• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Too bad they didn't outsource the appeal.

f7FdEdG.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

haha

From your lips, to God's ears. ;)

It does look like outside counsel filed the transfer petition. They also got IACT/IMLA to come in as amici. Looks like the attorney in the class action asked for permission to come in as amici for Speedy McSpeeder, but it hasn't been granted yet.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Today, the State GOP decided that the appointments were proper, reinstated them, and decided Campbell can't run the meeting.

The whole thing is messed up.

Last night, the County GOP (GOPc?) resolved Laura Campbell's appeal of the caucus that elected Pete Peterson the county chair. The issue came down to whether the email sent that officially nominated the PCs and VPCs was sent at least 30 days before the vacancy. The State GOP (GOPs?) determined that it was sent too late, invalidated the appointments, and it looks like Laura will be the new county chair.

Still messed up, but at least (IMHO) there's a chance of cleaning up the Hamilton County GOP.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Well, well, well...

I see from today's bird cage liner that the City of Carmel-By-The-Corn has had to shell out taxpayer bucks (again) to atone for their enthusiastic enforcement of the city's Driving-While-Black policy.

Some things never change.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, well, well...

I see from today's bird cage liner that the City of Carmel-By-The-Corn has had to shell out taxpayer bucks (again) to atone for their enthusiastic enforcement of the city's Driving-While-Black policy.

Some things never change.

Honestly, that situation was an honest mistake of the officer putting the plate in wrong, and getting a hit. The officer in question isn't like that at all. In fact he's one of the guys that rails against that type of behavior. The guy with the payday just leaned on the victim crutch. CPDs old reputation, I'm sure helped form that guys opinion it that he was being profiled, despite it not being true.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Honestly, that situation was an honest mistake of the officer putting the plate in wrong, and getting a hit. The officer in question isn't like that at all. In fact he's one of the guys that rails against that type of behavior. The guy with the payday just leaned on the victim crutch. CPDs old reputation, I'm sure helped form that guys opinion it that he was being profiled, despite it not being true.

OLD reputation??? Check the comments section for this story on Indystar's website.

The suspect named in the hit had a different name, was of a different race and had a different birth date, but did this plaintiff get profiled??

Nah.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OLD reputation??? Check the comments section for this story on Indystar's website.

The suspect named in the hit had a different name, was of a different race and had a different birth date, but did this plaintiff get profiled??

Nah.

No offense, LS, but you were out of law enforcement before I even got hired, and I'm considered "old." Times have changed, especially with search functions for IDACS/NCIC. What you do know, is that cops aren't perfect. We make mistakes. Maybe I'm in the minority of cops, but if I get a stolen vehicle hit, cuffs are going on until I get to the bottom of it. There was no profiling done this instance, just a lack of thoroughness, due to immediately the moment.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One good thing to come out of the ISP incident in the late 90s was that Carmel was an early adopter of in-car cameras and keeping track of stops. (Well, a federal consent decree helps with the motivation.)

As I recall, the incidence of minority stops is a lot less than what people would think, and in line with population-at-large statistics.

Of course, there is a contrarian view held by people over a certain age that Carmel's "old reputation" is frankly a good thing. Baby Boomers can get kinda odd in certain race issues.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Of course, there is a contrarian view held by people over a certain age that Carmel's "old reputation" is frankly a good thing. Baby Boomers can get kinda odd in certain race issues.

Let me guess. The discussion of "property values" never gets brought up in this crowd.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Let me guess. The discussion of "property values" never gets brought up in this crowd.

haha

Actually, while I can see how you'd jump to that, it isn't that at all. :) It is more, "We don't want our police to be that way, but if the bad guys think our police are that way, then that's really not a problem."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So... the most Republican county in Indiana... and the mayors of the major cities want a gasoline tax "for infrastructure." Of course, if they hadn't spent a metric shton of tax money on other stuff, it wouldn't really be an issue.

