• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'm just wondering if I'm the only one. Sure, I like to browse the Classifieds (and shake my head at the asking prices ... but that's another post) ... but I just cant seem to bring myself to buy a used gun. The stated round count is probably almost always a farce, and who knows if the seller has fiddle farted around with the guts of the gun. The only way I'd buy used was if it were an antique. Am I alone?

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    most people don't fire enough rounds through them to really even break them in. I know guys that will own a gun for years and put 200-300 rounds through it tops. If the price is right, I'm all over it.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Personally I almost prefer older used guns over newer ones. If for no other reason because of the easier trigger & slide pulls. I prefer the older guns because sometimes they seem more solidly built than the newer ones.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Too many good deals to be found in used guns to not be open to buying them. And too many great guns no longer in production that are unobtainable except as used. I'd hate to have to pass on all those guns...

812guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Columbus Indiana
    If the price is right I buy them all the time. I will not buy used when new is 50 to 100 more. I have a glock 22 that was a police issued gun that im sure had alot of rounds put thru it but the price was right.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I'd have to agree with 42769vette's statement about being in the minority.

I have bought, sold, and traded many different guns. I have traded some new guns for used guns and traded some used guns for new guns.

For me it is just having one "good" solid gun for personal protection and carry and the rest are for personal enjoyment. Yes I have gotten some lemons; that is just life.

I have also seen reports of individuals that have bought new guns and had serious issues with them right out of the box. I am not referring to off-brand guns either.

In either case, just buy'em, shoot'em, trade'em and have fun with a hobby that many will never understand.

Frontier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    I'm with you, but it depends on the gun. I bought my pistols all new, refused to buy anything used. However I'm looking for a pump action right now and would buy it used. I also like collecting WWI and II rifles, but those things are darn near impossible to find unused!!!

I can't get over it when I see posts on armslist or gunbroker that say (usually in all caps) "I bought this gun and never fired it"

In all caps and with spelling errors (for realistic effect):

I BOUHGT IT NEW AND NEVER FIIRED IT THE LAST GUY WAS THE SMAE

Oh really? So you mean to tell me you bought a gun and never used it?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I buy used guns, but if you are not comfortable buying used guns you certainly should not. A gun is a life-defense tool and you must be confident that it will work.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I won't usually pay much attention to a used gun if it is dirty. I don't mean been fired and not cleaned dirty. I mean sit on the car floor boards for a month dirty. I just feel like a dirty gun is an unloved gun and less likely to have been well cared for.

Of course for the right price and the right gun I would definitely consider a dirty gun if it is just surface dirt and not obvious abuse.

Dirty guns is one of my biggest complaints with gun stores & gun shows. I'm not afraid of cooties but a gun will have to be real cheap or special for me to touch it if it looks sticky.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    My Sig and Glock were both used. I carry the Glock, and used to carry the Sig. All my other guns were new. Interesting how my EDCs were used when I bought them. I did get my PF9 new, though. Just make sure you can check the gun first.

Hell, I've purchased new guns that didn't work.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I'm just wondering if I'm the only one. Sure, I like to browse the Classifieds (and shake my head at the asking prices ... but that's another post) ... but I just cant seem to bring myself to buy a used gun. The stated round count is probably almost always a farce, and who knows if the seller has fiddle farted around with the guts of the gun. The only way I'd buy used was if it were an antique. Am I alone?

You are not the only one. I have nothing against used guns (or cars), but it seems that I typically buy new after looking at lots of used ones!
    :dunno:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    There are indeed lots of folks who buy a new gun and never fire it for whatever reason.
    Then there are the used guns that a guy buys new on a whim, takes it out to the range one time, and decides he doesn't like it. Possibly having less than a box of shells run through it.

I've bought one used gun, Ruger GP100. When I got it, I was very hard pressed to find any indication it had ever been fired. It was flawless.

Most used police guns are not fired much, just will have some holster wear.

You are missing out on some neat toys. :)
    I know of a guy that has bought several used and most of them appeared to have been fired very little if at all.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    There's another train of thought. I have a few used guns, but I use those as practice for tinkering with, tweaking, sizing parts, trying new mods and other things that might damage my more expensive guns. Once I know I've worked out the kinks in the process, I will then do those mods on the guns that count. Having used guns to play with is like having old PCs around to install software on that you're not sure about.

I'm working on a cheap $400 1911 right now whose grip safety doesn't work (it fires whether it's depressed or not). Love tinkering with them.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have heard this before and fail to see any reasoning for it.

You do realize that every single gun that has ever won a target match was used when it won, right?

Every single gun that hit and killed the enemy in combat was used when it was fired, right?

I doubt that very many people have used a firearm for its intended purpose without ever having put a round through it.

Let us presume you purchase a firearm for home defense. Then you take it to the range to sight it in. After the first round it becomes "used", so do we then no longer depend upon it for home defense?

That said, if the firearm was NOT well taken care of, or abused that is another story.

The mechanics of a modern firearm are pretty basic. Good ammo combined with good working parts combined with a smooth fit combined with excellent rifling makes for a consistently dependable firearm.

I think the idea of a "used" firearm being a "bad" firearm is just a salespitch from someone hoping you don't use common sense.

As for me, I love all of my used, marked, and beautiful military surplus rifles. Feel free to send me any used firearms you no longer need. I will find a fine place for them.

Just my :twocents:.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:
    Top Bottom