• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I am considering selling my first "build" a WASR, with all the bells and whistles and ammo. Just so I can get the money for my wedding. Somebody tell me I am crazy, and talk me back from the edge.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Don't do it man! I've regretted every single firearm I've ever sold, and I haven't even sold any that I built with my own two hands!

That rifle is an heirloom; you've got two kidneys, right? That's one more than you need.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Since when can you get married for 300 bucks? If so, get a second job for 2 weeks to pay for it. Besides, weddings are all about the bride. You are just to stand there and make her look good. She needs to come up with the money, not you.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Do not do it!!!!
    I have a buddy that sold a dirt bike several years ago to buy the engagement ring. He had regrets, and the marriage did not last but a few years.
    He is out the bike and the ring, and then some.

If he would have kept the bike, at least he would have something to ride!!:D

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Don't ever sell a gun unless you just absolutely hate it. I sold a gun when I was married to my ex because she couldn't keep a job. I will never forgive myself for letting that gun go because of that lousy woman. Do not do it!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Oh, and if your finances are not in order, which, it would appear they may not be, I would urge you to do everything you possibly can to get on track BEFORE the wedding. It won't magically take care of itself after.

Enfieldno4mk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I am considering selling my first "build" a WASR, with all the bells and whistles and ammo. Just so I can get the money for my wedding. Somebody tell me I am crazy, and talk me back from the edge.

You aren't crazy yet. You only said you were considering it. Don't jump, step back off that ledge. Keep the gun. :ar15:

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    A little bitterness and some good advice here. As littletommy said if you are having to sell things to pay for the wedding your financial situation is not going to magically fix itself when you say I do. Trust me that if you sell it there will always be something that is more important than you replacing that gun. Just say no.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Why not have a cheaper wedding? I see why people want to have a huge extravagant wedding, but if you have to go in the hole to do it then I see it as pointless.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    I sold my tuba to help pay for the wedding and moving costs, etc...There isn't a day that goes by that i am not regretting selling that thing...But then again you could always build another firearm...

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Don't do it man. It's something you will subconsciously hold over her head for "ever." It will be the root of all your marital problems and will eventually lead to the end of an otherwise beautiful marrital relationship. Find the money elsewhere.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Everyone thinks you're ugly and dumb and no one likes you.

Oh, wait, I thought you said to put you down... :laugh:

How long until the wedding? You can make the sacrifice of missing a few range trips and save close to the same amount of cash, depending on your range habits...

Or just shoot the guns that eat cheaper ammo on those trips!

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I sold my tuba to help pay for the wedding and moving costs, etc...There isn't a day that goes by that i am not regretting selling that thing...But then again you could always build another firearm...

This is probably the first time I have ever heard of a tuba being involved in wedding financing...kudos to you.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    what could you "reasonably" expect to get out of your rifle? what else could you do for that amount of money? kneepads are cheap, I am sure there is a corner nearby...
    in all seriousness, the amount you could get for a rifle i know nothing about should be easier to come by through other means than putting that small "i hate her" thought you will experience every time you get into your safe.

edit: a few years ago i was headed to vegas with the lady friend, and i sold both of my pistols so i would have enough cash on hand to have a fun trip, and i have regretted it ever since. luckily i replaced my mosquito with a new one and the sigma 9mm with an m&p but it took me a couple of years and i still regret it to this day.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Since when can you get married for 300 bucks? If so, get a second job for 2 weeks to pay for it. Besides, weddings are all about the bride. You are just to stand there and make her look good. She needs to come up with the money, not you.

I would second this^^^. Also, I have a rule similar to littletommy, "Don't ever SELL a gun unless you hate it". Which is similar to my rule on women... never marry a woman if she wants you to sell your guns. :D

If this gun is special to you, and it is your first build... Do not sell it. I would look around your house and see if there is anything else of value you do not have an attachment to... a chainsaw, a toolbox, your wife's great uncle's ancient Norwegian viking helmet, your grandpa's limited edition tube of hemoroid cream (numbered 1 of 5), your pretty boy floyd autographed game worn batting glove, etc. You get the point.... If guns weren't special to you, why would you be on this site asking us to talk you down? Are you on a Chainsaw forum?.... Is your wife on a forum asking people to talk her down from selling her cat, "Peaches"?

But seriously, Just think about it. I am sure there would be a way to come up with a few hundred dollars other than selling something that means something to you. It may not be as fast and as easy as selling your WASR build, but however you come up with the cash, other than selling your gun will be worth the extra work or effort a few weeks, months, or years from now, if you don't have it.

Just think about it... make sure you make a decision you won't regret later, to satisfy the now. Good luck... I would sell the hemoroid cream.... :dunno: Is it just me??? :dunno:

Top Bottom