Can someone explain this as far as private sales are concerned?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    And I believe there is misinformation in the INGO stickys...like this one, it is not the seller's responsibility to verify, as there is no code that indicates so. If there is, please correct me.

Even if they don't tell you, it is your responsibility to verify their residency prior to the sale.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Four rules for private sales:::

1) Buyer must be an Indiana resident
    2) Buyer must be able to legally own a firearm
    3) The seller must have no reason to believe the above two are false
    4) Don't forget to get your money

With that said, as long as you have no reason to believe that the first two are false, you can sell to them. I always look at the license plate of the vehicle when driving up. It gives me an idea of where they're from and I don't have to make them feel uncomfortable by asking for proof of residency. If the plate says Indiana and they aren't acting all hanky, I have no reason to not sell.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ....and they aren't acting all hanky, I have no reason to not sell.

What's wrong with Hank?

hank-williams-hitler-espn-lg.jpg

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Theoretically, it would have to be proven in court you knew the person was ineligible. So as long as you really don't know there is probably no way that could be proven.

IANAL
    Be careful with that reasoning. There is such a thing as being so careless in checking someone out that it could constitute a crime. A pattern of gross neglict could be considered a willful violation.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I know that this may not appeal to everyone but a driver's license would prove residency, and if you really wanted a CYA type up a one page document that the buyer has to sign that where (s)he confirms that they are eligible to own a firearm. That way if it comes back later you have evidence that you acted in good faith.

If they refuse to sign it then that should be a red flag.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Be careful with that reasoning. There is such a thing as being so careless in checking someone out that it could constitute a crime. A pattern of gross neglict could be considered a willful violation.

I don't think there is such a thing. Are you absolutely certain that you didn't just make it up?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know that this may not appeal to everyone but a driver's license would prove residency, and if you really wanted a CYA type up a one page document that the buyer has to sign that where (s)he confirms that they are eligible to own a firearm. That way if it comes back later you have evidence that you acted in good faith.

A seller should make potential buyers aware of this early, posted in the WTS add. As a buyer, I need to be aware up front of steps required for the purchase beyond those legally required. I would NOT want to be surprised by this at the last minute for a private sale. That would be considered a red flag from the purchaser's perspective.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    A seller should make potential buyers aware of this early, posted in the WTS add. As a buyer, I need to be aware up front of steps required for the purchase beyond those legally required. I would NOT want to be surprised by this at the last minute for a private sale. That would be considered a red flag from the purchaser's perspective.
    That's a fair point. You're right, a lot of people don't like last minute surprises

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    don't think there is such a thing. Are you absolutely certain that you didn't just make it up?

I believe our friend is discussing fact patterns where the buyer presents his Indiana Department of Corrections card during the sale.:D

Known or should have known.

"Boy, this rifle is what the gun towers in Westville use. Ah, Westville, don't miss it at all. Worst 8 years of my life after that Burglary conviction."

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

Right. Because criminals never lie or sign a document that isn't accurate.

You know who ELSE might not sign that?? Someone who wants their privacy. Someone who, regardless of their lawfullness doesn't want to be on any lists.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Right. Because criminals never lie or sign a document that isn't accurate.
    And? If someone else provides a false statement that's on them. You're just looking to CYA

You know who ELSE might not sign that?? Someone who wants their privacy. Someone who, regardless of their lawfullness doesn't want to be on any lists.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of private enterprise. If you object take your $ elsewhere if signing a private contract is too much

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Re-reading my last post it probably came across harsher than intended (typed in haste). Maybe it's because I'm new to firearms and everything that surrounds ownership of them and the legislative framework but I am interested in knowing a little more about the resistance to the idea of someone signing a contract to cover the seller. Are there some fears that it'll find it's way to the ATF as a de-facto registry, or is there something obvious that I'm overlooking?

Top Bottom