• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I had a GMC Acadia once. Worst car I ever had. Stupid expensive to maintain, and trans went out at 125k miles, costing me around $3000 for a rebuilt one. I've heard horror stories from almost every Acadia owner I've talked to. Good luck.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You, guys, don't even want to hear from me .....

Aug., of 2004 I bought a Brand New,

2005 Dodge Caravan 3.3 L engine .....

At one point, I worked for Now Courier,

I put 100,000 miles a year on it ..... for 2 years .....

In the end, electrical problems, ended its life .....

AFTER 10 years, and 350,000 miles .....

NEVER had any major engine work .....

NEVER had the transmission, out of it .....

For the first 100,000 miles, went to the dealer, for all scheduled MAINTENANCE,

After that I took over the oil changes , brakes, etc.....

I still followed the Mfg., recommended maintenance .....

Back to the Dealer, at 30,000, 50,000, and 75,000 miles .....

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    GunWorks, Ford is absolutely killing it right now. I know a few people who have the explorers, and they love them. Based off what you're looking for, I'd say you should start heavily looking into the Explorers. Depending on what year you're looking at, I'd recommend the turbo charged 4 banger. They're insanely fun, and you'll get better gas mileage

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We're all just having fun here.

Personally, I'm a fan of the 5.3L. My old Silverado has been one super-reliable beast of burden.

I might have traded off my 04 GMC Sierra except for the near bullet proof drive train in it. I wrecked the transfer case of my own doing so replacing it was on me. The 5.3 does a great job no matter what I have asked of it and we have asked a lot since buying it near new. 136K on the clock so looking for many more miles out of it.

As to what you are looking for my warped little brain says Yukon. Used with reasonable miles they can be found for the right money. But that is just me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a GMC Acadia once. Worst car I ever had. Stupid expensive to maintain, and trans went out at 125k miles, costing me around $3000 for a rebuilt one. I've heard horror stories from almost every Acadia owner I've talked to. Good luck.

BIL had this same issue with his. At 80K

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The LS based motors are definitely workhorses; two years ago I brought my dad's two trucks up from Oklahoma. One was an 07 chevy 1/2 ton long bed extended cab and the other was a 90 ranger. I decided to dolly the ranger back behind the chevy instead of driving them both back and knew that there was enough juice under the hood that we should be able to comfortably do it. I was a little concerned the morning we left to come home as I realized the 5.3 under the hood was actually a 4.8. I voiced my concerns but told the GF that the biggest impact would be that we wouldn't be getting home as quickly as I'd originally thought.

That concern quickly left me though as we hit the interstate and found that even the "little" 4.8 handled whatever the route threw at it with ease!

Just remember that it doesn't matter what the emblem on the grill is, somewhere somebody has a horror story.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I feel like you're taking a stab in the dark on any modern vehicle. They're all massively complex and it doesn't matter what manufacturer you have they will all be horribly expensive to do anything other than basic repairs (fluids, brakes, tires).

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I can't believe nobody has suggested a JEEP Cherokee. My wife just bought one seems nice only gets about 22mpg.
    Price was great less than 25k for 4x4 and a bunch of crap.
    Much better than her BMW X5 I am surprised how terrible that thing was.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    How about a Toyota 4Runner. You can get them with a 3rd row seat and they are pretty bulletproof. They hold their value insanely as well.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    jeep is owned by dodge and chrysler, and I will not support that company ever again.

Actually all chrysler products are owned by Fiat and even they are looking to get out from owning them.
    As someone who works on cars for a living(rebuilding transmissions) the gms with the fwd 6 spd trans are garbage. They break a wave plate for the 3-5- reverse ckutch pack and if it gets driven to long the pieces tear up the trans. Gm version is a 6T70E. There are several versions of it 6T40/45E. They also have known trans control module issues. The Ford version of this trans 6F50 is by far better. Since these 2 comparable units have come out the Ford version is by far better. Ford used a hardened wave plate and i have yet to have one come in my shop with a broken wave plate.

As far as the foreign options, if you think 3k is bad to replace/rebuild a trans, be prepared for 5k and even more at times.
    Stay away from anything that has a CVT(continuously variable transmission) very very salty to fix

Me, im a ford guy. Buy an explorer!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    So am I.

Gas mileage is a little low for what Indy wants, does have plenty of seating room though.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Actually all chrysler products are owned by Fiat and even they are looking to get out from owning them.
    As someone who works on cars for a living(rebuilding transmissions) the gms with the fwd 6 spd trans are garbage. They break a wave plate for the 3-5- reverse ckutch pack and if it gets driven to long the pieces tear up the trans. Gm version is a 6T70E. There are several versions of it 6T40/45E. They also have known trans control module issues. The Ford version of this trans 6F50 is by far better. Since these 2 comparable units have come out the Ford version is by far better. Ford used a hardened wave plate and i have yet to have one come in my shop with a broken wave plate.

As far as the foreign options, if you think 3k is bad to replace/rebuild a trans, be prepared for 5k and even more at times.
    Stay away from anything that has a CVT(continuously variable transmission) very very salty to fix

Me, im a ford guy. Buy an explorer!
    Any idea if the new 9 speed fwd and 10 speed rwd transmissions from GM and Ford will be any better. I was just reading about how they co-developed the last generation transmissions and did it again for the next gen.

Top Bottom