• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    A lot of people recommend not carrying a pistol until you've put 500 rounds of whatever and 100 rounds of your good defense carry ammo through it. I've always put at least 100 rounds through all of mine before I felt comfortable. Most good handguns will just be considered broken in good with 1-2k through them. Check to see if the previous owner(s) has kept it clean and see if there is anything obviously wrong with it (heavily scuffed, dirty inside, hard to go into battery for a semi auto.)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I wish more people would only buy new guns. That would leave all those old beautiful masterpieces for me! Some of the best guns ever made were built in the 50's-60's and just can't be compared to guns made today. Also some great guns are just not produced anymore. Keep buyin the new stuff boys!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    After inspection, purchased many "used, but not abused firearms." If they have been cleaned, you can tell, no rounded screw heads, (from disassembly, and wrong tools being used), Light oil on slides, barrel w/no bulges. Original box and manual are a big plus. Sometimes a holster will go along, or ammo. To most sportsmen they are part of going out, cleaning is a part of ownership they are proud of.

Over 25 yrs of owning handguns, maybe 2 or 3 that had issues. Some had problems out of the box.(in 1989, owned a S&W M66 4in, cylinder would bind after firing. Factory repaired free, under warranty, but took 2 months to get back! Had a M10 4in,(dated from 1974) as a back up, and pressed into duty as my Service Revolver. New does not mean" fault free". Show me your used treasures.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I used to have a mental problem with buying used guns...kind of still do. However, I did just buy a used pistol, the price was right, and I knew the prev owner took care of it because I know him personally. There is just something in my mind that makes me want to buy a shiny new gun instead of a used one.

With a baby on the way though, I will be looking at more used guns over new ones now.

INcountryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Connersville
    Used guns are great.......if you properly inspect them and the price is right. Some of the best guns that I have bought have been at auctions. Personally, I don't care about round counts either.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    If you buy a used gun and the manufacturer has a liftetime warranty you can't hardly go wrong. I purchased a used Taurus from a dealer and it wouldn't fire. I sent it to Taurus and they fixed it. It came back like new and they threw in an extra clip for it.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I won't usually pay much attention to a used gun if it is dirty. I don't mean been fired and not cleaned dirty. I mean sit on the car floor boards for a month dirty. I just feel like a dirty gun is an unloved gun and less likely to have been well cared for.

Of course for the right price and the right gun I would definitely consider a dirty gun if it is just surface dirt and not obvious abuse.

Dirty guns is one of my biggest complaints with gun stores & gun shows. I'm not afraid of cooties but a gun will have to be real cheap or special for me to touch it if it looks sticky.

I'm with you, but it depends on the gun. I bought my pistols all new, refused to buy anything used. However I'm looking for a pump action right now and would buy it used. I also like collecting WWI and II rifles, but those things are darn near impossible to find unused!!!

I can't get over it when I see posts on armslist or gunbroker that say (usually in all caps) "I bought this gun and never fired it"

In all caps and with spelling errors (for realistic effect):

I BOUHGT IT NEW AND NEVER FIIRED IT THE LAST GUY WAS THE SMAE

Oh really? So you mean to tell me you bought a gun and never used it?

I have bought several guns new, never shot them, and then sold them or traded them when I ran across something I liked better, or at least thought that I liked better. Right now I am sitting on an unfired, except for at the factory, Walther PPQ that I bought on a whim. May keep it, may sell it. Not sure yet.

A couple of them were sold right on here at INGO.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I buy both new and used, but more used. If you check them properly you can usually spot problems. If you spot a problem, thats not all bad either, if you still want the firearm, get for cheap.

Dave

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Well, I kind of feel the same way as the OP. But in my case it's mostly due to inexperience. I would have literally NO idea what to look for to know if it's been taken care of really well or just completely neglected.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I want the used gun the owner doesn't want to sell. That tells you something. No, really, I've bought several "used", some I swear you couldn't tell from new. Got a 92FS that was mint. A few milsurp, whatnot. Never had a "new" woman, but they've all done me well, in their way. Yeah, I went there.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Very interesting and thoughful comments (for the most part, except for those who assured me that I was alone in my adversion to used guns). Anyway, I think I've been converted. But the only way I'd buy used is if it were substantially cheaper than new. I'd say it'd have to be a price difference of greater than 100 dollars for me to go used. Maybe I'm just the Howie Mandel of handgun enthusiasts. I may need psychiatric help.

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    If you buy a used gun and the manufacturer has a liftetime warranty you can't hardly go wrong. I purchased a used Taurus from a dealer and it wouldn't fire. I sent it to Taurus and they fixed it. It came back like new and they threw in an extra clip for it.
    A guy at the trap club bought a used Browning O/U. When he closed it once it fired. Of course he stopped using it right away, called Browning, and mailed it in. Browning repaired it for free because of a lifetime warranty and there had been no modifications to the shotgun. He is still using it and because of this I bought a used Browning O/U without fear. I also have quite a few other used but not abused guns with no isssues at all.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I've sold guns I never shot for a $ loss. Someone got a great deal. I have no problem buying used guns. This is a hobby and when you gotta have something your willing to make a stupid move to get it.

Top Bottom