• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    As a guy who works on vehicles for a living, i will say your two original choices are pretty solid. The Pilot or the Explorer will be solid vehicles. And whoever said it doesn't matter what the grille emblem says, they're right.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    How about a Toyota 4Runner. You can get them with a 3rd row seat and they are pretty bulletproof. They hold their value insanely as well.
    I was unaware the 4runner offered third row seating. If this is the case, you REALLY need to consider this one as well Indy. I know quite a few 4runner owners, and they have nothing bad to say about them. If you don't mind a true SUV (4.0 V6 on a 5 speed), and the gas mileage that comes along with it, you can't go wrong with a 4runner

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Any idea if the new 9 speed fwd and 10 speed rwd transmissions from GM and Ford will be any better. I was just reading about how they co-developed the last generation transmissions and did it again for the next gen.

To new for me to tell
    I typically dont see them for about 3-5 years after something new comes out as i work at an independent shop. I would probably say stay away from at least the first year model with the new trans. Sometimes theres some bugs that need to be worked out

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Pick any jap auto you like and you will be fine. Sad to say but true.

Do a Google search of "Toyota coolant transmission fluid mixing"
    Now do the same with Nissan.

Now do "Toyota oil line recall"

Now check for CVT transmission recalls. And Power Steering pump recalls. And differential oil leaks.

and report back.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Do a Google search of "Toyota coolant transmission fluid mixing"
    Now do the same with Nissan.

Now do "Toyota oil line recall"

Now check for CVT transmission recalls. And Power Steering pump recalls. And differential oil leaks.

and report back.

Amen to that. Add all that with the huge expense involved with repairing foreign cars. Thats why I personally stay away and will never recommend foreign cars.
    I worked as a tech for Ford for a lot of years and having to do warranty work really sucked. Doing a lot of reasearch on cars i worked on i came to the conclusion that the old addage of dont buy a car built on a monday or friday rings true. Now ive never bought a brand new vehicle, but i do know if i ever do i will make darn certain it wasn't built on either of those days

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There is real virtue in buying the highest volume vehicles sold in their category that remain that way for years and years. Factory and aftermarket part competition, availability and value is a huge factor.
    Does Amazon have available two day parts for your car?
    Ebay have new parts dirt cheap w/free shipping?

Another often overlooked area when vehicle shopping is how much information is out there for the top sellers year to year vs obscure unique models. Well worth a Google search for common problems while you are researching your specific model year on potential buys.

***Note - Even some big name top sellers have model years that are worse than others for various issues. This often happens when that model year is the first of a major design change. ***

Notice how many forums (also membership size) on your specific vehicle there are. The same with YouTube videos. Pages and pages of results vs one or two?

To the OP's question; I'm only guessing here, but I think the Explorer will be much much more user friendly than the Honda in the above areas. Maybe I'm wrong? :dunno:

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Over the years I've owned dozens of cars. The biggest problems were Chrysler products. The least (actually non existent) problem cars were Hondas and a Mazda. I bought three new Hondas. The 99 CRV my grandson drives, problem free since new. The '07 Accord another grandson drives, no problems since new. The third one, a '14 Accord I drive. Zero problems since new. Also have an '11 Mazda, one recall, that's it.

Bought a '92 Chrysler Concorde new. On day two, driving along, the windshield spontaneously cracked. (no other cars around to throw stones) Had the car four months and drove it to FL. While down there the trans went on me. It only drove properly at high speed. Other than that it sputtered off the highway. That was a fun trip home. The car went through three transmissions. Took the grandkids to the zoo on a hot day, the AC quit. On a trip and water leaked on the floor in passenger area (AC). I traded it off before the warranty ran out.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There's been a LOT of talk in this thread and elsewhere about the wonderful reliability of Hondas so I'll add my 2 cents. The GF bought a new Civic in '06 and since then I've had to replace the wiper motor because she left them on and mid windshield the night of an ice storm so they were frozen to the windshield the next morning causing damage to the motor when they tried to park when she started the car. THEN just this morning I had to replace the window felt on the inside of the drivers door because the old one had come loose and was causing the window to jam when rolling it down.

