Car kit essential items? Show us what's in your trunk INGO!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    A case of water in warm months, have figured out the freezing thing yet. Full socket set, empty gas can, 4 flash lights, 2 scissor jacks, 2 tire irons, 4ld mini sledge, folding hand saw, 2 sets of jumper cables, 4 fleece blankets, tarp rope, extra change of clothes for the little ones, box of breakfast bars, box of protein bars, extra shoes and socks for all, get home bag with clothes for me, four water bottles, 4 protein bars, extra box of carry ammo, rope, small tarp, AA batteries. Having the space of a minivan is nice :): also countless hot wheels cars floating around.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A case of water in warm months, have figured out the freezing thing yet. Full socket set, empty gas can, 4 flash lights, 2 scissor jacks, 2 tire irons, 4ld mini sledge, folding hand saw, 2 sets of jumper cables, 4 fleece blankets, tarp rope, extra change of clothes for the little ones, box of breakfast bars, box of protein bars, extra shoes and socks for all, get home bag with clothes for me, four water bottles, 4 protein bars, extra box of carry ammo, rope, small tarp, AA batteries. Having the space of a minivan is nice :): also countless hot wheels cars floating around.

If you're using substantial water carriers, just don't fill them all the way. Sufficient air space will allow the freezing water to expand. If you're carrying bottled water, most are flexible enough that they will survive freezing at least one time. If you keep them in a separate plastic tote, it will catch the water in case one ruptures.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I don't carry all that much in my car (I don't drive very far, or in places that aren't highly traveled), but last winter when the polar vortex came through I decided to add a couple of space blankets and 2 zippo hand warmers and fuel to a kit. I figured inside a car, between the blankets and the hand warmers, I could probably not freeze to death for a day or two if it really came to it. I also, for years now, carry 130 piece (I think?) cheap Harbor Freight tool kit and it's been really handy a bunch of times (customized with an LED light, some wire, tape, etc, etc). I also carry a tow strap. Not too worried about food and water as I'm envisioning a less than 12 hour situation (like waiting on a tow truck).

As far as the carrying extra gas thing goes, a buddy of mine habitually would run out of gas (and the guy was like 45 years old... just no sense) and I suggested that he should put a quart bottle of oil, but filled with gas, tucked behind the air box (or other not-hot) place under the hood of his vehicle. If you really really think you need to carry extra gas, and don't have a truck bed to put it in, that's probably your best bet. A quart of gas should get almost any vehicle a few miles down the road to the station or a few hours of idling to prevent freezing to death in the short term. Just a thought... Personally, especially in the winter, I just try to keep no less than 1/2 tank.

Again, I almost never drive more than my regular (short) commute, which is all heavily traveled roadways. If I were to go on a driving vacation, I'd want a lot more kit.

It should also goes without saying that I'm also carrying a gun and a Leatherman... I'd leave the house naked before those two items.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I pulled what ended up being a decent sized screw out of my tire. The low rush of air said I was going to be stuck soon. I used a plug kit and tire inflator to get rolling again in about 15 minutes without messing with a jack or spare tire.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I pulled what ended up being a decent sized screw out of my tire. The low rush of air said I was going to be stuck soon. I used a plug kit and tire inflator to get rolling again in about 15 minutes without messing with a jack or spare tire.

Perfect example of something that should be in every car kit!

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    Anyone have any organization ideas for a trunk on a small hatchback? I want to start carrying more items that I know I should have one me, but am lost about keeping it all neat and tidy. I searched around some EDC-centric forums, but most people there have large SUVs.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Anyone have any organization ideas for a trunk on a small hatchback? I want to start carrying more items that I know I should have one me, but am lost about keeping it all neat and tidy. I searched around some EDC-centric forums, but most people there have large SUVs.

I keep mine, part of it anyway, in a large storage plastic tub.With a shock cord on top to keep things from moving.

Similar to that ...

P1010389.JPG

My car first aid kit is in a backpack next to the plastic box thingy.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a couple of these that fit under the backseat of my wrangler. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939360569

There's a lot of places that make stackable luggage container just like these magazine cases from Midway, but I just happened to have two of them laying around so that's what I used. You can probably do a little searching around and find some good options that really keep things tidy, organized, and tucked away even cheaper than those.

Top Bottom