Car kit essential items? Show us what's in your trunk INGO!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Bibs, coat, boots, shovel and a big ole 6D Maglight underneath.

Jumpers, various tools, spare light bulbs, old Ka-Bar USMC

Frogg Toggs, ski goggles, metric allen wrenches. It's an Audi. You can't do anything to it without metric allen wrenches.

These little Nite-Ize figure 9 things are really handy for keeping stuff from flying around back there.:yesway:

See, I told ya. NO dead hookers.:whistle:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Bumping this old thread.

I'm going through my car kit and getting ready for a road trip.

I got to use some of the stuff in my kit since I made this thread (tow rope while offroading, jumper cables, changed people's tires etc).

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    How do you all keep water from freezing in the winter?

I keep mine in a small portable cooler which holds about 24 plastic bottles of water. Helps keep it cool in the summer also. Car is garaged when at home, but I do about 125+ nights a year in hotels where the car sits out in hot and cold weather. I have never had a bottle burst in the cooler. I have had a few freeze up when opened when it was below 10 for a few days in a row.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Carrying extra gas. I think it's a good idea say 1 or 2 gallon can. However, is there such a thing as a fumeless gas can? Right now I'm not carrying any because I've tested a few and they still stink the car up.
    If you know of one that actually works post it and where you bought it please.

☆Odorless candles. I found some at dollar tree that burn for over 60 hours each. Tested them. Cost $1 each.
    ☆Jumper cables
    ☆Survival blanket 2.0 for everyone in family just in case.
    ☆Grill lighter a good reliable one. Light candles for heat in car if broken down in extreme cold or blizzard.
    ☆Leather gloves
    ☆Good brand duct tape
    ☆2x16.9oz bottles of water per family member.
    ☆30g Protein bars 3 for each family member.
    ☆Extra box of ammo for my ccw.
    ☆I also carry a 10mm Micro Carbine in a separate case in my trunk. 2x loaded 15rd clips. Has a red dot sight and 3x magnifier, also mbus flip up sights. And 2 extra boxes of Underwood 180gr XTP. I like XTP's because they are very accurate.

Anything else I need let me know. Or a better idea on something.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Carrying extra gas. I think it's a good idea say 1 or 2 gallon can. However, is there such a thing as a fumeless gas can? Right now I'm not carrying any because I've tested a few and they still stink the car up.
    If you know of one that actually works post it and where you bought it please.

☆Odorless candles. I found some at dollar tree that burn for over 60 hours each. Tested them. Cost $1 each.
    ☆Jumper cables
    ☆Survival blanket 2.0 for everyone in family just in case.
    ☆Grill lighter a good reliable one. Light candles for heat in car if broken down in extreme cold or blizzard.
    ☆Leather gloves
    ☆Good brand duct tape
    ☆30g Protein bars 3 for each family member.
    ☆Extra box of ammo for my ccw.
    ☆I also carry a 10mm Micro Carbine in a separate case in my trunk. 2x loaded 15rd clips. Has a red dot sight and 3x magnifier, also mbus flip up sights. And 2 extra boxes of Underwood 180gr XTP. I like XTP's because they are very accurate.

Anything else I need let me know. Or a better idea on something.

You can carry an empty can of gas in your trunk.
    It's better than nothing and it gives you the ability to walk to the nearest gas station to get gas.
    If it's going to be full of gas it needs to be outside like in the bed of a pick up truck, not in the cab.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For a day to day driving, I don't keep a gas can. If we need to leave indefinitely with questionable availability to refuel along the way then I'd stick enough Jerry cans in the back to refuel at least once. I don't think of a gas can as an essential day to day need for me, but if others need it then go for it.

The essentials I keep in my vehicle are what I'd take for an over night hike in a "get home bag" in addition to additional heavy tools that I wouldn't want to hand carry but I'm more than happy enough to let my vehicle haul for me. In my car I keep an axe & bow saw in a very light and handy sling thing I bought here: https://www.campcraftoutdoors.com/product-page/axe-saw-sling-bag In addition to that there's always either an e-tool or shovel of some kind, much bigger medical kit, jumper cables, slime tire kit, tow strap, road flare, glow stick, bigger tarp, additional rope etc.

I look at car kits very simply with two goals. 1.) I should be able to go to my vehicle and grab a backpack with everything I'd need to make my way home in a day or two and throw it over my shoulders and hitting the road never looking back at my vehicle in less than a minute. That level of "stuff" should be minimal, ready, and already tested. Everything else in the vehicle is a supplement to where that bag falls short. Sure, there's a lot that can be done with a good knife, but a big folding saw is even better. Sure there's a lot of fire kit things that are cute and bushcrafty, but I can pack a lot of easy fire making supplies in a little bag that's too big for a backpack, that easily disappears in a vehicle.

I don't plan to ever live out of my vehicle, but I want to be able to get an obstruction out of my way (fallen tree etc) if I can't easily drive around it. I also look at a vehicle as a last resupply point before having to make a long one way hike. I've hiked enough miles to know I have no intention of taking more gear or weight than I need to, and every tool in my vehicle has redundancy back home.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    First Aid kit?
    Flashlight?

Carrying extra gas. I think it's a good idea say 1 or 2 gallon can.

Don't carry gasoline in your car! Unless you have a broken gas gauge or are always running on empty what is the purpose of having 1-2 gallons of gas?

Figure out your plan for winter when water freezes.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    First Aid kit?
    Flashlight?

Don't carry gasoline in your car! Unless you have a broken gas gauge or are always running on empty what is the purpose of having 1-2 gallons of gas?

Figure out your plan for winter when water freezes.

Good points. Reason I was thinking gas is in case you break down and can still use the engine for heat in severe weather. I don't carry it unless something bad is supposed to be coming on.

Need to add those items you mentioned. How would I keep water from freezing in extreme cold while in the car? Any advice on that?

Top Bottom