I told her that I was tired of having to work on HER car every 5 or 6 years and the NEXT time it happens she better find another car or a different mechanic!!:xmad:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I was unaware the 4runner offered third row seating. If this is the case, you REALLY need to consider this one as well Indy. I know quite a few 4runner owners, and they have nothing bad to say about them. If you don't mind a true SUV (4.0 V6 on a 5 speed), and the gas mileage that comes along with it, you can't go wrong with a 4runner

They don't all come with 3rd row but it is an option. They fold flat in the rear cargo area. You lose a "little" space compare to the standard 5 seat setup.
    I had one, it's 2 additional seats and they are hard to access just due to the nature of the design.
    You have to crawl over the regular back seats as they don't move very far forward. You don't want to be back there as an adult. Kids are fine with it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Lmao

A Traverse is the same thing as a Acadia

Maybe you should try a Buick Enclave...

Hah! True . . . but a newer model Acadia/Traverse/Enclave/Cadillac whatever it's called might be different than his 2011 Acadia.

There is real virtue in buying the highest volume vehicles sold in their category that remain that way for years and years. Factory and aftermarket part competition, availability and value is a huge factor.
    Does Amazon have available two day parts for your car?
    Ebay have new parts dirt cheap w/free shipping?

Good point!

Some may know that I recently acquired a 2014 Traverse. A little over 3000 miles later, I still love it. Seeing the horror stories, I am glad that 1) I have a lifetime drive train warranty, and 2) there are a metric butt-tonne load of Traverses/Adadias/Enclaves on the road.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobi...orts-gave-the-never-buy-label.html/?a=viewall

Do you want a USABLE third row in a SUV? Be prepared to spend big bucks.

The third row in an Explorer is tight. Very tight. And if the 3rd row is being used - there's almost zero storage room. That's the same issue with the overwhelming majority of the non-truck based 3-row SUVs.

We have several Explorers for work. They're big. You have to climb up and over the floor/door sills to get in - and you sit far away from the door towards the center of the vehicle. May not matter to some - but I like to rest my left arm on the door arm rest - and can't in the Explorers due to how far away I am. And I'm not a small guy. They also have SMALL fuel tanks and have pretty poor fuel mileage. That's not a great combination. I'm not sure if the turbo 4 cyl engines are better or worse than the naturally aspirated V-6s that we have - but I can't imagine they're worse. BUT, again, they're big vehicles. A Turbo-4 will be working pretty hard to move that vehicle around.

To my knowledge, we haven't had any real major mechanical issues with any of them (did I mention we have several?) We've had brake issues (rotors sticking) on at least one, but I think that's been about it that I can think of.

They ride/drive quite nicely, IMO, too. Viability seems to be pretty good unless you want to look behind you and to the L to change lanes. That part sucks. HUGE A-pillars, too.

Unless you can find a fleet-spec stripped down model - be prepared to pay a pretty penny on an Explorer, too.

The best advice that I can give: Swallow the pride, be-gone with the vanity, and buy a 1-2 year old Kia Sedona minivan. They're cheaper, massive amounts of storage space, seating for up to 8 (depending on model) AND you can get a week's worth of luggage for 4 people behind the third row seats.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    GunWorks, Ford is absolutely killing it right now.
    If by "killing it" you mean killing transmission on nearly new vehicles then you nailed it. Go to your local transmission shop. It seems any transmission co-developed with Ford or developed exclusively by Ford is extremely problematic. The local Sheriff's Dept has a little Ford wagon thing that they use for inmate transport. When I was in at the trans shop getting some advice on a trans rebuild I was doing that thing was in there for it's 5th rebuild, on a 3 year old vehicle.

