can i carry in tje lobby of marion county jail?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    i never said i knew it all. and with that being said i am off to go do something more productive with my time today.

Now being a member of this INGO community isn't being productive?

If I were you, I would probably just sign-up all over again under a new username and start fresh. :D Wolfy seems to be a tainted username now. :D

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Wolfy, your arrogance and low post count screams of trolling. After 3 years of LAW School and many years of practice, I can tell you that I STILL regularly have to look up statutes or case law, in particular regarding Gun laws. The original post had a reasonable question and your terse "holier than thou" condescending attitude added nothing. There actually is a very grey area when it comes to jails, and whether like Porter County if they are actually a physical attachment to the building or whether they are simply on the same property.

As Thumper would say, "If you can't say something nice, it's better to not say anything at all"

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    First let me say thank you to all with the positive feed back,and for simply having my back. Now for the troll(s) or "wolfy" dude,or dudeette give me a break . I will admit I only did brief research on line ,and couldn't find the answer,so of course I come to my faithful forum of local gun buddies for some help.

Finally because I have been working I had to call the jail and straight up ask them. They told me there is no specific policy on carry in the lobby.....so I did,and had no problem. If anyone can find information about this on line let me know.

In closing Indiana gun owners forum is a great resource for information,and just plain good reading too.

Thanks again. Bryan (just completed my 1st year carrying 'concealed.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    First let me say thank you to all with the positive feed back,and for simply having my back. Now for the troll(s) or "wolfy" dude,or dudeette give me a break . I will admit I only did brief research on line ,and couldn't find the answer,so of course I come to my faithful forum of local gun buddies for some help.

Finally because I have been working I had to call the jail and straight up ask them. They told me there is no specific policy on carry in the lobby.....so I did,and had no problem. If anyone can find information about this on line let me know.

In closing Indiana gun owners forum is a great resource for information,and just plain good reading too.

thank you for that follow up, nice to know the answer to the unknown

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    My original post still stands but

NO you can not carry into the lobby at the Marion County Jail. This is as straight an answer as I can give you.

I'm not perfect, and I do not know everything.. but I believe you're wrong. There is nothing stating you can't carry into the lobby, you just can't take it past the metal detectors. I go there quite often for work, and have been doing it for about 3 years now, i've never have had an issue.. I always carry my gun.
    Maybe It just haven't been noticed? I'm not sure. just me :twocents:

the city county building on the other hand, I'm not even allowed to take my handcuff key in with me. I always end up forgetting and I have to throw it in a potting plant out front and get it as I leave. They also have a couple of my cheap-O knives.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood

just saw this, glad you got the answer. :rockwoot:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Had a little discussion today

I'm not perfect, and I do not know everything.. but I believe you're wrong. There is nothing stating you can't carry into the lobby, you just can't take it past the metal detectors. I go there quite often for work, and have been doing it for about 3 years now, i've never have had an issue.. I always carry my gun.
    Maybe It just haven't been noticed? I'm not sure. just me :twocents:

the city county building on the other hand, I'm not even allowed to take my handcuff key in with me. I always end up forgetting and I have to throw it in a potting plant out front and get it as I leave. They also have a couple of my cheap-O knives.

I am not wrong sir. I had a little discussion with the Jail Commander today and was told that Firearms by the general public are not allowed in the lobby of the Jail.

You have been considerably lucky in not being noticed. If you are noticed, I was assured that you will be asked to leave the building.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I am not wrong sir. I had a little discussion with the Jail Commander today and was told that Firearms by the general public are not allowed in the lobby of the Jail.

You have been considerably lucky in not being noticed. If you are noticed, I was assured that you will be asked to leave the building.

That sounds right to me. As I understand, you cannot carry into a building that is, or is attached to, a courthouse, jail, or prison.

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Hey guys.....read back a couple pages....I called......they said yes.....I carried.....I didn't go to jail.....

It's leagal.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Just not catching on

I am a Deputy for the Marion County Sheriff and as I stated , I had a discussion with the Jail Commander today and it is NOT okay for you to carry into the Jail lobby. As was stated if you are caught you will be asked to leave.
    Whoever you talked to was misinformed and it is being taken care of.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I am a Deputy for the Marion County Sheriff and as I stated , I had a discussion with the Jail Commander today and it is NOT okay for you to carry into the Jail lobby. As was stated if you are caught you will be asked to leave.
    Do you know if this is law or policy?

I have no plans on visiting the jail, I'm just curious.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012

Please explain as to how it is illegal.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood

well I guess I learned something today... but I'm still goin to carry in the building as I have been for nearly 4 years, I will not walk around in that trashy part of town unarmed.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    So much for "shall not be infringed".

I too work in a government building. Despite my lifetime LTCH, I can't have a weapon in my car in the parking lot(....technically, nor a hammer, nor a saw, nor a knife with a blade longer than 1 inch, etc, etc, ad infinium et naseum).

It fascinates me that those that swear to 'protect and defend the constitution' are the first ones crushing it with their boot at every chance.

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    I even looked for signage on the front door....none...I just think police don't like anybody other than police to carry....period.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Wolfy, the "rules" for carrying a gun in Indiana vary by jurisdiction for carrying in some places. For example, in Harrison County you cannot carry a firearm into the Justice Center, but you can carry in other county administrative offices. Some counties allow you to carry in the courthouse, most don't. I would say that most of us here are well aware of what we can and can't do in our own counties, but maybe a few are unsure and they ask before breaking the rules.

I thought SB292 did away with different cities and municipalities having different "rules"

lww

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Actually, the rules don't vary by jurisdiction and county, as that would mean we do not have state preemption.
    Actually the rules can vary by jurisdiction because the state preemption law has a list of exemptions. For example, IC 35-47-11.1-4(5) allows local jurisdictions to prohibit firearms in courthouses, but does not require them to do so. So, one county might prohibit them while another does not.

--Bill

Top Bottom