Hamilton County mayors seem supportive of gas tax hike | 2016-05-13 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

And Reddy McSpender himself is looking forward to big brother technology to help collect.
    Brainard suggested that the state consider basing the tax on mileage rather than gallons used as vehicles are becoming more fuel efficient, a proposal that would likely boost overall tax revenue, although the impact on individual drivers would be mixed.
    “The technology exists to do that—or it will soon,” Brainard said.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So... the most Republican county in Indiana... and the mayors of the major cities want a gasoline tax "for infrastructure." Of course, if they hadn't spent a metric shton of tax money on other stuff, it wouldn't really be an issue.

Hamilton County mayors seem supportive of gas tax hike | 2016-05-13 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

And Reddy McSpender himself is looking forward to big brother technology to help collect.

Government's appetite for tax dollars is insatiable. There's always some shiny new bobble to build.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So there I was on Father's Day, after doing Father-stuff and getting ready to do more Father-stuff, and the phone rang. Knew right away it was a marketing research firm from the Caller ID. Given that it is silly season, figured it was political, so I answered it. Sure enough, first question was to qualify on probable-voter status. Wanted to make sure I represented similiarly-thinking people in the stats (all 3 of us), so I told the in-person caller that I'd answer the questions.

Confirmed that I was almost certain to vote in the upcoming election.

Then it got interesting.

It was focused on Bus Rapid Transit, the Red Line, and IndyGo. On those questions (and it wasn't linear, the questions almost seemed randomized), I made known my opinion that I thought IndyGo was a fine institution, but that we didn't need to raise taxes to accommodate more transit for which there did not appear to be a need. Of course, the questions were phrased more like push-poll - "do you think we should maintain infrastructure to compete with other regions" - things like that.

They also asked my opinion of certain Republican politicians - BEFORE asking how I self-identified: Trump, Pence, and Brainard. They specifically asked if the race were between Trump and HRC, which one would I vote for. (I said neither.) Eventually (after some more BRT questions) they asked if I identified with either party (Republican) and how strongly. I said that before this year I would've said "very strongly" but based on the primary, I think I have to say "somewhat strongly." She laughed. I also stated that I identified as a conservative.

It was a pretty long phone call, and I'm pretty sure it was Republican-sponsored. I'm posting it in this thread, because I'm also pretty sure it was Carmel-focused. I think Brainard or a PAC is trying to drum up support for BRT and the associated tax increase.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And then there's this - apparently there are so many nannies in Carmel that the local .gov figures it is a great idea to nanny the entire community. (And make no mistake, the Carmelfest Board is politically connected.)

CarmelFest bans candy at July 4 parade

The parade's organizing committee released a statement saying candy can no longer be distributed by participants, citing safety concerns for children who tend to run into the street to collect the candy that has been tossed out. In recent years, parade marshals have said there was an increase in close calls when children darted out in front of moving parade vehicles.

"Although some people will be disappointed with the new parade policy, we can all agree that the most important part of any public gathering is a safe environment for family, friends and neighbors," said Cindy Roberts-Greiner, CarmelFest public relations director, in the news release.

CarmelFest is a function of the Carmel Rotary. President this year is City Court Judge Brian Poindexter. It has long been considered a political necessity to belong to Rotary, and it is strongly pro-Brainard.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And then there's this - apparently there are so many nannies in Carmel that the local .gov figures it is a great idea to nanny the entire community. (And make no mistake, the Carmelfest Board is politically connected.)

CarmelFest bans candy at July 4 parade

CarmelFest is a function of the Carmel Rotary. President this year is City Court Judge Brian Poindexter. It has long been considered a political necessity to belong to Rotary, and it is strongly pro-Brainard.

No candy? There will be riots!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So... so... so then... get this. The mayor has proposed a 40% raise for himself to ~$180k (not counting benefits). He'd be this highest paid mayor in the state.
    Carmel mayor?s budget proposes a 40 percent pay raise for himself

Of course, the councillors will be getting another $4k (plus health insurance at city rates) to help convince them to vote for the package.

City Attorney Doug Haney will get another raise to about $160k. Spending all that money on outside counsel is hard work....

Police and Fire Chiefs will be at about $145k.

Top Bottom