Any idea if the new 9 speed fwd and 10 speed rwd transmissions from GM and Ford will be any better. I was just reading about how they co-developed the last generation transmissions and did it again for the next gen.
    This is truly a great example of the law of diminishing returns. CAFE standards are pushing manufactures to squeeze every fraction of MPG they can, so they've resorted to these ridiculous transmissions to squeeze another half mpg out of them. The problem is that they are extremely complex, super expensive, and $$$$$ to repair if/when there is a problem. I would be wary of any emerging transmission technology for the foreseeable future.

This ^^^^ 3rd row in an Explorer isn't any different than the 3rd row in the OPs Acadia (or my Enclave). Having grown up riding around in a Suburban, I absolutely HATE the unusable 3rd row in the Enclave.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Couldnt disagree more with countryboy19's beginning statement

Not sure where you work or if you are in the transmission industry, but from what i see where i work, have been rebuilding transmissions for over 20 years, Ford transmissions are far better than either Chrysler or Chevy. I, as 1 person, rebuild roughly 180 to 200 transmissions per year. Chrysler and chevy take up about 75% of those rebuilds, with everything else taking up the remainder. And yes i keep track of what units i build and how many of each. Every manufacturer has some faults but after working on transmissions for as long as i have, id take Ford any day of the week. I cannot speak of the new transmissions however as they are just coming out and at an independent shop have not had experiences as of yet, but if past track records say anything, I'll stick with Ford
    As far as a 5th rebuild in 3 years, i definitely wouldnt be taking anything to that shop for trans work, cause they obviously dont know what they're doing.
    Where i work we offer a lifetime warranty, so we upgrade and do things right the first time

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobi...orts-gave-the-never-buy-label.html/?a=viewall

The third row in an Explorer is tight. Very tight. And if the 3rd row is being used - there's almost zero storage room. That's the same issue with the overwhelming majority of the non-truck based 3-row SUVs.

We have several Explorers for work. They're big. You have to climb up and over the floor/door sills to get in - and you sit far away from the door towards the center of the vehicle. May not matter to some - but I like to rest my left arm on the door arm rest - and can't in the Explorers due to how far away I am. And I'm not a small guy. They also have SMALL fuel tanks and have pretty poor fuel mileage. That's not a great combination. I'm not sure if the turbo 4 cyl engines are better or worse than the naturally aspirated V-6s that we have - but I can't imagine they're worse. BUT, again, they're big vehicles. A Turbo-4 will be working pretty hard to move that vehicle around.

To my knowledge, we haven't had any real major mechanical issues with any of them (did I mention we have several?) We've had brake issues (rotors sticking) on at least one, but I think that's been about it that I can think of.

They ride/drive quite nicely, IMO, too. Viability seems to be pretty good unless you want to look behind you and to the L to change lanes. That part sucks. HUGE A-pillars, too.

Unless you can find a fleet-spec stripped down model - be prepared to pay a pretty penny on an Explorer, too.

The best advice that I can give: Swallow the pride, be-gone with the vanity, and buy a 1-2 year old Kia Sedona minivan. They're cheaper, massive amounts of storage space, seating for up to 8 (depending on model) AND you can get a week's worth of luggage for 4 people behind the third row seats.

Wife's 3/4ton Yukon XL has a nice 3rd row and still 4-5ft behind it with the seats being used as well as a 39 gallon fuel tank.

But it gets 12mpg so there is that...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Couldnt disagree more with countryboy19's beginning statement

Not sure where you work or if you are in the transmission industry, but from what i see where i work, have been rebuilding transmissions for over 20 years, Ford transmissions are far better than either Chrysler or Chevy. I, as 1 person, rebuild roughly 180 to 200 transmissions per year. Chrysler and chevy take up about 75% of those rebuilds, with everything else taking up the remainder. And yes i keep track of what units i build and how many of each. Every manufacturer has some faults but after working on transmissions for as long as i have, id take Ford any day of the week. I cannot speak of the new transmissions however as they are just coming out and at an independent shop have not had experiences as of yet, but if past track records say anything, I'll stick with Ford
    As far as a 5th rebuild in 3 years, i definitely wouldnt be taking anything to that shop for trans work, cause they obviously dont know what they're doing.
    Where i work we offer a lifetime warranty, so we upgrade and do things right the first time

FWIW, I'm talking late model years. As in the last 3-4 years. They may have been great at transmissions at one time but they've sunken to a level that is lower than Chrysler IMHO.

The shop has been doing transmissions for a long time and they have a 6 month+ wait to get a transmission done. I think it's short-sighted of you to make a judgement of their quality of work based upon the need to do repeat repairs without even considering it could be a faulty design.

Either way, I really don't care, I'm relaying my experience to the OP; he knows me, I'm sure he trusts my opinion.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    FWIW, I'm talking late model years. As in the last 3-4 years. They may have been great at transmissions at one time but they've sunken to a level that is lower than Chrysler IMHO.

The shop has been doing transmissions for a long time and they have a 6 month+ wait to get a transmission done. I think it's short-sighted of you to make a judgement of their quality of work based upon the need to do repeat repairs without even considering it could be a faulty design.

Either way, I really don't care, I'm relaying my experience to the OP; he knows me, I'm sure he trusts my opinion.

Not sure why they cant fix a faulty design as there are plenty of aftermarket/upgraded parts to fix every transmission out there and make them better than factory. Its just my personal opinion, and wasn't directing anything negative towards you. I've been rebuilding transmissions/differentials/ transfer cases for a long time now and feel i have a pretty good idea whats out there to fix known issues. Like i said in previous post, we offer a lifetime warranty on our rebuilds and if there wasn't a way to upgrade these units we couldn't/wouldn't be able to do that. If you cant get an issue resolved after 2 or 3 rebuilds i think its time to replace the casing as there has been instances in my career where there is a cross bleed within the case itself that you just cant physically see. I've just been giving my 2 cents as per my experiences in the industry, what the op does with that is totally up to him.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not sure why they cant fix a faulty design as there are plenty of aftermarket/upgraded parts to fix every transmission out there and make them better than factory. Its just my personal opinion, and wasn't directing anything negative towards you. I've been rebuilding transmissions/differentials/ transfer cases for a long time now and feel i have a pretty good idea whats out there to fix known issues. Like i said in previous post, we offer a lifetime warranty on our rebuilds and if there wasn't a way to upgrade these units we couldn't/wouldn't be able to do that. If you cant get an issue resolved after 2 or 3 rebuilds i think its time to replace the casing as there has been instances in my career where there is a cross bleed within the case itself that you just cant physically see. I've just been giving my 2 cents as per my experiences in the industry, what the op does with that is totally up to him.

How many late-model Subarus have you worked on? Any? How about Camry, Altima, or Accords? (guessing probably not many Subaru or Altima because those are CVTs and are a whole other animal)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Couple of friends of ours have 4-Runners. They are nice. Very reliable. My 6 foot son can be folded up to ride in the 3rd row for short trips.:D

But they both ride like crap.

My daughter has a Sequoia. Much bigger, but much more comfortable. Nice ride. Doesn't "feel" as big as it is when you are driving it. Of course it gets about 4MPG less than the 4-Runners.:dunno:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Keep the info coming. I am still leaning towards the explorer, but want to at least test drive the pilot.

Do any of these come with a manual transmission? If yes, would that help alleviate one of my/our major concerns?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Keep the info coming. I am still leaning towards the explorer, but want to at least test drive the pilot.

Do any of these come with a manual transmission? If yes, would that help alleviate one of my/our major concerns?

Manuals are rare these days. I doubt the pilot was ever available with a manual. Explorers, maybe the early ones were. 4-Runners have been in the recent past. Not sure if they still are.:dunno:

Top Bottom