• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    If there is still room add 2 more for myself and the Mrs.
    I think this is a great idea and you should be commended for under taking the organization of a group event, that is never easy, so thanks in advance!

"The lady giving the class seems very nice and I was thinking of getting her a gift card to one of the steak restraunts near by if anyone wanted to chip in it would be nice."

Count us in on a gift card donation, PM me an address where we can send a donation.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have been canning for a few years, if any in the Ft. Wayne area needs a lesson let me know. I will show you how to use your equipment.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    If there is still room add 2 more for myself and the Mrs.
    I think this is a great idea and you should be commended for under taking the organization of a group event, that is never easy, so thanks in advance!

"The lady giving the class seems very nice and I was thinking of getting her a gift card to one of the steak restraunts near by if anyone wanted to chip in it would be nice."

Count us in on a gift card donation, PM me an address where we can send a donation.
    Added you to the list :) any donation could just be given that day. Thanks for the support.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    As odd as it maybe I am always up for free advice as is wifey so count us in. I too grew up on a farm and we canned when I was young but as times changed and life took over we stopped doing it. Wifey and I tried jam this year and f'ed it up. What do we need to bring? We have most if the items so it shouldn't cost us anything.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Just a thought
    Check the farm stores TSC Fleet & Farm etc. for supplies
    Canning supplies are out of season but you may still find some.
    Also check some of the Amish stores I know there are Amish all over the state
    I suggested a few people go to E&S sales in shipshewanna if they were attending the gunshow there
    they sell in bulk.

Farmritch

Also Walmart sells alot of stuff. We got most of our stuff at Rural King.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    As odd as it maybe I am always up for free advice as is wifey so count us in. I too grew up on a farm and we canned when I was young but as times changed and life took over we stopped doing it. Wifey and I tried jam this year and f'ed it up. What do we need to bring? We have most if the items so it shouldn't cost us anything.
    You do not need to bring anything :) I also tried jam last year and it makes really good pancake syrup lol.This will be mainly dedicated to pressure canning.Added you to the list.

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    If anyone in the Terre Haute area wants lessons, Mr. and I were discussing doing monthly classes. The classes would be longer than two hours, but we would be doing a full pressure canning cycle.

Here is what we've discussed:

$50 per class.
    Waiver signed.
    Doing actual canning.
    Each person sent home with a canned item. (Main reason for a limit of 7 per class.)
    Each person sent home with a Blue Ball canning book.
    Each person sent home with having physically gone through the steps of pressure canning.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County

I am sure we could help some with that. I hope she isn't a vegetarian or worse...vegan. LMAO

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Everything is now set in stone :) There is still room in the class. Linda(the instructor through the annex office)does have the ability to test pressure gauges.If you do happen to have a pressure canner with a dial gauge she can test them and make any adjustments that are needed.She told me this morning that if anyone wants one tested to just bring the entire lid.She also recommends a pencil/pen and notebook for the class. She will be handing out some material as well.If anyone else would like to join please do.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    It will be done at Hopewell school off of 144 just west of Franklin.She is checking on class room avalablity and has set a date of January 20th at 6:30 pm. The pm was by my request and is well past normal hours for her,but she understood that most could not make a day class.The class runs aproxamatly 2 hours.All those interested please post here.I doubt more than 40 would want to attend,but I could be wrong so just in case the first 38 who sign up get in(the other 2 being myself and grumpe of course :) The lady giving the class seems very nice and I was thinking of getting her a gift card to one of the steak restraunts near by if anyone wanted to chip in it would be nice..

Hello, Smokingman.

Is the class still set for Jan 20? I browsed through the thread and did not find any other dates mentioned.

If it has been changed, count me in. Otherwise, I will be at the hospital on the 20th with my Mom while Dad gets his hip replaced, weather permitting. (dad said he always wished he was more hip....:rolleyes: )

Bob

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    If there is room, count me in, it sounds like a lot of fun and a chance to met some of ya'll, can I bring the wife? It helps when I get her on board!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The class is tonight :) I am looking forward to meeting everyone! I will be there around 30 min early. Anyone else who wants to join us feel free to,currently the class is only half full(18 people I think),so if you have time and would like to come please do.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The class is tonight :) I am looking forward to meeting everyone! I will be there around 30 min early. Anyone else who wants to join us feel free to,currently the class is only half full(18 people I think),so if you have time and would like to come please do.

I'd love to be in attendance but varying factors are working against me. Thanks for organizing this class and giving an opportunity to many to participate in a worthwhile endeavor. Is it possible that this class could be video taped and maybe saved for future reference?

Top Bottom