places they operate under 1 roof (ie a charitable group is given the authority and budget for an animal control agency).

Secondly, they cannot take a dog just because they think they can. If there was a report of it being a nuisance stray, then can pick it up. But if you say you have possession of it, there is no legal grounds for them to take the dog. They also have in some cases some authority to intervene in animal abuse.

A lot of animal control guys get um, "enthusiastic" about their enforcement abilities. I'm guessing that was the case here.

The sticky part is that if you say "it's my dog now" then you might be admitting you have a dog you haven't licensed, ID'd, vaccinated, etc.

In most cases, the budgets are so tight for these organizations that it's ludicrous for them to be picking up dogs that someone else is voluntarily caring for. But you can't fix stupid.

I think sometimes you just have to remind them that they need some authority or reason to enter your property, and if no one complained about a disturbance from a dog, nor abuse from a dog, they can't enter just because they think you might have a dog (at least not any animal control agency that I know of).

Remember that while animal control might technically fall in the law enforcement category, some of the employees are minimally trained, short-term employees and acting on their own super-ego. If all else fails, distract them with "there is a pit bull about 3 blocks over there".

Since I wasn't there, I don't really know, but I was told the animal control guy did act like he was on a power trip. I did hear a voicemail from him, and he sounded nice enough to me. :dunno: He did mention he'd been doing this for awhile and had experience. The others thought he was being cocky, I thought he was just trying to be reassuring. For now, we are working with the shelter and hoping the owner steps forward.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The guy that found the dog did take it to a vet, she is also trying to help find the owner. Just so happens to be our vet, too.
    I imagine the shelter workers and animal control probably have a difficult job to do. I feel a little better after talking to them again yesterday after I posted this. It was just a big mess all the way around! Normally we don't get that involved with every stray that comes along, but this one evidently tugged at my husband's heart strings. We still hope the owner is found, we weren't really planning on another dog, so that would be the best scenario!

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Since I wasn't there, I don't really know, but I was told the animal control guy did act like he was on a power trip. I did hear a voicemail from him, and he sounded nice enough to me. :dunno: He did mention he'd been doing this for awhile and had experience. The others thought he was being cocky, I thought he was just trying to be reassuring. For now, we are working with the shelter and hoping the owner steps forward.

It looks as though the HS in Cass County is paid to do animal control work both for the county and for the city of Logansport. Logansport defines pretty much what I said earlier, that there needs to be evidence of cruelty or disturbance for them to impound the dog. "Disturbance" can be as simple as running loose but once the dog was contained and cared for I'm sure they had no authority to insist on taking it.

Any animal may be captured and impounded by any peace officer if such animal:
    1) Is found running at large within the city.
    2) Is a menace to persons or other animals.
    3) Is suffering or reasonable suspected to be suffering from an infection or contagious
    disease.
    4) Causes serious annoyance or disturbance to persons in the neighborhood by habitual
    howling, yelping, barking, meowing or any other type of loud noises or otherwise.
    5) Is kept in any unsanitary manner thereby causing odors which are annoying and
    disturbing to the persons in the neighborhood.
    6) Is treated by the owner in a cruel or inhumane manner or be considered as an
    abandoned animal.

I didn't find the ordinance for the county, but it's not likely he had the authority he exercised.

As a Humane Society, the shelter probably has a board that controls actions, hires employees, etc. My suggestion is that they need to know how this person is behaving and reel him in a bit. Your vet might even be involved or suggest who could be called to politely express your concern. If they are organized, that may be enough to change behavior in the future.
    I do suggest that you tell someone with some authority because I've seen people in such position get increasingly abusive in taking animals until someone stops them or replaces them.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Sounds like the guy who found (or stole) the dog has no intention of finding the owner. I assume you told him there is a possible match but not even taking the dog to see if it is microchipped definitely says something about his intentions.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom