• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    It'll take a generation or so to get the people who just can't get it off the steets and into nursing homes. The other day I saw an old lady turn left into oncoming traffic going around the turnabout. She was probably wondering why the hell did they take out the traffic light and put in that landscaped island smack dab in the middle of the intersection.

I have seen more then my fair share of people completely losing it in roundabout. From the lady that I almost tboned, as served out of the way onto the circle, with a truck full of boxes from my move, when she failed to yield to individuals already in the circle (aka me)..... To countless older people going the wrong way around the roundabout.

The worst is NB Springmill and Main, where only one lane goes north and the other has to turn. I cant count the number of times I have been cut off there when people just decide to swerve into your lane without checking. Its almost as bad as 151 and greyhound pass near target, where no one knows who has the right of way (aka people on greyhound pass) and people just randomly stop on the road.

But not having to stop and able to cruise down to work in 10 minutes is worth it in my books.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The worst is NB Springmill and Main...

That one is #2 IMHO (and I remember trying to convince the city engineer at the time to standardize the markings somehow about which is the "through" and which are the designated turn lanes throughout the city).

For me, the worst is the entirety of the 116th and Keystone system. Each of those ingress/egress points has issues.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've been through your Carmelly roundabouts a few times and we have our fair share up in the Vale of Paradise...I'm pretty close to advocating proper roundabout use as a prerequisite to the right to vote. C'mon people.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Statues yes, roundabouts, no. They're cheaper than traffic lights.

Kut (knows you know that)

I love the roundabouts. The "cheaper" argument doesn't work on all occasions though. If an intersection already has something in place that is working, changing it to something else costs money that may not need spent. If it is a new build, or the intersection needs upgraded then great.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sorry for continuing the "roundabout" thread jack, Jeffersonville added new ones that have up to three lanes of roundabout goodness. Now, honestly, I like roundabouts, they do flow better when everyone understands how to use them. But most of the driving public are not ready for such advances. I mean, they turn left into oncoming traffic, on multi-lane roundabouts they can't figure out which lane to get in, and once they get into the circle they stop! The transition will be painful.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Roundabouts with 3 lanes are a bad idea. The ones with 2 lanes are tricky.

One issue, though, is that it will be difficult to go back. Even the bad ones keep traffic moving, which signals aren't really meant to do. Signals provide ordered stopping, but not much ordered moving when placed in series.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Roundabouts with 3 lanes are a bad idea. The ones with 2 lanes are tricky.

One issue, though, is that it will be difficult to go back. Even the bad ones keep traffic moving, which signals aren't really meant to do. Signals provide ordered stopping, but not much ordered moving when placed in series.

I will say this about traffic lights. The city of Fort Wayne knows how to do them. I lived there for ~15 years and after moving in the 90s I really missed their timed lights. Once you get past Glenbrook square you could be at Southtown Mall (about 5 miles) in a little over 10 minutes. In Louisville where they have 5 minute lights it can take 15 minutes just to go a few blocks if the lights catch you wrong.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I will say this about traffic lights. The city of Fort Wayne knows how to do them. I lived there for ~15 years and after moving in the 90s I really missed their timed lights. Once you get past Glenbrook square you could be at Southtown Mall (about 5 miles) in a little over 10 minutes. In Louisville where they have 5 minute lights it can take 15 minutes just to go a few blocks if the lights catch you wrong.

Yeah, Ft. Wayne timed them beautifully. Here in Funcie, they actually quit the timing on some lights to slow people going through downtown. :facepalm: Plus, none of the other lights on the three major roads are timed. If you are luck you can get 2/3s of them.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I will say this about traffic lights. The city of Fort Wayne knows how to do them. I lived there for ~15 years and after moving in the 90s I really missed their timed lights. Once you get past Glenbrook square you could be at Southtown Mall (about 5 miles) in a little over 10 minutes.

In the '90's? That place was almost a ghost town by then.

And yes, the major roads in the Ft Wayne are really efficient.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In the '90's? That place was almost a ghost town by then.

And yes, the major roads in the Ft Wayne are really efficient.

Yeah, Southtown Mall was still there when I left, and it was a ghost town. I think the biggest lessee was the cop shop. And maybe a car dealer.

Over the holidays I visited Fort Wayne for the first time in many years. So much has changed I almost didn't know my way around. I used to drive I-69 to work from Dupont Rd to Illinois road every day. It was just two lanes each way of pure bumper to bumper slowness.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It'll take a generation or so to get the people who just can't get it off the steets and into nursing homes. The other day I saw an old lady turn left into oncoming traffic going around the turnabout. She was probably wondering why the hell did they take out the traffic light and put in that landscaped island smack dab in the middle of the intersection.

Dude, I'm old, but I'm no lady.

Traffic circles suck.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Well, in danger of contributing to the roundabout threadjacking, I have to admit that I enjoy not sitting in line at a four-way stop for minutes and minutes at rush hour. Even though I'm a bit old, I was able to figure them out fairly well.

My father-in-law, on the other hand, DESPISES them and threatened to vote out all the Greenwood (yeah, the other side of the big city) councilpersons who allowed such an abomination... even those outside of his district (not sure how that works....) :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dude, I'm old, but I'm no lady.

Traffic circles suck.

Oh. Allow me to help you. When you approach a roundabout, yield to traffic already going around the circle. If there are multiple lanes on the roundabout, decide ahead of time which lane you'll need. Generally three-lane roundabouts are used for the busiest 4-way crossroads and work like this. The inside lane is for taking the the road that is ~270 degrees around the roundabout from where you are. The middle lane is for taking the road that is across from where you are. The outside lane is for taking the road directly to the right of where you are. So when you have a clear path to the lane in the roundabout you need, turn right and merge onto the circle in the lane you need. Once on the circle you have the right-of-way. DON'T ****ING STOP! Keep going until you reach the road you need then merge onto that road. Multiple lane roundabouts have solid and dashed lines. STAY IN YOUR LANE. When you reach the road you need to turn on, if you're in the correct lane the line will become a dashed line and it should be easy to tell where you should go.

See? As Sam Axe used to say, it's "easy-peazy". Okay, so it doesn't take a whole paragraph to explain how to navigate a four-way intersection with a traffic light. But it IS better. I promise.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've been through your Carmelly roundabouts a few times and we have our fair share up in the Vale of Paradise...I'm pretty close to advocating proper roundabout use as a prerequisite to the right to vote. C'mon people.
    East Chicago has a new roundabout. I call it the circle of impending doom.

Top Bottom