• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If she really loves you she will marry you without a big ceremony so you dont have to sell your gun. Tell her that, if she walks away she was never really yours in the first place.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    What? The parents of the bride are to pay for the wedding.. If they don't have the cash.. Then, go before the justice of the peace..

Your parents are supposed to spring the costs of the honey moon.. or give you the down payment to a house..

That is the way it is supposed to work right?

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I would second this^^^. Also, I have a rule similar to littletommy, "Don't ever SELL a gun unless you hate it". Which is similar to my rule on women... never marry a woman if she wants you to sell your guns. :D

If this gun is special to you, and it is your first build... Do not sell it. I would look around your house and see if there is anything else of value you do not have an attachment to... a chainsaw, a toolbox, your wife's great uncle's ancient Norwegian viking helmet, your grandpa's limited edition tube of hemoroid cream (numbered 1 of 5), your pretty boy floyd autographed game worn batting glove, etc. You get the point.... If guns weren't special to you, why would you be on this site asking us to talk you down? Are you on a Chainsaw forum?.... Is your wife on a forum asking people to talk her down from selling her cat, "Peaches"?

But seriously, Just think about it. I am sure there would be a way to come up with a few hundred dollars other than selling something that means something to you. It may not be as fast and as easy as selling your WASR build, but however you come up with the cash, other than selling your gun will be worth the extra work or effort a few weeks, months, or years from now, if you don't have it.

Just think about it... make sure you make a decision you won't regret later, to satisfy the now. Good luck... I would sell the hemoroid cream.... :dunno: Is it just me??? :dunno:

Some how i missed this..

I once was with a woman who wanted to get married, She wanted me to sell or get rid of my guns at the time.. and promise to not buy anymore.. because they are some sort of evil. kind of thing.. I told her no way..

Ironically i did sell all those guns... for much different reasons.. to buy a "better" gun.. But she was long gone by then..

If a woman doesn't like the fact I own guns, and go shooting she wasn't meant for me.. I won't keep guns a dirty little secret..

:twocents:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    As a man preparing for a wedding myself, i would ask if your groomsmen could help you out. Maybe they can loan you some extra cash. On the other hand, you can always try to pawn it, if you KNOW you will be able to get the money together in time.

My father left me two of his pistols, and no mater what financial state I may be in, those things are NEVER leaving my posession unless someone takes them from my hand or behind my back. They are more than guns, they are a connection to my late father. Your rifle may be the same for your kids some day. That would be an awesome piece to pass down for a few generations...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Keep the guns and just explain to her that though some sacrifices can and will be made in the course of your lifelong marriage that "She'll go before the guns do"
    I've been divorced 3 times so I should know.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Keep the guns and just explain to her that though some sacrifices can and will be made in the course of your lifelong marriage that "She'll go before the guns do"
    I've been divorced 3 times so I should know.

I'm just gonna have to say that in THIS particular instance, your experience does not enhance the credibility of your advice. Just sayin'.

Go with the organs -- then you can point out that she better stick with you because nobody else would want a woman with one kidney and no spleen.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm just gonna have to say that in THIS particular instance, your experience does not enhance the credibility of your advice. Just sayin'.

Go with the organs -- then you can point out that she better stick with you because nobody else would want a woman with one kidney and no spleen.
    Yea, I need to figure out that purple thingy.
    We're just saying to keep your gun and figure out something else

msteiner17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Agreed. I'm sure there is a business that may be looking for seasonal help or something... part-time gig. Try and scale the wedding down some, just elope or go to the courthouse. The statements are correct saying that the wedding is for the bride (and parents)... you're just a prop.

(married 6yrs)

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I agree that you should not sell a gun unless you really just hate it. Hopefully your future wife would understand that you want to keep something you built. I have a restoration project in boxes, 1952 Zundapp motorcycle, that I told my wife I was considering selling. Her response was, "Why do you want to do that, you will get to it sometime".

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Why not have a cheaper wedding? I see why people want to have a huge extravagant wedding, but if you have to go in the hole to do it then I see it as pointless.

^^^ This.

When my wife and I were planning our wedding it started out as some semi big to do. Then after talking and planning we figured it was just us getting married. It didn't matter if we spent thousands of dollars or hundreds of dollars. We were still going to be married after it was all said and done. We just went to the courthouse and got our license ($35), then they had a contact for a local minister($50). Less than a hundred bucks on the courthouse lawn under a shade tree with a few people and it was over. Yeah it may sound cheap and plain but hey we are still just as married as the people with the go-all-out-over-the-top-wedding.

Keep the gun. Modify your weddings plans. Do not go into debt for this, as said above, keep finances in check the whole way through. Things are just like being single, it will not just be a magic I DO and everything perfect. Bottom line keep the gun, it will be something you regret. Especially since it is your first build, you have more of a bond with it, it's some stock piece you can just go pick up at the LGS any given minute.

This is just my :twocents:.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    To answer some concerns long term our finances are not the problem I make good money and she does ok too. We are already having a fairly modest wedding, a little over 100 people with no seated dinner. Just immediate family amd close friends. But the gap in funds is as much as $3000 with and as little as a $1000 (depends on what my family covers). Wedding is Aug. 4 so $1000 wouldnt be a huge deal, $3000 would be.

Top Bottom