Candidates for the best REAL pocket gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I like the no nonsense mechanics behind a wheelgun and I've always carried a regular sw 5 shot snubnose. Since the development of the Kimber K6, I have shifted to this. It has a great trigger with an extra round.

dan1856

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2017
    Fishers
    Several people mentioned the Kahr CM9 as a good pocket gun. I have to agree. I have owned mine for about 5 years and it is my go to pocket gun. I was going to sell it for a Glock 43 but no need, the Kahr works just fine for me.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I tried pocket carry and found i don't like it. Besides the fact I have most of my pockets filled with other things already. For one thing I don't like the safety issues such as reaching in and pulling it out of pocket. Ive read were several people have shot themselves or others doing just that.

Is this the reason most pocket handguns have horrible triggers? Not downing anyone that knows how to do this. It's just not for me.

Maybe a Bond Arms Derringer would fit into that role if i decided to go that route.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I'm getting pretty sweet on a .41 snub.
    It's about as pocketty as I get these days.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Galesi 25ACP.

REAL Pocket gun?

I'm sure that mathematics can tell us if .25 ACP is the answer to the REAL Pocket Gun question.

The average .25 ACP cartridge has a muzzle energy of 64.93 ft/lbs.

Let's say that your firearm is a .25 sub-compact pistol. The weight of the Galesi .25ACP pistol is 12.0 oz. empty, which is to say it weighs 5,250 grains. If you could throw it at 75 mph, which is far slower than Major League baseball pitchers throw a fast ball, that velocity works out to be 110 fps, and will yield 141.80 ft/lbs of energy on your target.

This tells us that you will have more than twice the energy on target if you just become more proficient in throwing your empty Galesi .25ACP handgun. (Please be sure to remove the ammunition from the handgun before throwing to avoid an accidental discharge... Safety first.)

.25 ACP Cartridge
    Projectile weight - 45 gr
    Projectile velocity - 804 fps
    Projectile energy - 64.93 ft/lbs

Thrown Galesi Handgun
    Projectile weight - 5250 gr
    Projectile velocity - 110 fps
    Projectile energy - 141.80 ft/lbs

Behold The Power of Mathematics!

Check it out for yourself: http://www.classifiercalc.com/misc_calcs/me.php

Safety Notice - Whether it is shot or thrown, you can still put an eye out with a .25 caliber handgun!

:):

Really. Ok, let me put all 7rds in your ear, then tell me again about ballistics.

I once shot a rabbit at approximately 10 yards with a .25. It was a good hit, right through the bread basket. No exit wound. Had to run him down to finish him. Sold it.

You should have gotten closer so you could put all 7 rounds in its ear.

:laugh:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Neat to see the old pocket gun options from 2015. Wonder if anyone is still carrying a Taurus TCP?

Anyhow, my pocket carry is my Sig P365 in a Vedder Pocket Locker.

IMG-5869.jpg

I've got a couple of pairs of cargo shorts where this is very doable...Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 Compact 40 in an Alabama pocket holster:

IMG-5871.jpg

I don't particularly care if someone suspects that there's a gun in my pocket, living in an open carry state and all.
    Plus, they'd have to pull their noses out of their cell phone to notice, so I don't have a lot to worry about with printing.

I would have to go with something a bit smaller in a non-permissive environment, but the P365 gets the nod for my front pocket the vast majority of the time when I'm leaving the house.

I know I wouldn't want 13 rounds of 9mm +P HST in my ear.

:)

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    For those of you that answered LCR or 642, what kind of holster are you using? I have a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for my LCR and it might fit in a cargo or large jacket pocket, but the bottom of the holster is too wide for a jeans pocket. I pocket carry an LCP and it fits great. I'd prefer to carry the LCR just because I shoot it better and have more (possibly misguided) trust in the reliability of a revolver over a semi, but no way is it fitting in my pants pocket.

Last edited:

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    For those of you that answered LCR or 642, what kind of holster are you using? I have a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for my LCR and it might fit in a cargo or large jacket pocket, but the bottom of the holster is too wide for a jeans pocket. I pocket carry an LCP and it fits great. I'd prefer to carry the LCR just because I shoot it better and have more (possibly misguided) trust in the reliability of a revolver over a semi, but no way is it fitting in my pants pocket.

I carry my 642 in Sticky holster. Not sure how it compares in size/thickness with a Nemesis.

https://stickyholsters.com/md-5-medium-sticky-holster.html

Last edited:

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I carry my 642 in Sticky holster. Not sure how it compares in size/thickness with a Nemesis.

https://stickyholsters.com/md-5-medium-sticky-holster.html

That's a better shape. The Nemesis holsters are really wide at the bottom. I think the idea is to keep it from rotating in your pocket. The one sized for the LCP is OK and will still fit in a pocket. The one for the LCR is larger and no way is it going in a pocket.

DSN38BJN3Z0.jpg

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    One of my fav choices is the CM9 Kahr. It is pocket sized, packs 147gr JHP 9mm, double action.

Had a really nice Kimber 380acp, but the cocked and locked hammer kept it away from my pockets, and of course had to leave safety engaged.

The Kahr is a grab and go, also have well made belt holster for IWB.

Since my Wifey got into carrying a CCW(my former 442 S&W), we also have a backup pocket gun in a Remington RM380. Has a long trigger pull, but is pretty easily hidden. Only ran a few mags through it, but seems decent. Its good to have a couple options, dress and needs vary.

In the past, my 442 wore the stock wooden factory grips, but now wears bootgrips.(Uncle Mikes). Wifey likes the choice as well. We have full size service guns, but summer and light clothing means pocket carry. Good luck in your choices.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    With the long hang time of presentation needed one might Just run from the scene than feel around your nut sack for a pea shooter. It’s Indiana. Carry substantial, Carry Secure, carry proud, and most of all Carry with a skill set. So called pocket guns are an ability driven option so be careful not to blow a hole in your Hart, Schafner and Marx. IMHO

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are times when I can have a firing grip on the pocket pistol while still in the pocket and could get it into action far, far quicker than anything I’d be carrying on the belt. It’s a 9mm, so while not the greatest, it’s not awful either. The pocket pistol is made for those times when you are out and about in a carry unfriendly location, yet still want to carry.

Top Bottom