• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Thank you Kut......I think I will.

Do you think the Fifty Cent clock around Kuts neck keeps his stylish self warm in the winter ? :dunno:

Edit... I see why now, the clock has to be big enough to hold a Jon-e hand warmer inside.

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm not a dock worker and don't stomp around in the woods at all.
    Last winter ( average temp here: 10-20 degrees ) I picked up a Columbia 'interchange '. It has a zip out magic fleece under a wind/waterproof outer. A great jacket that's not bulky. Just wear appropriate clothing underneath and I was toasty blowing snow for 45 minutes.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Depends what you are doing, the Carhart style coats (I prefer Berne same quality half the cost) are nice for working and doing things outdoors where you might get dirty or snag on things like green briars. Northface is nice if you just need to walk to your car or a building.

I have a Berne coat and a pair of their painters blue jeans.. neither have given me any trouble. If we didn't have Cintas uniforms at work I'd probably buy a few more pair of their jeans.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I bought a north face heavy fleece jacket.. It's for looks because if any wind its not warm at all. I have the arctic carhartt jackets and bibs. Bought in mid 90's and just had to replace the zipper.. It's all good stuff. Have some Berne jackets, good but not as good a carhartt.
    I'm sure North face has warmer but I'm sticking with what I have. North face as a barn coat? Or cutting wood with one? Nope.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have neither brand, but will chime in with an observation!

Since I read this thread a few days ago, I started looking around at what people were wearing, primarily in Hamilton County, which may be a skewed view of the world, admittedly.

The only people I saw wearing North Face were women.

p.s. I go between Columbia and "Old Mill", which is the Menards brand of clothes. :)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Carhartt when it's cold:

G23133-lrg.jpg

Levis when it's chilly:

il_570xN.715273709_1ztr.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a couple of Carhartt 'hoodie' jackets that are awesome. Also have a Carhartt heavy coat, and it is toasty warm and nearly indestructible.

I've picked up some other random brands of casual jackets, and they last a year or two before starting to fray or something (usually the zipper) breaking. A couple of the Carhartts are 10+ years old.

Don't think I've ever owned a North Face jacket/coat. I do have a nice Nautica 'peacoat' that is my business/casual coat. Its held up pretty well, but doesn't get abused like the casual stuff does.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Coats seem like a good excuse for product snobbery. Why not?

Or, find practical reasons why one is "better" for you.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I have the same Key industries coat for the last 20 years. Its held up great. But its getting time to replace it. Not sure what i'll buy next. Something that my Dad taught me still sticks in my head. LAYERs. That is what counts. I think the general Northface style clothing makes a great base to middle layer of clothing that isn't to bulky so you can add your larger heavy winter coat on. A single layer is only good for running errands or from the house to the car and car to stores/work/etc.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Lets face it, just like suburbanites driving 4x4s in the city the choice of coat is driven by fashion more than need/performance. That walk from their heated homes to their remotely started cars to their heated offices could be done in flannel pajamas and bunny slippers.

Technical winter gear specific to your sport is amazingly well engineered and warm. I can bicycle outside in freezing temps for hours with just a lightweight wool base layer and a well designed jacket. Same for gear designed specifically running, skiing, hiking, etc. You hold it in your hand and it seems too thin to keep you warm but it works for the activity it is designed for. Note even North Face has fashion gear that is different from their performance gear.

If I worked outdoors day in and day out then Carhart style clothing specific to my profession/activity would be what I would wear.

Thankfully there are no pictures of what INGOers are wearing (or not wearing) as they post.

WELL said.. +1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Coats seem like a good excuse for product snobbery. Why not?

Or, find practical reasons why one is "better" for you.

I spend a good bit of time outdoors and HATE zippers that don't work or are difficult to use (e.g. Walls), and I need materials that don't catch on everything or tear easily. I've found my Carhartt are durable and warm, Levis are the same. I use my clothing like tools - I don't buy junk because I hate using Junk and I hate being let down. I will confess I've only owned one NF product and it was ok, didn't let me down, but I didn't get the sense it would last for years like the Carhartt and gave it away.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I love my Carhartt. I have a Columbia 3 in 1 that is pretty old and and I have your classic fleece North Face. I almost strictly wear my Carhartt for cold weather. When it gets really cold I wear my Columbia liner under my Carhartt. This is what I wore last Winter when I went to Wisconsin in December for work. It was -35 or so. I was nice and warm!

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    North Face, Columbia, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, Mountain Harwear and Marmot have pretty much all been "consolidated" of sorts and are under different ownership than they were 10years ago when they actually made decent clothes. Since then, there are few companies who make truly technical clothing; Arc'teryx, Sitka, TAD, and some other lesser well known brands make really great gear, but $$$$$$ ouch. That being said, most people will be fine assuming they know how to properly layer for the conditions they'll be in. Layering clothing will do more than and single piece of clothing ever will.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I spend a good bit of time outdoors and HATE zippers that don't work or are difficult to use (e.g. Walls), and I need materials that don't catch on everything or tear easily. I've found my Carhartt are durable and warm, Levis are the same. I use my clothing like tools - I don't buy junk because I hate using Junk and I hate being let down. I will confess I've only owned one NF product and it was ok, didn't let me down, but I didn't get the sense it would last for years like the Carhartt and gave it away.

That's what I'm talking about. Brand doesn't matter for anything other than its reputation for features you need for the job. The only North Face jacket I own is a rain coat. I didn't buy it because it says North Face on the front. I bought it because it had the features I needed for the uses I intended, and it was on sale. If I'm hiking in the rain, I can trade off durability for light weight and breathability of the North Face. If I'm working outside in the rain, I'm wearing something else that considers different trade-offs.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The North Face is the outdoor/sports line of the global hipster brand ESPRIT. 'Nuff said.

I hate **** that seeks more to be fashion at the expense of usability. I made the mistake of buying a Columbia light weight jacket last year. When I tried it on in the store I was wearing short sleeves, and it seemed to fit. Arms were long enough. Fit in the shoulders and around the belly. I didn't really try to move my arms around in it. First time I wore it with a long sleeved shirt, I noticed its arms were really skinny. WTF? I could barely get my arms through with long sleeves.

Top Bottom